PDA

View Full Version : Best Life Vest?

Philip47
08-08-2002, 03:57 PM
whats the best life vest to by and where? want something compact not bulky, in case my ass ever gets slung out a boat @ 70mph Big waves down here

Cuda
08-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Most hi performance boaters will tell you Lifeline jackets are the best, but at $400+, they are probably overkill. They not only support you in the water, they protect you from punctures also. The funny thing about them is they are not coast guard approved, so even if you wear them, you must have the beautiful orange shoeboxes on board to comply with the laws. The only other one's that I have seen that were speed rated were I believe called Mustangs. I saw them at boater's world for around $80. They were rated to 100 mph. When I asked the guy at boater's world if they had any that were speed rated, he looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language! :D . We keep the BOSB's (beautiful orange shoe boxes) on board, but when we need to wear a vest, we wear the one's I have for our (gasp) jetskis. :p

oldLenny
08-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Philip47. Do a search on life lackets here and you will find all sorts of info. I bought the Mustang Air Force this year and really like it. I even wear it... About $160 US with a spare can.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-08-2002, 08:22 PM
PHILIP
There are some great posts on this site, this topic has been covered several times, but to refresh it. The Lifeline Poker Run Jackets are good to 80 MPH, less bulky, leg straps and neck piece are standard. Mine were pricey because the DONZI Z logo was pricey, but still both were less than $800. They are comfy and classy, I feel safe in them.
When ordering they take 4 or 5 measurements, ie even though I am 215 pounds, 6'5" I am a Medium cut 2"s longer, so they are custom fit.
Great time to get the wifes top off and lay a cold measuring tape on them!! eek!
If you skip the logo they are about $250 each, 3 weeks delivery.
As far as the coast guard deal, if it wasn't dark out I would photo my Coast Guard safety inspection sticker on the fairing for this year, Nancy and I was aboard, they were the two jackets we produced, guy said "they come no better than those!"

And lastly, since we ALWAYS wear them on plane in the bay and ocean, we are normally NEVER messed with by the fuzz.....
I recommend them.
Bryan

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvell000123.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Let me just add one comment.
We wear them because if we crash, we will be hurt, floating in the rough or worse yet, the ocean, not around 20 other boaters who will help.
The post on OSO about the buddy in a coma is a great reminder that ANYTHING in a boat can happen, and yes they had their jackets on, no booze either! Dangerous hobby even at 60/65 MPH.
My kids wear Mustang Type II's.

We just lost 2 boaters, 4 in the water, at night, guess what 2 made it?
Be safe and best of luck on getting some good jackets.
Bryan

HyperDonzi
08-11-2002, 01:07 AM
i have a jet pilot wakeboarding vest, its comfy, not cg approved but it floats. no speed rating. probably not what your looking for but just look for them in overtons and see if it is what you had in mind