PDA

View Full Version : Ladders

MLerner
08-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi All, what's the best way to get in a Classic 18 from the water? I bought a ladder with rounded, fold-out plastic arms that are supposed to hook over the side. It's completely useless. Any ideas? Thanks.

clayman
08-07-2002, 10:41 AM
I was wondering the same thing? Since this isn't a ski boat, we generally rip around the lake, then float around and sun and swim. but reboarding is really difficult. I have been climbing up the drive, then around the side. not good, and slippery. there is no room for a fold up ladder on the transom, so how about a rope ladder over the cockpit side?

this is it
08-07-2002, 10:50 AM
I have a 16 Classic and found that a rope ladder works fine. You hook it onto the rear cleat. It's not stable but will help assist you in getting into the boat.

Rodger
08-07-2002, 11:12 AM
On my 1978 F22 (first year of the 22' Classic) Donzi actually intended for a person to climb up the outdrive for entry into the boat. From the factory, they installed handles on the transom, just above the drive,and on the deck behind the engine cover hinges in order to aid the person when making this climb. As goofy as it sounds, it does work quite well.

CrackerJack
08-07-2002, 02:31 PM
I have a small folding step on the back that works for most people.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/keefe96.jpg

Dr. Dan
08-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Jack, That's pretty slick...we bought one of those rope ladders with the solid steps, it looks good in "Principle Function" however, my fat A*! and others of a much smaller variety, had limited success with it's use, the unit wants to walk under the hull and not stay under the climber, which is a key functional element in the ladder equation! :D We have a 22 Classic with a King Cobra Drive, and to be honest, if it's trimmed up just so... wink it works great, when you grab the lifting ring and just steady as she goes...it works fine! I keep a towel on the rear hatch to protect from gouging Gremlins! So far so Good? :cool: ...Doc