PDA

View Full Version : Bad boat news at the Tuvell ranch today

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Left Coinjock NC this morning, ran south, stopped for a smoke and pee brake, back on plane, ran for about 10 minutes and Clackity clackity :confused:

DMAN2 ran me back to Va, got truck, drove to NC, retrieved boat, mechanic met us at the house. Not a coupler, shaft and U' joint was fine, he is guessing the upper, and just drove away with the drive.

So, NO 1000 Islands for us.
Bummed out, but thankful for the rest of the great things in my life.

Have fun all.
Bryan

KMLFAMILY
07-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Bryan,
I am in the same situation.Ran up some hrs. this wk.end having a great time.Then without warning coming of plane,bang! Engine shuts off,won"t turn over to restart.It want"s to pulling strg.wheel when starter engages.Wait 45 min. for Towboat US (Not too bad).Then tow for 1.5 hrs in 90+ heat.Removed drive at home,blown upper gear.One broken tooth wedged between teeth.
Looks like vacation for me will be repairing it and spending it locally.
I was so looking forward to 1000 isles.
Glad i had the right stuff onboard.
Cell phone to call for tow. BoatUS unlimited towing policy.Handheld GPS to give exact location.Handheld VHF to give further direction and receive instruction along the way.My new name (from tow boat operator) :p Capt. Ken.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-06-2003, 08:01 PM
KML, I hear ya, it was hot as hell here too, we suspect the upper, it is amazing She ran for me for 2 hours at 1500 RPM making about 7.5 mph.
I had just had my 100 drive service too and all was well with the alignment etc. :rolleyes:

Tow boat is great, we have the coverage also, but we were just to far away, so we decided to run her and hope for the best.

Our 1000 Islands fun won't happen which is a true bummer, instead we booked a beach front place in NC to spend a few days with the kids, we get my angels back from Grandma tomorrow, thank goodness, it is the only reason I am smiling right now! :)
Bryan

(Vodka does not ease the broke boat pain!)

roadtrip se
07-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Took our real estate agent who sold our lake house in four days, out for a ride that she asked for as a reward...

Great ride, wind out of the south, nice chop!
Cruised low 70's in 2-3's. Motor over to a mooring bouy to chill out and have a little lunch.
All kinds of racket coming from the back end.
NOT GOOD!

Start to limp back to the marina. BAM. No forward at all on plane. Had to thumb a ride to get our trailer and pull the boat on the trailer with a lot of help. Boat goes in reverse, forward is gone.

Too late to fix it for 1000 Islands, but you know what? We are going any way! Drop the boat in Cinci, so we get her in striking distance of the Midwest Donzi Club and her new home.

So load it up and show up. Rides will be available I'm sure and if you don't want to mooch, there are plenty of things for the familty to do during the day, and you can party at night with everyone.

Call me!

Todd
Broken but not out....

BUIZILLA
07-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Bryan, your welcome to use my spare Bravo if ya need it for next weekend. You pay the freight and throw it in Poodle's truck for the ride back...

J

Shanghied Again
07-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Bryan, You are welcome to ride with us if you still want to come up.

olredalert
07-07-2003, 10:48 AM
-------The El Pescador is a big boat.Lots of seating.Lots of room.Hope that some of you make the decision to run on up.Theres room in the "El"...............Bill S

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys for all the great offers, there is just so much involved, primary reason for us coming North was a family vacation, best spent with Donzi folks boating. Nancy was crushed, last night sucked for us but life goes on...

We just couldn't justify it as fun for the kids without our boat (my kids are high maitenance! LOL), there are happy with the alternative, booked 3 days in Corlla on the beach.
Plus it would suck to blow one of you guy's drives!

We just arrived in Ohio moments ago.
ROADTRIP, I will call this evening.
FRANK, thanks man.

MPoodle, I got Bravo removal 101 already, about 15 minutes due to the hydralic steering assembly.
I am about to post some new questions, be sure and give me your 2 cents.

Everyone be safe and have fun.
Bryan

Rootsy
07-07-2003, 06:55 PM
DAMMIT i feel FRIGGIN JINXED! i broke a BLEEPING valve spring tonight... thank god they are triples (double w/ damper) and nothing grenaded, just a slight miss above idle :( ... I won't have a new SET of springs until wednesday now and i really don't feel like replacing springs in a parking lot in ny... guess that would make an interesting tech time though... so unless i become marathon spring man in the near future i guess my plans are really iffy :( :mad: :(

oh well.. Sh*t happens i reckon...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Damn, Jamie...
Not a great Donzi week.

The pisser for us was we behaved all weekend, my top GPS speed for the North Carolina HRPA event was 52 on GPS. I guess if I would have ran her like normal we would have been fine.

Some things just are not meant to be!
Bryan

BUIZILLA
07-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Jamie, you, me, air compressor, my NASCAR tool, and 2 hours tops, and ALL the springs can be changed, and the valves adjusted. I can do it INSIDE my car trailer, by myself, in that amount of time.

Only problem is.... I won't be there.

J

roadtrip se
07-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Okay here we go...

Anybody got a two inch Imco shortie with an XR gear set and shaft. I'll install the damm thing in the parking lot...

Ain't going to happen, but looking forward to a great weekend anyway...

Todd
"Sitting on a couple of cases of Fat Tire, ready to bribe for rides..."

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-08-2003, 09:22 AM
MPOODLE, got your phone message, thanks.

We are waiting to hear from mechanic today (just paged him), lots of options since Nancy and I have been brainstorming looking for options the last 2 days.

We must have a plan in order to cancel Corolla by tomorrow so it does not look promising, but maybe I will get a call with good news. I have authorized overnight freight or any possible pocket expence to be fixed by Thursday eve.
But I am not banking on it...

ROADTRIP, I sent you a PM. I forgot my palm and do not have your phone numbers.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Verdict is in;
Upper gears missing several pieces.
New upper in stock locally, back in action soon!
Bryan

Extreme Measures
07-08-2003, 10:33 PM
That is great news Bryan
so that means the 1000 Islands are still a go I hope.My kids were looking forward to meeting your kids.They will have a good time.

Your Friends In Boating

Extreme Measure eek! eek!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-08-2003, 10:46 PM
1000 islands is probably still not a go, but who knows, we WERE leaving for home Thursday, now we are leaving in the morning (Wednesday), Nancy spent the evening packing.

I told the mechanic I would stroke the check, while the wheel turns for payment..

I certainly have done crazier things! :rolleyes:
I have to admit, our alternative vaction will be ALMOST as fun as NY.
My number #1 goal in life is keeping Nancy happy! :)
Worst case, we can boat after we return from NC.....
Bryan