PDA

View Full Version : Arneson Rocker Plates,would they help?

fasttrucker
07-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Discusing my little issue with a donzi net member over the phone last night.He mentioned that Arneson Industries makes Rocker Plates.Its seems they claim by touching a button you can add Rocker or Hook.Different models to fit any boat.Approved for all APBA + SB1 Class Racing.Iam thinking that if I add rocker would that compensate for the hook in my hull? :confused:

GEOO
07-03-2003, 04:44 PM
I think they will help. If you wait two weeks I'll be able to tell you. I have the Rocker Pumps, wiring, switches etc all mounted, just waiting for the finished plates to mount them.

Greg Maier
07-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Bill,

Here is an old thread that talks about the rocker plates:

Rocker Plate Thread (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000937#000000)

Jamesbon
07-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I would wait for GEOO's results.

I removed the hook from my hull, not hard at all. Of course it was upside down...

One can fill the "concaveness" with glass - resin, or grind the hook down. Just make sure your hull is thick enough to withstand the removal of the additional material.

We filled the hook in my hull (which was MINIMAL at best), then used machinist's dye, straight edges and air files to make a truely flat running surface.

Hope this helps!

fasttrucker
07-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Looks like it would be cheaper to remove the hook at the fiberglass shop.Who said performance boating is cheap! :D Thanks greg for posting that thread.Iam done/out of $$$$ for this year,so ive got lots of time to plan for next years upgrades.

Greg K
07-04-2003, 07:19 AM
Would you want these on a stepped hull though ? wink :D

boldts
07-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Saw this rocker plate being used on a 30 + foot Phantom at the Cincy offshore races. At the time, I thought it was just a trim tab, but when I spoke to the team's throttle man and asked about the location of the tab, he explained how it worked and that it was not actually a trim tab like you see on most boats.

He said the piston bends the tab to create hook or roocker in the hull. The over interesting part was it's location. This roocker tab was mounted between the twin outdrives, not out on the corners where tabs are usually mounted. He was also kind of impressed that I even asked the question about the set-up. I've got a picture, but need to develope the film.

If you get a chance, check out the Fury #88 boat at a race. It's got quite a cut-out up to the actual V placing the drives back like extension boxes. Gentleman said that the rooker tab in this location is causing some airation to the props, but they had little time in testing and were still working on the set-up.

blackhawk
07-07-2003, 10:29 AM
I finally bought a set I just haven't had a chance to put them on yet. I should have them on within a couple of weeks and I will definitely post my results.

ZF-Mac
07-07-2003, 03:28 PM
I have a used set, No Pumps or lines. Just the plates. I will look for the pictures....

BillG
07-07-2003, 06:11 PM
I don't see how rocker plates can help a hook in the bottom. All a plate can do is add more hook. If the plate is up then there is no reason to have one except to lengthen the hull a little.
Bill G

1996Z15
07-07-2003, 07:43 PM
BlackHawk didn't I see your boat for sale on the BoatTrader?

blackhawk
07-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I put it up for sale just to see what kind of responses I would get. I had a serious buyer but had the boat out a few times since I placed the ad and started getting cold feet about selling her. I will probably keep her until I can afford to buy brand new or almost new!