PDA

View Full Version : Bench Seat Hornet known as "The Ultimate" HAS BEEN SAVED!!!!!

Scott Pearson
08-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Ok....here is the real story.I was just seeing what would turn up on the last post...Couldn't help myself. Most of you know I have been in search of the "Ultra-Rare" bench seat hornet. I think thats how Woodsy put it in a post awhile back.You know that disorder I have known as Donzitis.

Any whooo...I just picked up this 1967 Hornet from the owner on Friday. Its a long story but I have kinda been working on this for over a year with no luck until recentely. But,thanks to some very good and close friends its become a done deal!

So I go to Long Island Friday to close the deal and pick the boat up. All went well with putting new lights on the trailer, greasing the bearings, tieing the boat down and new tires. Headed out around 6:00pm or so and was about an hour into the ride home on the BQE in Queens. Then the S**T hit the fan. I heard this loud bang and then some draging noise. Great I thought...I think I broke an axle. Did all I could do to pull off on the 48th street off ramp. Got half way off the road and jumped out of the truck to look at what happened. It was worse then I thought! The tongue on the trailer snapped and was only being held on by a small sliver of steel and the tongue wheel was holding it up.

The Bench Seat Hornet almost was a little more rarer and sought after if it would have came loose all the way. I dont even want to think about what would have happened.

What the hell was I going to do now? I'm not in the best part of town. So I pulled it the rest of they way off the road. Called AAA and they said I didnt have boat towing in NY. So they gave me some #'s to call. Called Tony's towing. He said they didnt have the license to pick it up off the BQE but he would do it anyway if I paid 75.00 and duked him and the driver. "Tony....I'll get back to you"

So I called my good friend Nick (Who is also my boss) and asked if he could get the utility body up to Queens and help me out. Not a problem...He was leaving right away with a friend of ours Peter. They only needed to pick up the torches from the storage yard.

The utility body is what we use for repaires out in the job sight. It has welders, a compresser, a crain lift, nuts bolts, plate steel, chain saws,etc, etc. You get the point. You can do some damage with this thing!

So while I was waiting for my rescue I called a good friend of mine in Queens. "Hello Sonny...Yup its me...I'm broke down on the 48th street off ramp...Can you come over here and keep me company for awhile?" Sonny was there 20 min. later.

Then Jamica Towing pulled up and had to charge me 108.00 just the keep the truck and boat there on the side of the road to wait for help. Talk about highway robbery. Didnt really worry about that...Sonny said it would be taken care of on Monday by him...personly. He knows the owner....... In the 15 Years that I have known Sonny I have found out he knows alot of people...Hummmmmm.

Ok...so around 11:30 Nicky and Peter show up. Nick backs the truck up to the side of the boat then all of sudden we hear the chain saw start up....Sonny is backing away from the truck and tree line wondering what the hell is going on! 5 seconds later trees are being cut down on the side of the off ramp...Falling all over the place. Nicky comes around the truck laughing at the look on Sonnys face...saying..."Sorry...had to make some room to work" Sonny said what the hell is he doing...Landscape work on the BQE...he should have brought the dozer up to make the area flater so we could work better.

Soon the torches and welder was running...Lights all over...Looked like a ball field lite up at night. So hear is the finished trailer that got me home....Dosn't look pretty but it worked... http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearhornet06.jpg

Back on the road again with Nicky and Peter following me. Nicky using his driving skills to dodge the dry rotted rollers thet where flying off the trailer in his direction. Needless to say I made it home at 3:30am...But "The Ultimate" was in one piece!

Morning after photos. http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearhornet02.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearhornet03.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearhornet04.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearhornet05.jpg

So, now the project begins. The 14 Baby and the 28 Sportsman is on hold until I get this one done.

almost forgot...The hull # is 19H-23

I will be having a Deck Lifting party soon....any takers?

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
08-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Scott,
AWESOME, I thought Bertram and I hurt your feelings that's why the other post was deleted!
you know we're only kidding right :rolleyes: eek! :D
you must be like a kid in a candy store!

