PDA

View Full Version : New Board features...

harbormaster
06-16-2002, 12:11 PM
I can now edit member titles. For example, a registered member who has made fewer than five posts might be called a "Newbie". This Newbie could later graduate to an "Enthusiast" or even a "Message Board Junkie"! I can set up to 15 levels for new titles.

I need for you folks to give me suggestions on level names and amount of posts required to reach each level.

Click on your profile to view new features of the latest upgrade of the board. You can now add your own avatars.
Check it out...

Have fun!

Tommy McDermott
06-16-2002, 03:14 PM
do newbies up to 100 posts
member 100-250 posts
super member 250-500
500-750 dont know a name!
750+ message board junkie
just my 2 cents

Formula Jr
06-16-2002, 04:01 PM
1000 posts = Certifiable

1500 posts = Evangelist

2000 posts = Zealot

2500 posts = Magus

3000+ posts = Donzi Vorlon

wink

harbormaster
06-16-2002, 09:15 PM
I need for you guys to be serious about this...

Formula Jr
06-16-2002, 09:18 PM
I am being serious. :D

Or you could just try naval levels of rank (http://www.clancyfaq.com/milranks.htm) at 50 post intervals. Several of us are already well beyond the 1000 post mark. Some of us would be higher if we had not changed our handles......

You would probably want to use "Commodore" instead of "Rear Admiral - Lower Half" wink

Sagbay32
06-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Navel Rank could be cool.

harbormaster
06-17-2002, 01:50 AM
C'mon FJ cut the crap. I am trying to get some info here.

Formula Jr
06-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Just having some fun Scot. Chill.

You could also post the ensign flags for numbers. Or rank the fish caught flags.
Sailfish or Marlin being somewhere on top.

Dalelama
06-17-2002, 07:09 AM
I secound the NAVAL rank theme......
Ens.
Lt. JG
Lt.
LCDR
CDR
Capt.
Com.
RADM
VADM
ADM

You figure the posting criteria.........

CDMA
06-17-2002, 07:18 AM
Engine wiper
Mechanic
Navigator
Throttle man
Driver
Team owner
DON

Navy theme isn't bad though

Digger
06-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Scot, great job! the do-your-own avatar feature is awesome! Very user friendly. As for the rank or categories for number of posts, I don't think we need it. I don't think the number of posts really mean all that much. Some people are more chatty than others, some are able to spend more time on the website than others. I've been posting a pantload here the last few months since I'm stuck at my desk most of the day. People contribute to the board as they can/want. Not to offend anyone, but I think the concept of ranks or distinctions for number of posts made seems a bit mickey mouse.

just my .02

harbormaster
06-17-2002, 08:50 AM
FJ it was that pic of your naval tha gave me cold chills. eeeeewwww.

Digger I see your point. I really think that there should maybe only be 3 levels. 1st for people who do not post or hardly post at all. 2nd for people who post. Finally 3rd for the regulars who post every other day and helpful to folks who are asking questions.

I could also designate custom ones to specialty folks. Example: If you know alot about alpha1 drives and like to help folks, have it in your title. Alpha Pro, Bravo Pro, Chev SB Stroker Pro, Chev 502 Pro, Chev 454 Pro, Boat paint Pro, Gelcoat Pro etc...

Tommy McDermott
06-17-2002, 10:03 AM
ive been on a few other forums with post count and all that ever happens on them is a persons knowledge is judged by howmany posts they have.

CnV & Family
06-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Harbormaster... I see a combination of things. As was stated before, the number of posts should not be equated to how knowledgable one is.

Why not base it on post frequency and knowledge, only adding pro if they are indeed a pro on something or in their field (as the majority here seem to be):

Seldom Posts:
<Example Name>
<Avatar>
Pro - Interior Restoration

anyway, just an idea. This could also lead to a section for users to post business/contact names and numbers and possibly an address where they like to get their work done or where they get/order their parts from. Would just be an easy to reference list...

-C

harbormaster
06-17-2002, 12:55 PM
CB&V,

I am not sure I understand the last part of your post shown below....

Seldom Posts:
<Example Name>
<Avatar>
Pro - Interior Restoration

RH
06-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Oh great Harbormaster here is my .02 worth! I grew up around boats, and have had numerous boats all of my life. This Donzi is the boat that I have dreamt about for years. Since becoming addicted to this wonderful site, I have learned more about drives, props, carbs, you name it. It has been unbeleiveable. Still I do not consider myself much of a contributor about anything, but my own personal experiences. As for the rating system, I would hate to see you go to the trouble of accounting for every contributors status. Use the KISS method, I'd be happy as a bilge scrubber just as long as I can still post and enjoy everyone else's contributions.
RH

Ranman
06-17-2002, 04:16 PM
I don't mind the titles, so long as they are meant for humor purposes only. There are many many experts on the board, some who post alot and some who don't. Anyone who hangs here for a short while knows who the pros are. The titles should strictly apply to ones number of posts and be for entertainment only.

As for adding specialty titles, I say go for it. I think it would be fun if the members suggested the titles for others.

I think he with the most posts should be called the "Ultimate Post Whore". Randy

...thinking "knows enough to be dangerous" would be a good title.

Stix Magill
06-17-2002, 07:58 PM
I simply appreciate your effort. I am sure whatever you decide will be perfect! :)

Stix Magill

Oh great.... now I will I wake up to a rating of biggest brown noser. eek!

Formula Jr
06-17-2002, 08:05 PM
I still think the Gut-Meter has some merit...... most of you guys didn't see it, but I was LMAO.
Hey! Mike Started It!!!!!!!

