PDA

View Full Version : Best Way Too Flip Boat?

GEOO
09-17-2003, 02:20 PM
No, not by drive too fast... eek!

I need to work on the bottom of the hull and Paint it.
What are some ways to flip the hull? I'm not taking the deck off.

I'm taking the interior, gas tank and engine out.

I was thinking of building two bulkheads on the top of the deck and on the bottom. Then rolling the boat on these curved bulkhead type of cradle. Any Thoughts??

Ranman
09-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Skewer it and hook it to a rotisserie. Oh wait, that's for shish kebobs :D

Remove the Arneson and bolt the stern to a giant engine stand??? :D

Great big suction cups???

GEOO, honestly the only thing I can really think of is to suspend her from the lifting rings and work her from the bottom. I realize flipping her would make life much easier. Good luck though.

mattyboy
09-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Geoo,
we fabricated a plate for the 20 cig that bolts up to the volvo cut out and has an eye that spins connected 2 ropes front and back ( front was on the bow eye) used a come along got it up off the trailer moved the trailer away rolled her you need many hands to stop it from spinning, got her flipped and moved the trailer back the deck was not finished and did get scuffed up a little, don't know if you want that to happen.

Matty

Forrest
09-17-2003, 04:22 PM
I know it can be done in the slings of a Travel-Lift, but who has a Travel-Lift at their house? :D

Barry Phillips
09-17-2003, 05:51 PM
George I refinished the bottom of one of my father's boats many years ago. I merely unloaded the boat off the trailer onto rollers. Once set in place, I was able to tilt it up on it's gunnel and work on one side at a time, but the boat was an outboard and I could take the motor off. Leaning her on her side gave me good access for sanding and paint.

SO-SLO

Shanghied Again
09-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Geo, Build a frame around the boat similar to a garage frame You need 2 Solid frames. support them together. Then get 2 come alongs attach to one side of your boat Jack it up as soon as the boat is on its side roll it over and jack the come alongs down. I rolled my 20ft Drag boat over doing that process twice when ripped holes in the bottom twice.

Walt. H.
09-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Geo,
Like you said build a frame and pad those areas well
Or the old fashion way, being that you are removing all the heavy stuff, Just lay her down on top of empty car tires and roll her over onto plenty more tires layed out evenly. Place a tarp over the tires to prevent black marking the hull and deck. O" Yeah make sure a few swing around to the other side to control and place her down easy, with someone eye-balling that the tires are supporting what you want.

8- strong friends and a p/u truck of old tires.

Morgan's Cloud
09-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Now here's something that I've actually done .. twice !

Once to flip the Magnum upright and also to flip over AND right the St Tropez .Both boats were gutted and had yet to be painted so slight damage did'nt matter.. but did'nt even get any !

Called a well known crane operator with experience in this field.He uses straps on the crane..like on a travelift.Chokes them at the right place and lifts the boat up.It starts to tilt in mid air.Then rests it down on the gunwhale and re-adjusts the straps and boat rolls gently upside down on the grass ready to reposition on blocks.As nutty as this sounds,having done this 3 times now I actually find it LESS stressful than trailering... :D

Believe it or not with both the Magnum and the Donzi when the FULL weight of the boat was on the gunwhale going through the lifting straps there was absolutely NO deflection in the hull/deck joint. WOW .

rockindaboat
09-22-2003, 11:12 AM
GEOO,try keeney rigging out of glastonbury ph#(860)633-3563.good bunch of guys.they could roll it with a couple of high lift fork lifts and some long strapes right at your house.and could put it wheare you want it,

GEOO
09-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all your idea's. I'm working on taking everything apart. Then I'll make a craddle for the deck to rest on while upside down. If the craddle looks like I can roll the boat then I'll try.

Jamesbon
09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
...assuming "everything critical" is out, it's easy, so long as you have plenty of padding and friends/neighbors. (My deck was off, so I had reinforcements attached from port to starboard gunnel of the hull) I simply laid a bunch of moving blankets in the yard, then rolled the boat (which was on the grass) over onto the blankets, at which point a second crew caught the boat as the "CG" changed, then they slowly brought her down so she rested on the yard/blankets.

I didn't opt for a cradle, we just jacked her up / upside down and slid the trailer underneath. Used the same method to "right her."

Hope this helps!