PDA

View Full Version : Rules of the Road

RickR
07-08-2003, 10:09 AM
I rode with a friend last weekend (in his 455 jet drive Glastron eek! ) and realized even with his 50 years experience he did not know the "Rules of the Road" on the water.

While driving our Donzis we get alot of attention and need to set an example.

Everyone should know "Right of Way"
With all the traffic out there, while in channels, intercoastal and narrow areas, we should drive on the right hand side and pass on-comming boats port to port. If they are from England or Japan and are boating on the left side of the channel, I try to make a point and force them to pass on my port side.

Also when skiing, swimming, driving slowly or stopping move over to the side or out of the channel so we do not impede traffic.

Spirited driving should only be done away from traffic and on open water :D

Be aware of your wake. I cannot belive how many drivers feel that slowing down to an almost planning speed will lessen their wake :mad: We call that "Maximum Wake Speed"
When passing small boats (especially kayaks and canoes) I drop off plane and pass slowly.

Guys please post more suggestions!

HyperDonzi
07-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Dont run your dry pipes at 6am at the docks.

Watch who you pass, fishermen seem to get pretty upset when I pass them when their sitting, Im far enough away to barely be able to see the middle finger.

2biguns
07-08-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm amazed at the total lack of observance of "No Wake Zones" this year by all manner of boaters (not just those Chariots of Satan PWCs). I was sitting at the gas pump last week when a 30' Checkmate went cruising by at 1/2 plane. It took 4 of us to keep my boat from shredding the dock posts. But for a pregnant wife and it being early in the day from a beer-consumption standpoint, I would have done something that would have required confessing to the priest on Sunday.

smoothie
07-08-2003, 11:57 AM
LOL :D hyper..thats a good one to remember about the middle finger,BTW is there a place to park the boat by the beach on your lake and are the boat launches in better shape than last fall?

RedDog
07-08-2003, 03:14 PM
So Rick was seen in a 455 jet boat last weekend. He was also spotted piloting a familar big block 454 18 Classic. I noted a $#!& grin as he launched off of the wakes - first mate Mason had a similar smile :D

HyperDonzi
07-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Smoothe, Can park by the beach, dont know why you would want to? Ramps are all fixed, they got them done a week after we were all there. Are you planning a trip down here soon?

Tommy

smoothie
07-08-2003, 09:16 PM
hyper,yea this weekend if the rain stops,it looks like a good lake for watersking and the kids like to swim also,thats why I was asking about the beach.

HyperDonzi
07-09-2003, 08:21 AM
I have a cousins graduation party this saturday, in Cleveland, will be here all of Sunday, and off work.

Tommy

Donzi Dreaming
07-09-2003, 08:27 AM
You mean it isn't like down island:

"Da bigger da boat, Da right di way!!!"

:D wink

John