PDA

View Full Version : Deck Removal ...How fragile are they ?

Morgan's Cloud
07-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Hey again everyone from out in the Atlantic !

Well,with another 20 minutes of work, the deck of the St Tropez will be ready to lift off.All thats left to do is take off the lifting rings and make two small slices in the deck/liner joint at the transom.The joint is completely unfastened and unsealed.A side note.. I'm glad as #%$t that when I sealed the joint 16 years ago I only used a good grade of silicon rubber and not polysulfide or (heaven forbid) 5200 .The silicon was still pliable and the bond was still 100% intact.

As this is something that seems to happen on this board often, the question is...Do I have to watch out for any unpleasant surprises ?
What I plan to do is remove it and flip it upside down to do cleanup work on underneath and glass up unused fishrod holders ..Will this thing shatter unexpectedly if I make one wrong move ?

All of this is just practice for when I remove the floor/innerliner next eek!

Hmmm maybe Lenny would like to come on a working holiday... :D

Thanks for your input guys..

Regards Steve

oldLenny
07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Hmm, the working holiday sure sounds like fun...only I am on holidays right now for the next 5 weeks and am up to my %$^ in other work to do and boat crap..Thanks for the offer, more advance notice next time and it sure sounds like fun...besides, it is 85 here now and sunny. Call me again in December when it is 40. :D

Morgan's Cloud
07-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Lenny.. Thanks for response.Unfortunately, it too is now 87F here and getting hotter,not to mention humidity of +80% daily.This is going to pretty much be an 'outside' project so you know how much I look forward to it :rolleyes: I wish I could have started it in the winter while cooler but had the winter maintenance to do on the other toy.
NOW... all you other deck removal experts.. where are you ? I know plenty of gas tank replacement jobs have gone on around here....rest assured I already know how I am going to re-install mine and it's going to be TOP SECRET !No argument starting from me biggrin. ...
Anyways...any more feedback on this ? I can tell you for sure that when the deck comes off it WONT be on a lovely rack hoisted above the boat in a nice loft somewhere..it will be handled a good bit ! What do you think ?
S