PDA

View Full Version : I forgot how fun it is to go fast!

2biguns
08-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Last Saturday as we were putting the boat on the lift and wiping everything down, a friend from the lake came by the dock and offered Amy and me a ride in his HTM SS-24 (770 hp engine). (SIDE NOTE: After screwing up an engine last fall (rod through oil pan) my mechanic mounted what's left of my starboard #8 cylinder on a chain and forces me to wear it around my neck as a reminder of what high rpms will do to an unmodified BBC so our boat is now a 60 mph MAX cruiser). I jumped at the invite and grabbed my life jacket. To my (very pleasant) surprise, Amy was there next to me holding onto her vest and asking where to sit (I'm in love again! :) )

The water was still EXTREMELY rough so we were limited in what we could do--5200 or so @ 84 mph (digital GPS). I think the boat still had a good 800 to 1000 rpm and another 15 mph or so left in it. eek! eek! eek!

Amy was a champ and never whimpered a note while riding in the back seat as long as I held onto her ankle with one hand and the grab handle up front with the other. We then swapped and I sat in the back--what a rush!

I'll always love Donzis and never count on owning anything else but holy cow, Batman, that boat is spectacular. 60 mph is like idling and the boat is on rails at 75 plus.

Being a firm believer in the scientific method, we have no choice but to work on getting our ride in Magic Float's ZR so we can conduct a proper comparison :D

Magic Float
08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
The ZR will be at the Lake Lanier Poker Run this weekend and the Emerald Coast Poker Run the next weekend then back to Smith Lake. We can do the scientific comparison then.

Tomahawk
08-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey Magic Float - there should be 3 or 4 Lanier Donzis hanging out for a while Sat AM in front of the Dam. We'll look for ya. I'll be at the Emerald Coast Poker Run next weekend too as one of the sponsors, along with our friends from Donzi. Then it's Eufaula IV time!

HyperDonzi
08-10-2002, 06:22 PM
wow. did you know the owner of htm earlier this year was killed doing over 120? testing a new hull design. and what would be wrong with crusing around at 80 or so mph?

Magic Float
08-10-2002, 06:24 PM
Tom, Mark Bonified from Donzi will be throttling for me in the ZR. Who else from Donzi is coming?