You name the time and place I be there with bells on, if we do the nascar pit stop thingy or the 72 hrs of lemans do we think it can be ready for the fall picnic????????????
Good luck and congrats, this will be one to see I'm sure
Matt

Rootsy
08-11-2002, 09:50 AM
i think it has gone beyond donzitis... wink gonna have to give the pearson/allard party their own PIER at AOTH III at this rate... talk about a caravan eek!

so how rare is rare???? that's one cool boat :)

mattyboy
08-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Scott,
I have just one question, with a bench seat where's Cathy gonna sit? I mean you and your new bestest budds Bertram and Mattyboy that's three!!!
eek! wink :p :D :D

but seriously Cathy must be happy this is a boat she will like, where you feel your in the boat not on the boat.
when you need help let me know I would like to help and see cause I think I'm close to lifting my deck.

matt

anotherScott
08-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Scott,
Let me know when you plan to take that deck off. I have never met you, but being a "joisey" boy also I would be glad to help. I Played middle linebacker, but I think all those muscles are long gone! What a great find!

I think I remember a post of yours that said that you had owned a bench seat criterion. Why did you let that one go?

Scott (anotherScott)

Formula Jr
08-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Scott, great save! I was also interested in this boat awhile but it is a vee drive. Still looking for the elusive Hornet Bench Stern Drive.

Some old Pics:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell007.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell008.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell009.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell010.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell011.jpg

Cuda
08-11-2002, 05:04 PM
I had the same thing happen to me years and years ago. Broke the tongue, and as we barely had scraped up enough money for gas that day, getting it welded was out of the question. I rumaged around the side of the road and found two 2x4's. I took the 2x4's and put them on both sides of the break after jacking the tongue up at the break, then took the anchor line and wrapped it around the tongue and 2x4's making a "splint" for the tongue. Got her home, and my dad was so impressed with my ingenuity, that he went ahead and replaced the tongue for me. :)

Looks like you have quite a project ahead of you, but it will be worth it in the end. You won't have to worry about docking next to another one any time soon. :D

BERTRAM BOY
08-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Owen,
Me thinks you've lost your mind :p :p :p ........ Now let me get this straight, You passed on a bench seat Hornet because it was a V-drive? I know we all have issues, but you're drifting away from us....... come back to the sanity....

Matty,
There is plenty of room for you, me, Scott, and the lovely Cathy......

By the way, if you think the tounge looks bad, you should see the rest of the trailer!!!!!
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

oldLenny
08-11-2002, 06:45 PM
Scott P. Nice find!!! I am sure it will end up being a trophy piece as all your stuff does... :D
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this thing this winter. I have a keen interest in bench's... :rolleyes:

Glad you pulled through your "scenario". It will make it WAY MORE FUN in hindsight. You should be happy this **it happened,... as it makes it all the more interesting when we see your boat at AOTHIII, as well as your own memories in purchasing and restoring it...

Glad all ended up safe and sound...with only a "minor GLITCH"...

Happy restoring... :)

Scott Pearson
08-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Might be getting into this boat sooner then later. If its up to Cathy it would have been being ripped apart today. Seems like she wants to get into this thing more then I do.

I'm sure I will be looking for some help real soon on this one. Lifting deck, flipping hull over, flipping deck over, fitting deck 2-3 times to make sure its right...just some things that come to mind...I'm sure there will be alot more.

Owen...I think Cliff is right, You have lost your mind! This isnt the kind of boat you can be choosey on. I dont get it....

(NJ)Scott

smoothie
08-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Great find Scott,What can I say that's already been said other than I know the feeling of finally owning the boat of your dreams,I see that its a v-drive,but with alittle glass work couldnt you mount a stern drive like GEOO's on the back : eek! I will be looking forward to seeing progress reports,Have fun with your new toy :cool:

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 07:33 PM
good to know sonnys got mafia connections! good luck on the boat, it looks fast just sitting there. that is the only 2 seater classic i have ever seen.

BERTRAM BOY
08-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Oh yeah,
I almost forgot, Deck lifting party? I'll be there.

Feeling a little poorer today...... The Jersey toll booths took all my money eek! eek! eek!

McGary911
08-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet. You get any more Donzis, and we're gonna have to start calling you admiral pearson. Congrats on the aquisition, and good luck with it for sure. As for the deck lifting party, if you post it, they will come. I probably live about 15 minutes down the road, so count me in ......

mattyboy
08-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks Cliff,
for the compliment but, Mattyboy is in mid summer form I get any bigger and I'm gonna get my own zip code,
Scott the weekend calendar is cleared let me know,

Cliff have i ever showed you how to beat the tolls on the parkway :p :D

Formula, are the winters that long in the pacific northwest???
I looked at a 63 corvette the other day but I passed cause the rear window had a crease in it?
what's up with that eek! wink :D :D :D
JR please come back to us!!!!!

