PDA

View Full Version : Quick & Quiet Exhaust

Budman
09-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Does anyone have a guess of how much weight the Quick & Quiet exhaust option would add to a 22 Classic?

Barry Phillips
09-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Baffles mufflers

I'm not sure, but not a enough to be concerned about. Quick and Quiet 2 has no cutouts and baffles in the tips. Quick and Quiet Plus has the cutouts. If you are ordering a new boat I would not waste my money on the cutouts because they are legal, and in my opinion suppress the exhaust note to much. If you want the big block sound at idle but the silent capability for law enforcement, I suggest Caption's Call which runs open tips with the exhaust cutouts. Check out www.corsa.com, (http://www.corsa.com,) they provide a comprehensive list of states and fines, plus what system they deem legal.

SO-SLO

Budman
09-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Barry: thanks for the reply and the advice. I will check out the one you recommended. Those "Rat" motors can be a tad loud at times, but that is what makes them fun.

Eugene Nahemow
09-22-2003, 11:54 AM
The correct website is:
www.corsaperf.com (http://www.corsaperf.com)

Budman
09-22-2003, 12:58 PM
That Website gives someone alot of options regarding exhaust systems. Seems like running the exhaust thru the prop would really restrict the motor too much.

Lil Grizz
09-22-2003, 01:09 PM
I have a captains call sitting in my garage right now. It has the electric diverters and Y-pipe. I would take a guess and say the entire assembly weighs no more than 20 pounds. Possibly even less than that.

Budman
09-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Lil Grizz: Is that system fairly easy to hook up? I may upgrade to an 18 Classic with 350CI 300hp, and may be ok without it.

Lil Grizz
09-22-2003, 07:14 PM
its very easy except that you have to pull the engine to install the Y-pipe. The whole thing is only 4 nuts and 8 hose clamps for the exaust. Then you just have to wire a switch to make the diverters work. Pulling the engine is the hard part. My local shop said it would only take an hour to do the job but would charge for an engine R&R. Sometime this winter I plan on borrowing dads engine lift and doing it all myself then taking it over to the shop to make sure the drive is alligned properly.

Kikwear
09-23-2003, 01:45 AM
Pull the motor? I installed my Corsa on my 350 16' with minimal difficulty and pulling the engine wasn't even a thought.

Lil Grizz
09-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Thats surprising that pulling the motor wasnt an issue for you. In my situation the Y-pipe will not fit to the transom unless the engine gets moved out of the way. I can just about unbolt the block off plate down there but getting the pipe down there isnt going to work. I've talked to several shops and some people on OSO about it and they all tell me that pulling the engine is a must.

Did you already have through hub exaust on your boat? If you didnt how did you snake that y-pipe under the engine?

Barry Phillips
09-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Budman, my Q&Q Plus was dealer installed on my 496mag equipped 22, so I had a choice between the various Corsa systems, I regret spending the extra grand on the switch able, I replaced the dealer installed toggle switch with the military spec. toggle style used on the 22 SE with a nice bezel, it looks cool on the dash but I never use it. Next season when I have some spare bread I'm going to ask Corsa to make me a set of custom tips to give the sound a little more presence. I had a 350 18 with Silent Choice and I think it sounded a lot better, a nice rumble but not to loud. The dealer did not have to pull the motor on the 22, so check that out fully. Again unless your noise laws are crazy, save yourself the $1000 bucks or look into another style tip. Sorry about the web site error.

SO-SLO

Budman
09-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Barry: is that 496 basically a 454 with a different bore and stroke?

Barry Phillips
09-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Budman, as I understand it the 496 is a completely new motor with semi closed cooling and a completely new MPI system. I am not sure how Mercruiser achieves the extra 50 hp in the 496 HO. I’m sure the answer is in the computer. The only difference stated by Mercury is that the HO uses a stainless cam but I'm not sure about the profile. The HO spins at a higher rpm so that in itself could produce the extra 50 hp. Although the 496mag and the 496 HO replaced the 454 and 502 in the lineup they are both 8.1 liter as opposed to 7.4 and 8.2 liter for the 454 and 502. Almost a full liter more displacement should give the 496mag a torque advantage over the 454 even though at 375hp it's rated at 10 less hp. With the season winding down and the lake a lot quitter I can really fly the 22 and it well easily peg 70 to 71 mph on the speedo at 5000 rpm with my wife and about 50 gallons on board. Even with a full crew of 3 passengers I have seen 68 on the speedo.

SO-SLO

Budman
09-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Sure beats my 60mph out of my 305 EFI 220hp. I am getting a complex and need to upgrade to a faster Donzi so I can be ready for next spring.