PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh. Its Broke.

harbormaster
08-10-2002, 06:50 PM
I was planning on going out tomorrow morning and started to get the boat ready when I noticed a nice pool of green lube under my outdrive. It looks to be coming out of the water intake. I am assuming its a seal that has gone. Any guesses on what is wrong and the process to fix it? Here is a photo. Do you think I can get away with pulling the lower half of the outdrive? It is on a 95 18 classic with genII alpha1.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/alphaleak.jpg

Doug L.
08-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Scot
You are going to need to drop the case maybe you will get lucky and it will be the seal under the water pump.
Doug

RT
08-10-2002, 08:24 PM
Scott, that doesn't look good. Is it oil or antifreeze,being it's green, if you have fresh water cooling?
Coming from the intake holes is strange for it to be oil. The only place I can figure oil in the water area would be the driveshaft seal below the water pump. Being the oil goes to the top of the drive,
gravity could make the oil rise up to the pump as the pump is still lower than the top housing assembly.But I would have to say that seal must be really cooked. Check your lower unit oil for water also.I would be surprised if it was the seal
around the driveshaft, where it connects to upper as there is usually a rubber ring around the driveshaft that sits on top of the waterpump housing making oil going down the driveshaft very hard to enter the waterpump housing. hope this helps, Artie.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Scot, as we all know I don't know much mechanical, BUT I did watch 4 OD's go on the 22zx, all 99 Alpha Gen II's.
There is a gasket between the upper and lower (quite thin) and one O ring that often slid out during install... But if she has been fine until now I for one would worry. :confused:
The pros here will know for sure.
Wish you luck and a fix soonest.
Bryan

MOP
08-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Are you fresh water cooled? If so taste that stuff if its sweet its anti freeze and the problem is inside the boat. Oil cooler or heat exchanger, I've seen this happen when either unit gets a leak between the raw and fresh circut. The pressure in the cooling system will push the anti freeze in to the raw water circut, be cause alcohol will seep past anything it will work its way right back out the intake. Take the intake hose off inside the boat, the water should be pristine, any goo in that intake line means something let go and not in the drive. If it oil dis-regard the above but memory bank it, it does happen!! If oil split drive and do the seal under the pump. The GREEN is what gets me looking at anti freeze!

harbormaster
08-11-2002, 04:08 AM
Nope. the engine is raw water cooled. te stuff on the ground is green gear lube.

riverrat
08-11-2002, 07:41 AM
hey bud, I got a good mechanic that will fix it for you. :D :D :D
Happy boat ownership!

AVickers
08-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Bummer! Sorry to hear about the outdrive... Oh, the joys of used-boat ownership. Like the others say, the problem is most likely waterpump-to-gear housing seals -- relatively easy to fix.

BTW: Our dog got into some Ethylene Glycol (A porcupine had chewed through a radiator hose to leave a puddle...). The "cure" is IV ethyl alchohol. Man, what a hangover that puppy had! eek!

harbormaster
08-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Well today I am rounding up all my tools in the garage and organizing them.

Tomorrow evening I am pulling the lower part of my outdrive in order to replace the waterpump gaskets/seals and and waterpump impellor.

A question for the experts out there...
When I go to the parts house, what particular seals, and gaskets do I need to buy? Anything else? What type of lube do you use? Anything else I need to do while I am in there?

AVickers
08-11-2002, 05:59 PM
They sell a WP Overhaul kit that includes impeller, seals and O-rings.

I get my stuff at Munson Marine in South Houston, just off I-45 and Pasadena Blvd -- across from SH Middle School. He seems to have the best prices - but he's closed Monday.

I use Red Line Synthetic in the foot. It's best to get a pump to refill the unit from the bottom plug.

Jamesbon
08-11-2002, 06:34 PM
I like to go to mercruiserparts.com or mercurymarine.com with the serial number of my Merc. outboard and pull an online schematic of the of the parts I need. Then, you can call in the Merc. p/n's and check stock before you drive there. It also helps in familiarizing yourself with the parts and dis-assembly/assembly sequence before you even crack your unit....

Just my $.02!

Donzi Blackhawk
08-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Scott,
Plain and simple, you lost the driveshaft seal located under the water pump. Just be sure that who ever works on it does a vacuum AND pressure test to the complete lower unit. I like to use genuine mercruiser parts. Count your blessings with the oil on the driveway. I have repaired many gearcases where the oil leaked out then the gearsets wanted out also. Hello Allstate?

BigGrizzly
08-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Scott yse either AMsoil ot Merc HP only gear lube

Randy

Jake
08-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Harbormaster I love the avatar with the flames!

Donzified
08-14-2002, 07:50 PM
M.O.P how often do you take a taste of the sweet anti-freeze?

James Adcock
08-14-2002, 08:13 PM
AVickers,The puppy is lucky ALL it had was a "hangover"! Most animals usually enjoy too much of a bad thing!