Matt

Cuda
08-11-2002, 09:27 PM
Formula Junior may be suffering the effects of smoke inhalation from the wildfires. :rolleyes:

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Cliff have i ever showed you how to beat the tolls on the parkway

how do you do that?? LOL

RH
08-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Congrats on the new baby in the family! I may be a bit predjudicial, but that has to be the best looking boat that Donzi ever popped! Have you thought of your next color choice for this one?
RH
PS... I can't wait for this Hornet to be ready to cut some water!

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 10:25 PM
never knew donzi made inboards a wile back

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Congratulations Scott! Let me know when the deck lifting party is. I'm close enough so that you can call me anytime. And I'm still on vacation 'til the day after labor day! Aside from this weekend (A.C.B.S. Antique Raceboat show in Thousand Islands) and my cousin's wedding on the 1st, I'm more than happy to lend a hand any day. Call me at (718)727-9277

You are the Donzi Collector God!

Eric :p

Eugene Nahemow
08-12-2002, 12:53 AM
Scott,
Incredible story!!!
Good luck with your new project. :D :D

HyperDonzi
08-12-2002, 12:56 AM
about the trailer prob, if i remember the quote right it goes something like this "with out failure, you can't appreciate victory" it was in a movie with nicholas cage....... i cant think of it and want to go punch a wall but will wake everyone up cos it it 2 in to morning........

oh i know!!!!! Gone In 60 Seconds.

Formula Jr
08-12-2002, 06:16 AM
I am so happy that boat found a good home. To be honest with you guys, the boat wasn't far enough away from me to make it interesting. Thats why I had to settle on a GT in upstate New Hampshire. :D

Did you get the original engine block with it?

Woodsy
08-12-2002, 06:25 AM
Scott...

Way to go!! I am glad you finally closed the deal on this thing! I'll bet Cathy is exicted now that this quest is over with! Anyway, you finally have a boat that can handle anything Lake F!*$k sends your way! We will be expecting you at next years Poker Run!! Say hello to Cathy fron Princess & I...

Woodsy :D :D

Digger
08-12-2002, 09:25 AM
congrats Scott what a great find!

Moody Blu'
08-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Scott, I'm about a half our away from you.

when ever you lift the deck let me know, ill be there.
(I need the experience) cuz I need to replace my tank with a 40 gallon tank soon..(420w stroker motor-perhaps a charger)

So call me and let me know when this deck lifting party is goin down wink
973-615-2132

Scott Pearson
08-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Guys,
Thanks for all the offers of help...I know I will need it.

The orig. motor was never around. It came with a worked smallblock chevy and has been set up for a small block chevy. I really dont know what I'm going to run. I can tell you this...It will be a big block Ford or Chevy. Most likely a 502 EFI. No way a small block.

ALL of the orig hardware is still there and in great shape. I'm amazed at how good it is seeing it was right next to the water. It does need alot of wood and coring work done. But, its not a big deal.

The owner said the orig owner was the Governor of Road Island...Is that how you spell it?

Cathy cant wait to get started on this thing. My buddy Mike likes the thing more then I do...He is already comming up with some crazy ideas. Including the color...I dont know weather to keep it orig or not. I really dont care for the black interior. We will have to see....Thats a long way off.

(NJ)Scott

bverd
08-12-2002, 08:12 PM
"A long way off..." what does that mean, 2 weeks? --bverd

Looped
08-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Scott,

Nice find!

Let me know when you need some help I could be up for a road trip and also check out the little 14' that's made out to me in your Will :rolleyes:

Craig :D

BERTRAM BOY
08-12-2002, 08:31 PM
My money is on "The Ultimate" (sorry Brad)

Pearson, repeat after me " just say no to sublime green"......... You guys think I'm kidding.
His freind Mike is trying to talk him into Mopar Sub-lime Green.

bverd
08-12-2002, 08:38 PM
You're killing me... got the motor from the builder today, goes in the boat this week. I hope?? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Cliff, at least I don't have to tie my boat to the dock by laso'ing the outdrive eek! eek! .

Poodle, grrr. I think if I had a certian 4 blade prop, I maybe running in short order.