If for nothing else, it got Ms. Toona to blush. :D

And ya gotta admit, there are some world class bellys on this board. wink

I'm with Digger/Ranman et. al. on this. We should poke fun at ourselves with any sort of rating system. Something really strange, kind hearted and wonderful at the same time. I mean we got the Star thingy and the # posts is already there.

harbormaster
06-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Oh I get it. Sorta like the new title under your avatar? :D :D :D :D :D

Formula Jr
06-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Oky I am laughing so hard the eyes are tearing and I might have to puke right on thru to dry heaves, at which point I'll still be laughing......... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

harbormaster
06-17-2002, 11:07 PM
By the way Owen,

I love that picture of your dog. He looks like quite a character.

ToonaFish
06-17-2002, 11:20 PM
That was no blush that was an allergic reaction! :D

Classifications?

"Conversant with a pitot..."
"Eyeballed Owen's bushy belly..."
"Has had a post deleted by the HMaster..."

Bunches,

Celene 'member the days when...'

Owen and Henry share a Hallmark moment...
http://donzi.net/photos/chowardmorningbreath.jpg

Formula Jr
06-17-2002, 11:26 PM
I can say with out doubt that Henry LOVES this kind of boating. He lives for it, head in the air stream, rocken with the waves. He is a fitting Avatar.

Oh Celene, fair play....play fair :D

Formula Jr
06-18-2002, 12:41 AM
Madpoole is the current high number post holder.

harbormaster
06-18-2002, 01:41 AM
Here is a pic of my dog "Bud". He wouldn't be caught dead near the water.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/devildog.gif

CnV & Family
06-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Ah, just trying to make it fun...

I'll use myself for example...

CB&V's Donzi
Regular Poster
<avatar>
"Does this guy exist?"

or

MadPoodle
Posting Maniac
<avatar>
"Pro - Gearhead"

I see you already got it by F-Jrs tagline :)

-C

Digger
06-18-2002, 06:39 AM
this is gettin hilarious...I would like to add something witty but I've only had a half cup of coffee so far and I have a meeting in 10 minutes..
yaaaawwwn

p.s. Scot I like my new "title", thx :D

Dalelama
06-18-2002, 06:58 AM
I've known Badpoodle Baxter since 1974...
And believe me, if it wasn't for this board, he wouldn't have much of a life, except "honey-do" missions for the real Boss at home... wink :)

Where's the info for avitar manipulation?

harbormaster
06-18-2002, 07:28 AM
go to your profile and poke around...

Ranman
06-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Scot, It seems that if you don't already have an avatar, there's no provision in the "my profile" area to select one. I think that once you have been given an avatar, then you can upload and select your own. We were trying to set one up for Donzi Jenn and could not figure out how. If this is the case, please assign her an avatar and we'll change it at home. Thanks. Randy

Tommy McDermott
06-18-2002, 10:19 AM
another idea, have another forum titled "nation lounge" or something of the sort where people can post nonsense stuff. anyone ever wanted to check what others thought of a movie?

harbormaster
06-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Wrong Ranman.
1. First upload your properly sized avatar (approximately 100 x 100) in .gif format.

2. Click on "My Profile"

3. Then click on "View/Update Profile"

4. Click on "Select a different Avatar Image"

5. In the "Use Custom URL:" box, type the path to your avatar.
(example http://www.donzi.net/photos/ranman.gif)

6. At the top of the page click on "Select This Avatar" and close the AVATAR window.

7. On your profile page click on the "update profile" button.

Thats it.

Ranman
06-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Scot, Last night when we logged in as Donzi Jenn and couldn't figure out the avatar thing, I decided to log in as myself (Ranman). When I went to "my profile" I found the avatar selection link. It was below "My Birthday" and above "My Signature". I said OK there's where you set it up. When we logged back in as Donzi Jenn, there was no avatar selection option between "Birthday" and "Signature". I assumed that since she has never had an avatar yet, the almighty Harbormaster must assign the first one to get her started. Anyway, I'll look again when I get home tonight. I'm usually pretty good at setting this stuff up, but I'm stumped. Randy

roadtrip se
06-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Worked for me.

Thanks Scott

Mark Albers
06-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Harbor Wizard :(

I think this whole ranking/rating things is very high schoolish

What was that Rush song ??? (subdivisions)

Many people (not to mention names) on this list dont even own a Donzi !!!

What is the difference if me or someone else has 1000 or 4 replies ???

If your systems holds true ....
The guy with 38 footer and the twin screws would be the master and the rest of us would be dingy commanders

Come on
Lets leave the rating game to the golf sites

Mark 311 :p
Sarasota - - - W F O (was she a 7 or a 10)

Last Tango
06-18-2002, 06:07 PM
Ya know... we already HAVE a rating system. TWO actually: numbers of posts, and numbers of stars. Neither will help you.
Everyone who reads these boards already knows who most of the real experts are. And, with the exception of MadPoodle, most of those have not done a lot of posting lately...BigGrizzly, GeneD, Emmo, and many more.
SO, I suggest we drop the idea, including the stars ratings. Numbers of posts are a fun number but really mean very little, because quite a few of the most recent heavy posters are not the experts, but rather those seeking expertise from those who are.
I think it is wonderful how quickly we assimilate new members who want to be here. I love this board.
Mark :cool: (Supreme SEADOG)

Bandit
06-18-2002, 06:21 PM
As far as I'm concern, everybody here is 5 star to me. wink

Also, as I found out during AOTH II, there's several of you sandbagging your specialty info so you can just visit here and have fun and select the tech Q's of your choice.

Harbormaster, I like your idea of naming the members as you see fit...and Owen's cracked me up!!! :D