PDA

View Full Version : STEERING!!!!!

Moody Blu'
08-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Just when I think I have everything worked out something else arises.

I fixed my water problem
I fixed my surging problem

Now I have to fix my steering.

whats the best line to take for steering?

should I upgrade to something?
should I go for hydraulic?
anyone got a used hydraulic steering assembly?

My steering had seemed to be "stripped"(it would turn to the right and when i would try to correct it woudl just stripp the gear?
I took the original 1971 teleflex steering box apart.and it looks like the gear that turns the cable weas a bit stripped and that gear was also split in the middle a bit.I took a hammer and pressed both sides of the cable gear back together and zip tied the sides together.I then put it back together hoping that would fix it..
No LUCK :(

so do I need a new cable?
and a cable gear?

anyone have a steering box I could try out?

and for the important question..

If I do need a new cable for my baby, what is the model# of the cable for a 18' classic?

I figured i ask here to save me some aggravation looking around for a non exsistant part# on the cable....

thanks in advance for any help and suggestions

the one thing that sucks is that my friend met up with me in his newly powered hp500 28' velocity and we couldnt even cruise together. my boat kept turning right and I had to pretty much come off plane to correct it. frown

THESCOOTER
08-12-2002, 02:38 PM
moody blu
l. hydraulic is expensive
2. i am not sure but most of the hydr. systems out there require a pump . so you will have to install a pump on you engine with a belt.
3. the quickest way to get running is to replace everything you have . go to a marine repair shop or parts store or house. with all your parts. i think the steering is standard all you need is the right length cable. i a using a teleflex system. had it installed in 98 or 99. they used my same steering wheel at my request but everything else is new. good luck the scooter
1970 28 bertram baron twin holman moodys 302s
P.S.maybe sombody has a better idea this way is not hard on the wallet

AVickers
08-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Been there, done that.

You can replace the whole Teleflex setup with a new one -- just like the one you had... Unfortunately, with all the product liability stuff out there, the new one won't be rated for your horsepower or maximum speed.

You can also go w/ an internal hydraulic setup. This will require buying a helm pump (and cutting your dash a bit), a ram (and fabricating a mount for it onto the rear of the exhaust manifold or the transom) and the hoses, fittings and fluid. There is a grabbag of parts available from Teleflex and it's a Zero Feedback system. NO MORE TORQUE STEER TRYING TO RIP THE WHEEL FROM YOUR HANDS.

I used a 1.5" dia X 7" stroke ram (Part# HC5314 BA150-7ATM) and a 2 cu-in helm. If I were to do it over again, I'd use the 2.4 cu-in helm for a faster steering response (fewer turns, lock-to-lock). I'm not sure if they are available, but you could also use a smaller diameter ram to get a quicker helm response. Either or both would quicken the response to helm. The helms are available in front, rear and retrofit mounts and they are also available in tilting configurations.

Teleflex Hydraulic Helms (http://www.seastarsteering.com/STERNDRIVE/stern.htm?../STERNDRIVE/sternF3.htm&2)

(My system transformed the boat -- for the better. Before, I was reluctant to let anyone drive it 'cause the torque steer was so violent. Afterwards, I'd let my kids drive... "Look Ma, no hands!)

MOP
08-12-2002, 04:48 PM
http://www.seastarsteering.com/OVERVIEW/oview.htm

RT
08-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Moody, call me, I may be able to help. Artie.

Craig
08-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Check out Uflex too (hydraulic system). Very good, but a good bit less expensive than Seastar system. Do a search for "Aftermarket Marine." Pretty sure they have a good price for that.

Greg Maier
08-12-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm getting ready to convert over to full hydraulic on the Blackhawk. I'll have the old system just collecting dust. I beleive the old system is an internal hydraulic morse system.

Cuda
08-12-2002, 07:12 PM
I've twisted out the gears on three steering boxes of the teleflex on my open fish. The damn thing just steered hard since the day it came off the showroom floor. Changed everything including the cable, still was awful. They don't make one with tougher gears either. The gears are made of crap metal. Last year when I repowered it, I had them put hydraulic steering on it too. What a difference. It went from feeling like a Mack truck to a feeling like a Vette. I'm not sure what brand it was or what it cost (got a price with engine, steering, guages, and a windsheild), but it was damn sure worth it.

Cuda
08-12-2002, 07:13 PM
PS, there is no pump that runs off the engine.

pmreed
08-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Mine does. It's that pump-looking thing mounted on a bracket run off the serpentine belt along with the alternator and the 2 water pumps. Basic 502 Mag MPI with stock power steering.

Phil

harbormaster
08-12-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a steering box and cable. I am not sure if it will work for you. It came out of a cobalt.

David Ochs
08-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Back when I rebuilt my boat, I sent my helm back to Teleflex to be rebuilt. They sent back two of them, the original that I sent them and a brand new one. As I recall I only sent them around $50-
They were great, so is the new box. I think the "Big-T" box is still available.

