PDA

View Full Version : Bimini vs. Anchorshade

Bad Dog
08-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Well, been awhile since I posted, but I finally have a question worthwhile.

I've got to get something to shield from the sun on my 18' Classic. I've been going over past posts about bimini tops and the new Anchorshade product. I'd really prefer Anchorshade, but I need to know that it can take some mph, such as 30ish. No sense if it can't hold up under some speed. Anybody used this with some insights?

Secondly, I don't mind doing a bimini, but I'd prefer not to drill holes. I read a post some time ago about someone who mounted it on the side railing. Anyone with any insight let me know.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Bad Dog

Last Tango
08-06-2002, 09:45 PM
When I had my Bimini done two years ago for my Classic 18, I also very much wanted to mount the base to the rail rather than drill holes. However, the canvas man showed me the available hardware for each application and at the time there was NO CONTEST that the holes would be drilled in the deck. It has been two years so I don't remember the minutia of the original conversation, but it revolved around the lack of strength and liklihood of a failure in the rail mount because the support is from the side rather than from below. To keep the clamp-style rail mount from twisting down on the rail, there are two holes each to be drilled in the rail. The forces at work here could bend the rail, leave a crimp in the rail, collapse or twist the rail. Filling and finishing four small holes in white gelcoat is a whole lot easier than in Stainless Steel rail.
Since my Bimini was custom made for my boat, it is a permanent part of the boat as far as I am concerned. The holes were drilled because the mounts and the Bimini will always be there. When I sell the boat, the Bimini will go with it. That is exactly the same as every other boat manufactured out there. Both Bimini's on my Z3250 have mounts drilled into the deck. Donzi felt that was best and I'm good with it, too.
I have also drilled holes for a fire extinguisher which is a permanent part of my boat, and an extra grab bar for the front passenger. I won't remove any of that when I sell the boat, the next guy will be happy to have them, so drilling the holes is no big deal.
Finally, in order to have good headroom when running or just sitting, the base of the primary support rod has to be long enough to accomplish this. Since I wanted the curve of the Bimini to fit inside the curve of my grab rail when stowed, the base had to mount farther back than the grab rail extended to give the desired headroom.
The Bimini has a Banana cover to keep it neat when not in use. The banana cover has snaps on the front to secure it to the grab rail for high speed boating and towing. With the Bimini in the stowed position, it fits neatly on the deck above the dash, and it blocks the wind over the deck so I can use my cockpit cover when I am towing and not worry about it blowing off. I've been towing it for two years, 8,000+ miles of it at freeway speeds, and the cockpit cover is still there.
My Bimini has been "flight tested" numerous times at speeds exceeding 50 MPH, with and without the windshield. The two front tie-straps go around the grab rail at the front corners where the grab rail is mounted (through bolted) to the deck. The two rear straps merely hook over the rear deck cleats. When I zip the windshield in, the front tie-straps provide the support to keep it from caving at high speeds. The base of the windshield Velcro's around the grab rail. The Velcro is a long section that is sewn the full base of the windshield and has neat little sections cut out at the grab rail supports. The tall windshield is great for running in the rain! I was Mr. Popular at a SEADOG event when we were trapped by rain while running. All the women wanted to ride with me...
Just my perspective. Yours may be different.

Tomahawk
08-07-2002, 05:43 AM
The Anchor Shade is for use while anchored (or beached or drifting or rafted up or stopped, etc.) Doesn't work while under way.

Bad Dog
08-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Very much appreciated.