PDA

View Full Version : Stalling Engine

Zinger
07-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello Everyone, I need some advice with my 350 MPI/GEN 2 the engine is stalling more times than nessary while shifting in and out of gear. All the cables along with the shifter were changed , the cables are adjusted by the manual and have no play and move perfectly.On land the engine never stalls ,then but it into the water and you could shift a few times with out any problem ,then the misery starts. This stalling happens in forward and reverse and can't seem to solve it.Has anyone ever came across this problem and could the binding be comimg from the drive .Thanks Jeff

Greg K
07-07-2003, 05:39 PM
The shift interupter may have to be looked at and adjusted in the water. On land there is no load on the drive and motor which causes some tension on the cable to trigger the shift interupter.
Maybe someone else can offer some more advice.

Zinger
07-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Greg, the interupt switch appears to be making contact way to long which i believe is caused by the tension on the shift cable caused by the prop torque in the water. The only thing i could see to be the problem is the spring tension is not strong enough in the interupt switch or the something wrong with the shift mech. in the drive.Any help would be grateful. Jeff

MOP
07-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Another thing to check is the spring on the interupter, that one has driven us crazy two different times on fairly late boats. The springs had for some unknown reason gone weak, no amount of adjusting would fix it.

SkiBeeZ71
07-07-2003, 11:16 PM
A similar problem developed on my 22ZX (same eng/drive setup as Zinger’s) Friday night at LOTO. When shifting out of reverse, the engine would either die outright or it would die after a few seconds. A warning bell also sounded as the engine lost power.

Fortunately, the dealer that I bought this from was gracious enough to let me bring it in first thing Saturday morning. The linkage was putting too much pressure on the interrupter switch, so they readjusted it right there at the docks and the problem with the engine dying after shifting out of reverse was solved.

Kudos to Lake Port for getting me in and out of there in a flash.

Zinger, I hope your repair is as quick and painless as mine was.

tailwind
07-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Accordingly. another overlooked aspect, please check previous posts for this overlooked problem:

1. Have you a Racor fuel separator installed?

2. If so, is it the one with the lower see thru fuel bowl?

3. Drain the contaminated fuel, via the lower fuel bowl, re - tighten and viola your are on you way.

AVickers
07-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I had the same problem...

Turns out that the rear shift cable was binding in the sheath just enough to activate the interrupter. I pulled it out and lubricated it w/ waterproof grease. It's been working fine for two years now.

Trueser
07-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Check out the how to section on this web site.

Sterndrives (http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html)

I have the same problem and will be replacing the drive shift cable soon.

Mike