BigGrizzly
08-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Here is the scoop. If you go hydraulic steering Telefles makes the easiest for internal, with a Capro helm pump that needs no power. Uves has both a internal and external cable. No misprint-I did say external for the older Volvo.
The other alternative which is what I did on the Corsican is the Rack from teleflex (about $140 complete from Overton's). It is head and sholders beyon the normal cable spring thing. I had the old twin cable racingineand it was looser than the rack is. It has been on for 5 years and is still good. The next alternative is what Gene Shmitt did on Chi-Chi with a external ram from Hynautic and a manual pump which takes out all play on the old Volvo. I was hoping he was comming to Eufala so I couldtake some pictures of his for future Corsican mods.

Randy

MOP
08-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Many years back I saw a volvo with the Hydraulic steering mounted on the top cap. I'm not sure if it was custom. It was about 1-1/2 thick machined for the upper bearing and under cut to fit over the top of the drive. The tiller arm stuck out the back about 8" the ram was on a big knucle. Has anyone run into that setup? If you go with hydraulic go for the helm that you can adjust for how many turns lock to lock.

Moody Blu'
08-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Im gonna try and buy a new steering box and see if that fixes it, the cable seems to be in good shape, I think the gear is just junk.......

well see this weekend.

I have been thinkng about a power assisted type steering.

griz is that steering your talking about a power assisted type?

BigGrizzly
08-13-2002, 10:52 PM
No all manual I don't have a pump and am not getting one. the Corsican is great the way it is

Randy

Cuda
08-13-2002, 10:52 PM
That's the problem. The gears are all junk!

Moody Blu'
08-13-2002, 11:10 PM
ya the gears are cast aluminum... JUNK!!!!!!

I have cracked so many cast aluminum pieces on my bike....counter balancers, clutch perches....etc
I had to buy custom pieces made out of billit aluminum for my bike...

I had the same exact steering box on my 13' boston whaler(when I was age 11-13)
when I went to the marine shop they had 2 of the exact same steering boxes in stock.So if there so commn im gonna look around for a junkyard boat and try the gear in side it(as long as if its the same model)

I'm gonna try a new box and find out if the cable is still good and the gear just crapped out...

THESCOOTER
08-14-2002, 04:50 PM
moody blu ,
it is to late in the year to get involved in a major switch. if everything else is running i would do the same and i did do the same. put the boat in the water run it and have fun to finish out the season. look at the other system over the next few weeks and change over in the winter. my personal opion is extenal hydrl. with a pump off the engine not hydl assit interal because the volvo steering is just ok at best unless u do major rubber bushing update and maint on the helmut and yoke like now i did i can drive my boat at4000 and eat lunch eat i now allow my daughter to drive good luck the sccoter

Moody Blu'
08-14-2002, 05:20 PM
I wish I could hold up on the change but the gear is stripped, I cant steer....

M.o.p. and artie are coming to the rescue and there giving me a steering helm.

I believe there giving me a "big T"DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE OLDER CLASSICS CAME WITH "BIG T "STEERIGN BOXES??????

Donzified
08-14-2002, 07:33 PM
I went with external hynautic ram ,mounted to the top of the 270 drive. Everything on the 270 volvo is not up to the task of stearing the Donzi. I went through more than my share of cables and gears to the point that they can not be trusted.

Moody Blu'
08-14-2002, 08:28 PM
how much does the external hydraulic steering stuff go for?

and does anyone know if theres a better place to buy the hydraulics?

like maybe through a caterpillar dealer?

MOP
08-15-2002, 07:51 AM
You can find the rams alot cheaper, they will not be marine grade but can be kept painted and greased I seen many last a long time. But you need to get the marine helm so your saving maybe $60-80. What I would do is poke around old boat yards you may find and old setup that can be re-habbed. I found a beautiful all brass housing S/S ram that is now in a buddies boat.

Forrest
08-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Broque, I think the real question at this point is, how fast do you want to get your Donzi back on the water? Replacement parts (big T head, new cable, etc.) can be bought anywhere and you're back on the water next weekend. On the other hand, hydraulic is better, but by the time you figure out which way to go, obtain all the parts at the right price, and do the installation, there will be snow on the ground!

Moody Blu'
08-15-2002, 11:23 AM
ya forrest, im probably more antsy then anyone on the forum when it comes to getting my boat fixed..

rt (artie) and M.o.p.(phil) are meeting me on rt80 to hook me up with a big T and a cable and steering wheel...ALSO im dropping off some money to artie for my new drive WITH TRIM wink wink :)YAY!!!

phil didnt feel like unbolting the steering box soooooo I get a package deal.....

damn my garage is going to turn into madpoodle's if this keeps up....

MOP
08-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey Moody I looked through my treaure trove found three Big T's Art & I will see you later!

Moody Blu'
08-15-2002, 12:35 PM
did you find a treasure trove hydraulic steering assembly unit too?

lol j/k :p