Pearson, I am telling you... LEMON (baby) Lime (hornet) and Tangerine (barrelback). The fruit bowl will be complete. Or LEMON (Hornet, could be way cool), LIME (baby), and TANGERINE (Barrelback) --bverd

BERTRAM BOY
08-12-2002, 08:56 PM
Brad,
Not having any lifting eyes makes the boat more aerodynamicly effecient...........
It adds at least another 30 MPH.......

Just kidding Buddy, I feel your pain.

You guys gonna make it up for the fall picnic?

Pearson,
You should cut out the transom and mount two older style OMC V-8 outboards on jackplates.
Or better yet, go with the late 70's OMC sea-drives.

mattyboy
08-12-2002, 09:10 PM
okay I've had a few beverages tonite,

Scott, how bout this

all black front and towards the back alternating black and yellow stripes, with yellow interior and black piping

named
RUMBLE BEE

oh it is a hornet,
NEVERMIND
eek! :p wink :D
Scott you leave the powerplant to me and Cliff,
I was thinking about a center console hornet with brass pole holders/rocket launchers, powered by 4
Force 75 hp ob's, with a bimini top fashioned to look like birds nest to hold the inflatable pink flamingo.
Scott only kidding(about the brass pole holders,stainless is so much cleaner :p
Matt
hey tarbender gimme another bucking feer

harbormaster
08-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Hey Scott,

What about painting it the original Blue Color? Since it is so rare don't paint it orange or Purple, etc.

mattyboy
08-12-2002, 09:58 PM
hey harbor,
cool touch on the avatar!!!!

Scott Pearson
08-13-2002, 05:49 AM
You guys are killing me...Looped....I like your idea. Harbor Master...where did you come up with blue?

It looks like the orig color was what you see. Except not all the funky stripe work. Yellow with a black stripe and black interior.

I like the fruit bowl idea. We can name them Fruit of the Loom I, II, III and IIII. I dont think there is going the be a V (5) any time soon .

I just hope I live long enuff to finish these boats.

(NJ)Scott

Dr. Dan
08-13-2002, 04:18 PM
Scott O Boy! :p I am Happy to oblige with a road trip to your casa, might cost some brews and goat food though! :D I like Brads color scheme ideas, would look great all parked/docked next to each other!...Doc

HyperDonzi
08-13-2002, 05:50 PM
a nice big heavy boat and all your planning is a tiny 502 efi. we know for sure, you will be one of the slow ones on the board. wink

EricG
08-15-2002, 09:31 PM
I don't understand it.....why would someone want a boat with just 1 seat wink ? That seems really impractical.... :D

Congrat's Scott!! What a great boat.

First Len gets a boat, and now this....this is the best summer ever! :D

-EG
-Currently sitting in the a hotel room next to the Dallas Ft Worth Airport...why does it rain so much in Texas?

Sagbay32
08-15-2002, 09:37 PM
That's easy Eric:
Uh..... sorry I can only take your Girl for a ride now, but we will be right back for you in a bit :D :D

Scott Pearson
08-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Guys,
You can fit 4 across with ease. It dosent look like you can but you would be surprised.

(NJ)Scott

EricG
08-15-2002, 10:55 PM
4 accross sounds cosey....but I'll happily start dieting now if it will get me a ride someday!!!

I hope everyone realized I was kidding about the practicality comment....I wouldn't want people to think I really thought that! eek!

Once again...that is one cool boat Scott!!

EG

Formula Jr
08-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Sagbay32,

In Eric's case, truer words were never spoken. wink

Stix Magill
08-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Congrats!
Bench seats are great. I have a bench seat in one of my trucks and it really comes in handy when a girly gets "tired" and need to put her head down in my lap. Hmmmm.... I think I'll put a bench seat in my Donzi too!

HELL YEAH!

Moody Blu'
08-16-2002, 12:20 AM
scottits been a week, what day is this deck lifting going on?

I will have my drive soon, and ive been thinkin about putting a 40 gallon tank in the boat for my 420w stroker motor...

when we doin this!
I need the experience......

Scott Pearson
08-16-2002, 05:50 AM
Not sure when the the deck will be lifted. I hope in the next few weeks. I still have alot of hardware to remove and still a ton of pictures to take. The deck has settled alot behind the seat and cockpit area. Seems like a common thing because most Bench Seat Hornets I have seen have done the same thing. There is nothing to support the cockpits underside at the rear. No big deal...Just need to figure out a way to bring it back into shape before I remove the deck.

