PDA

View Full Version : Donzis at the Lake of the Ozarks

BS
08-07-2002, 08:06 AM
I am looking for Donzi owners at the Lake of the Ozarks. I know there is a rather large Donzi Dealer here and I occasionally see a Donzi on the lake, so I know they exist. I think it would be fun to get together for a run and or a drink.

Thanks
Bill

Donzigo
08-07-2002, 08:41 AM
How deep is that lake? Man-made? Any pictures? I've always thought it was one of the most beautiful spots in the US.

BS
08-07-2002, 08:53 AM
The lake is man made, I believe in the 20's. It has about 1300 miles of shoreline and used to be the largest man made lake in the world. I believe it has areas that are 150 deep, but I will need to check to be sure.

I will take pictures and post if there is interest.

Thanks
Bill

Rodger
08-07-2002, 09:09 AM
I was on Lake of the Ozarks in 22 years ago with my 16' Donzi. I think that was before there was a Donzi dealer on that lake. The people there had no idea of what they were looking at when they saw my boat. A marina I stopped by had never heard of that brand boat and asked if it was home-made. The lake was very nice though, but very easy to get lost with all the little bays. I'd like to get back down there with my 22' some day, but it won't be very soon.

Sean
08-07-2002, 11:51 AM
I'll be heading to the Ozarks over Labor Day weekend. I have purchased a couple of boats from Lake Port Marina. Our last trade-in is sitting at their roadside store. It is a 33ZX with purple Inmotion graphics and twin 502's. Traded for a poker run painted 33ZX with 500EFI's end of last year. I get down to the lake 2 to 3 times a year. A guy I know in Des Moines took his clasic down to the Ozarks a few weeks ago. Said it was rough but had a great time. The number of Donzi's on the lake is growing. Sit in party cove and you'll see quite a few pass by. Nice sight to see. :cool:

Here in Des Moines we have a Blackhawk, a 275, 22Z, 28ZX, and 33ZX. I have also seen and talked to the owner of an 18 foot clasic. I've told them all about the sight. Not sure who if any have signed up. Three years ago, we were the only Donzi on the lake.

I believe a 28ZX will be accompanying us on our journey to the Lake. Anyone else be out?

BS
08-07-2002, 02:53 PM
We are at the lake just about every weekend, and am sure we will be there Labor Day weekend.

If you would like to get together give me a call. Our lake number is 573-372-6843, and my cell is 913-219-0555. The cell doesn't work at the lake most of the time.

Bill

33 Daytona
08-08-2002, 05:37 AM
Sean,
I was down in the Ozarks the week after the 4th and Looked at your old 33zx. Very nice. We may be down there to run in the shoot out.

Here in omaha there is getting to be quite a few Donzis, there are 38zx, (2) 28zx (4) 26zx I have seen a 22? classic, and the closest Donzi dealer is a 7hr drive away.

Sean
08-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Bill, I'll write your numbers down. My cell # is (515) 208-4848 and (515) 201-5643 - I will probably be carrying the first number. I'll be traveling with my wife, boating partner and his wife. Should be a great time.

Kelly, Thanks. The paint scheme on our old 33ZX wasn't quite what we had expected. Give us a call if you are around on Labor Day or if you ever head to Saylorville Lake in Des Moines. It's a small lake but hopping on the weekends. :D

ClassicRazorback
08-08-2002, 04:22 PM
I plan to go to the Shooter's Shootout again this year with my 22. Will any of you be there?

Chris

BS
08-08-2002, 04:36 PM
I've never been to a shootout, can you tell me something about it, and would it be a good place for a fairly inexperienced boater.

Thanks,
Bill

33 Daytona
08-09-2002, 03:55 AM
Sean,
I hear your lake is nice! A couple of the guys I go boating on the river go there each year. This year no one has time to do anything. I would like to come check it out one of these years. If I do I'll try and look you up.

Razorback,
I may be running in the Shootout. It all depends if I can take the time off to make it down there, it has been the plan all summer but you know how other conflicts come up.

BS,
http://www.lakeshootout.com/html/event_schedule.html
this link will give you some info and you can go back to last years site and check out pictures etc.

mjpcowboy
08-09-2002, 10:13 AM
The shootout is the only time you will be able to be in the main channel of the lake around Shooters and expierence calm water since it is a no wake zone during the event. As far as driving in it, no problem since you are running against a clock, no other boats. You will see everything from a 50MPH cruiser to cats running 180+.

Sean
08-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Kelly, I live in Ankeny just 10 minutes from Saylorville Lake. Just give me a shout if you ever head over. The lake is quiet during the week but gets rocking on Saturdays. We were out this weekend and had some great water to run on.