PDA

View Full Version : Budmann needs help... fast!!!

Budmann
07-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Well, I really shouldn.t have done it, but I did. A guy I used to work with at Searay ,told me he had a friend that had a set of free flow heads, that were polished and ported. Told me that with those heads, and a big cam, and a carb, my 22 would fly. So guess what... I told him to have at it. 6000 dollars later, my boat is no faster, and has had head problems ever since. Things like blown head gasket due to warp in head. Had it mlled, then water plugs rotted out. Oh lets not forget the oil leak I've taken back to him five times. I don't know what to do. Everyone I talk to about this tells me that all these components need to be matched.
I'm going to get all the specs on everything hed put in, and post in this thread. Really could use some SBC help.
My girl just ain't right.

BUIZILLA
07-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Welp, I guess MORE & BIGGER isn't always better...

If you care to email me all the info directly, I'll take a stab at this one too. I like tuning challenges.

BIG head flow numbers don't impress me,,, quality and velocity of flow does, especially from .200-.400 lift

J

Moody Blu'
07-06-2003, 11:55 AM
yeah velocity is the most important thing, right?

When i port two stroke motors I dont go for the largest porting. For example one of my buds motors has HUGE transfers and looks like its a top end monster. well, my port work which is opened up but not overly big beats the huge ported transfer motor.

case in point, some motors can only flow so much. after that its down hill.

Rootsy
07-06-2003, 05:29 PM
yep, i agree with BUZ... and if he can't help ya then no one here probably can... big volumes don't help jack until you are twisting to the moon where you can actually build enough velocity in the ports to get some scavenging and pressure waves in the intake... which most of us do not do... And with marine camshafts you can only stuff so much duration at em until it becomes too tempermental at idle to be fun to dock or it starts sucking water back into the cylinders at idle... therefore you are limited in the power numbers you are gonna achieve with a sbc... a well thought out and put together 350 or 383 can touch the 425 @ 5000 - 5500 range with the right combo and not break the bank but you will have to sacrafice some torque in the low rpm range