PDA

View Full Version : Question????

TMANN
07-03-2003, 07:27 PM
I just figured someone on the board that’s allot smarter than I am might have an Idea whats going on.

Every time I turn the key to start my boat all that happens is one click in the engine compartment and it won’t start. I pulled all the battery and ground cables and replaced them - Every one of them - Figured it was time because they looked corroded. That did not work. Then I replaced my starter because I figured it was the solenoid. That did not work. But now about every 10 times it will start.

What could I be missing?

Any help would be really appreciated. I am stumped.
Thanks in advance

TMANN
:rolleyes:

fasttrucker
07-03-2003, 07:33 PM
One time I was out fishing off pompano beach,fl.The boat wouldnt start.Turned out to be the ignition switch/key switch.I dont know how old your boat is?but that old century i used to have in the fla salt water was beat.

TMANN
07-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks FastTrucker. I will take a look at it. Now that I have replaced the Starter it will probably be the switch -knowing my luck.

Thanks
TMANN

:)

Cuda
07-03-2003, 08:05 PM
I'd guess the ignition switch also, but don't listen to me, I've set my boat on fire three times while trying to fix a starter problem. I just now gave up. No poker run for me this weekend.

Tomahawk
07-03-2003, 09:02 PM
TMann - the battery cables are always something to ckeck for tightness and cleanliness. Before you replace the ignition switch, check all the connections on the backside. Those wires can sometimes flop around and become loose enough to shut things down. Hit a wave, motor hesitates or SPO (shuts plum off) - it's the connections on the back of the ignition switch. Worth checking anyway.

mphatc
07-06-2003, 05:17 PM
TMANN,

Your boat has a neutral safety switch as part of your gear shift control . . these occasionally get funky . .

test it when the boat doesn't start by wiggling your gearshift back and forth . . if it starts with a certain wiggle liklely that's the problem.

Mario L.

TMANN
07-07-2003, 05:24 PM
Got it. Thanks Everyone.

It was the secondary Starter Solenoid. Replaced it and we are back in business.
Had a great 4th... after it was fixed.

TMANN
:)