I will keep everyone up to date as things progress.

(NJ)Scott

Rick
08-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Scott, would help you with the deck party, but my mule won't go that far. Congrats on the Hornet! I have a question for you on sticker attachment. I have purchased NOS Donzi and Emblems for C-21-16 (70 GT). Can I wet the surface with Windex befor I put those babies on, just in case I need to make an adjustment? What are your suggestions?
Thanks in advance Rick

Ralph Savarese
08-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Scott ,
Those pictures that formula jr had were my old Pictures that I posted about a year ago.
I was at one point tring to broker that boat for him to a guy in Sweden. I was concidering it myself at one point but did not have the room with also doing my boat at the same time. How did you find it and convince Rich to sell it cheep? He told me that if he didn't get a decent price he was not going to sell.
Well Good luck
Ralph

Scott Pearson
08-16-2002, 07:46 PM
Rick and Ralph...You both have mail.

(NJ)Scott

GEOO
08-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Scott,
You're the Donzi King!!! WOW,, Great find, Can't wait to see her. Have Fun!!!!!

GD
08-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Interested in selling the 14? Greg 707 -745 -1177

Scott Pearson
08-17-2002, 04:20 AM
Greg,
Thanks for asking, but for now I'm going to hold onto the 14. I plan on redoing that boat after the Hornet is finished. Didn't start it sooner because I was looking for a larger Donzi that I could tow. The 28 wont cut it.

George,
Thanks! Stop by anytime. I know you come down here often. Bring some work clothes! :D

(NJ)Scott

Donzi Di
08-17-2002, 09:53 AM
Scott,
If you decide to sell the 14 Baby, I get first dibs....... If you know what's good for you.

Diana

Scott Pearson
08-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Diana,
You have my word you will be the first contacted. Just as long as Cliff wont ride in it.....

(NJ)Scott

ToonaFish
08-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Somewhere in the hinterlands of Connecticut...

Diana: "Well, Cliff, I've got good news and bad news."

Cliff: "And the good news is?"

Diana: "There will be a baby joining our happy home."

Cliff: "That's wonderful! And the bad news?"

Diana: "It isn't yours. It's Pearson's." eek!

Scott Pearson
08-20-2002, 05:55 AM
Toona,
Thats funny...I'm still laughing. She might have to wait more then 9 months on this baby. Unless Cathy knocks me off first and sells everything.

(NJ)Scott

BERTRAM BOY
08-20-2002, 07:24 AM
Pearson,
don't worry. It won't be Cathy that knocks you off. I know a guy who know's a guy......you get the idea.

Poodle claims that he's taking Diana out for Donzi driving lessons. They're gone for over an hour, and she comes back with a HUGE smile on her face........ you bet your a$$ your in trouble!!!!

MOP
08-20-2002, 08:31 AM
Not to be tooo NOSEY but what did you have to pay for it. I was in that yard last year on a survey and asked about the boat. Guy gave me a what I thought was a really high price at the time, the boat is a beauty that needs a massage. I hope you post progess photos, and the very best of luck with it.

ToonaFish
08-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Ah, Bertram Boy, ya ain't got nothing to worry about if it is Di who's grinning... now, if they were returning from the lesson with a huge smile on the Poodle's muzzle, you'd need to get a gun.

Bunches,

Celene 'formal affair'

Bad-Tat
08-20-2002, 05:29 PM
Toona,
You still have a seat in Bad-Tat!!! Just grab some of Poodles dip on the way by!!!

Scott Pearson
08-20-2002, 07:54 PM
MOP,
I thought you didnt know where any Bench Seat Hornets were when I talked with you awhile back?? Holding out huh....

Anyway......I got a good deal on the boat I felt. I expected to pay more.

(NJ)Scott

Formula Jr
08-20-2002, 08:21 PM
"Expected to pay more,"...........huuuummmmmmmm. Don't play poker any time soon with this crowd. :D

I think the number that got back to me was some where around 7800 in the first rounds.

Scott Pearson
08-20-2002, 09:35 PM
I guess I will keep everyone guessing. Dont want to give to much information up. All I can say is there hasn't been a number posted that has been close.

Funny thing is, when I find something I want I usually get it....or die trying :p .

Didnt really want a 28 Sportsman....but ended up with one...hummmm.

(NJ)Scott