PDA

View Full Version : "Sirius Satellite Radio System"

gjohns6896
08-11-2002, 09:36 AM
I was reading about this satellite deal. Anybody know anything about it?

I doubt I would install that HUGE antena on my little 18 footer, but they have it for sale. Price for the radio alone is $250.

What is the subscription service price? Is it like that XM radio now?

Here's the site...it is made by Jensen Audi.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=117638

Sorry about that HUGE address, but it would not work any other way.

George

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 11:27 AM
i think it is around 8-10 bucks a month. for that price, buy a cd burner and burn your own cd's.

gjohns6896
08-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Hey, lads! I got this e-mail back today from the Sirius people. This is what she wrote:

"Thank you for contacting Sirius Satellite Radio inquiring about the cost of our service. Our service is subscription based. There is no contract required. We currently accept payment by credit card (Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Discover) or by a branded debit/check
card. We offer the following payment options:

Monthly $12.95
Quarterly $38.85
Semi-Annually $77.70
Annually $149.99

Taxes may apply based on your service address. There is also an initial one-time activation fee of $15.00. Taxes may apply to both your subscription and activation fees based on your service address. Sign up now for Sirius Satellite Radio as an annual charter subscriber and receive three months of service completely free!

For three months free you can have the finest quality audio entertainment from the most renowned names in the business like Public
Radio International, ESPN, BBC Radio, E! Entertainment, and many more. Also, you'll get coast-to-coast coverage, 100% commercial-free music and superior sound resolution with our exclusive S>PLEX technology. This offer is only available until the end of August so you must act quickly. If you decide to take advantage of our online activation for new subscribers, be sure to use the campaign code 3_MONTH_OFFER."

It is STILL another monthly payment! But my main concern was how well it would work on the water...without any kind of antenna.

I guess I will send them ANOTHER e-mail.

George

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 03:35 PM
15+150 for a year=165
i recently bought a 32x write speed cd burner for 30. there were rebates, w/o them it would have been 90. cd players work on water, and it takes 2min 30 sec to burn a 700mb 80 min cd with it.

harbormaster
08-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey Baja. George asked about Satellite radio not burning CDs!

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 07:05 PM
sorry, i just see burning cd's as a much more economical than 12$ a month and 250 for a reciever.
if you do go satellite, i would like to know what you think of it.

McGary911
08-11-2002, 09:01 PM
I have a bunch of friends in the radio biz (i used to do morning radio), and they say the signal quality is great, but the programming is so-so. But then i also have a friend that has XM radio in his car, and he loves it. The antenna on his car is ugly as hell. It would look worse on a donzi. There are some antennas that arent as big. goto www.terk.com (http://www.terk.com) and you can see what some of them are like. I know one of them doesnt have a stalk, its just kind of a lump, about the size of a computer mouse. Without an antenna, you will be out of luck.....

gjohns6896
08-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Scot, thanks for the clarification there. I am talking SAT systems here.

At any rate, if you go to the West Marine website, they show a WHOLE package to buy all the stuff needed for the Sat system. They even have the HUGE antenna. I have a CB in my Jeep, and I am NOT about to mount any kind of antennas on my Donzi!

I think I just talked myself out of getting the sat deal. Sound quality or not, if it has to be FACING the sky, can't do it.

And I already have a cd burner on my new Sony VAIO PC. I used it for about a week straight going through all 300 of my CDs and copying those songs I listen to...only amounted to about 3 Cds...you can put A LOT of songs on one of those CDs.

I think I am going with a cheapy but high-powered deck, if I ever buy one since I already have the speakers.

George

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 11:43 PM
if you stay cd, get a player that plays the mp3 format, 200+ songs fit to a disk depending on quality and length....... if satellite, it will be the next common thing one day. maybee mounting the antenna in the gunnel running length wise would give decent reception, i do it now with a regular reciever

Ranman
08-12-2002, 08:55 AM
If I remember correctly, George and Bonnie Culotta have a 22 Classic with Satellite Radio. He has what looked loke a computer mouse mounted just in front of one of the rear engine vents. Anyone have a pic of georges boat?

Sean
08-12-2002, 10:20 AM
There is a 38 Powerquest on our lake with this service. I'll see if I can track him down and see how he likes it and the $$ involved. I don't remember seeing a huge antenna pertruding from his boat though. I'll check to see how his reception is.

Sean
08-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Talked to the Powerquest owner. He has XM satellite service. He has over 200 channels for approx $10.00 a month. He purchased his receiver and got service through Ultimate Electronics. I assume this is a national chain. He said his antenna looks like a pimple the size of a hockey puck. No jokes please. :rolleyes: He set his on his dash. He said sound quality and selection is great. I assume this is much like Sirius. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the brand of deck you purchase determines what service you can subscribe too?

HyperDonzi
08-12-2002, 03:37 PM
im sure the deck also affects quality and reception. look at cell phones.

Dalelama
08-12-2002, 03:50 PM
HP,

I like the Satellite service for NASCAR broadcasts.. not always avaikabke (or recievable) in the S Florida area. Quite similar to music channels available on DirecTV, it saves alot of time & expense on downloading/burning CD's.... although there's merit to that process too..... a quality CD deck with XM or Sirius capability is the best option.

Terk makes a mouse sized antenna that will perfectly replace my outdated & tarnished air horns, located on the front deck.

gjohns6896
08-12-2002, 10:42 PM
Okay. So, for just playing some tunes in the boat, is the satellite system worth it? The Sirius one sounds like too much money and too much monthly fee. The "XM Radio" deal sounds better...monthly deal is cheaper but I do not know the price of any receivers.

The Sirius one is $250, with nothing more than the receiver.

I will keep looking.

George

JP BRESCIA
08-14-2002, 02:29 PM
I had to bring this topic back up front. Sirius Sat Radio has tremendous financial problems. I am a securities broker who has followed the stock for the past several years. I even owned it a few times. I luckily sold it at $22/share in 2000. The company recently released the finacial results of the past quarter and it was very poor. If they cannot raise enough cash soon, they announced they will have no choice but to file for bancruptcy. To compound the problem, they are way off the forcast for new subscribers. Subsequently, the stock is currently trading at .80 cents and down .55 cents today alone. FYI the trading symbol is "SIRI"
The symbol for XM Sat Radio is "XMSR" ($2.84/shr).

My 2c.

gjohns6896
08-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Just to add one more point to the mix, the Sirius system I was looking at that cost $250 was made by Jensen, or rather, had their name on it. If you look in the brand new September "Car Audio" Boating edition, it is on pages 12 & 13 as an ad.

Once again, this ad has Jensen on the unit.

George

Donzified
08-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Here in Detroit the radio is up to snuf,In the Penn. moutains the sat. radio is needed.