PDA

View Full Version : Baby on the way... Minx in jeopardy...

Stix Magill
09-14-2003, 10:37 PM
I have a baby on the way! Joan and I are 4 months pregnant and all is good. My life is changing and I will need some advice from you other fathers.... now back to boats....
I may be going from a Donzi Minx to a Cobalt or comparable soon, unless there is a roomy Donzi you can recommend. The boathouse I am building will hold up to a 26 ft.
I would like to stay under 10K, so almost all Donzis are out of the question (too expensive). The teak-accented V-hull late 70's Cobalts are cheap and very well built. Do any of you know where I can find one of these? Is there another boat I should consider? I am trying to stay away from the pontoon boat my wife wants!! eek!
Is there a roomy Donzi I should look at?
A fishing boat is also in my future. I am leaning toward an all aluminum center console.
My john boat is getting uncomfortable on long fishing trips.
Please opine....

Minx may be for sale soon.... I will post here first.

Stix

I GUESS THIS IS IN THE WRONG AREA. I WILL DELETE TOMORROW.

farmer tx
09-15-2003, 12:36 AM
Stix,
Ilooked at this one the other day, it was nice.
Just needed a little teak refinished, although ther was a bunch of it. http://www.donzi.net/photos/pjhorne066.jpg

Later,Mark

Budman
09-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Cobalts are nice boats but can be pretty pricey.
I was looking at SeaRays and Regals with an open bow. They seem like nice family type boats and are worth looking at. The 18' Regal with the FastTrac hull will run about 55mph.

Tim Morris
09-15-2003, 06:48 AM
This is deja vu all over again, when I read this. I had an over powered '65 16' when I (we) became pregnant back in '83. I was afraid the baby might come tumbling out the back the thing launched so well. So.... I sold it, and....and bought a Minx. The higher freeboard was more comfortable. I still have it, although I couldn't get away from the woman's 'pontoon thingy theory'. I finally got one of those in '99. Everybody's happy.
KEEP THE MINX!

harbormaster
09-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Stix,
My next door neighbors have a 22' cobalt that has all new upholstery and has been in storage for 3-4 years. its on an easy roller trailer. I belive they would take 6k for it. This thing is spotless. They have 2 small kids and not enough income to keep it.

boldts
09-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Stix, I would have to agree with Mr. Morris. The Minx has a good high freeboard for a 20' boat. When Allison came into Beth's and my life, we owned a 18 Classic. We used to put her in her car seat and tuck her up under the deck in the ski boot. She would fall asleep almost instantly. We went through a time when she was about 1 or 2 when she didn't like the thru hull noise, but soon got over that! Our daughter loves the Donzi. Keep the Minx and enjoy your new family member with it. :)

Dredgeking
09-15-2003, 07:46 AM
our daughter was born aug 28th. our '76 16' is a bit small for a family outing. i have been keeping my eye out for a more family friendly boat. the minx is one that may work for me, but something with a small cabin would be better to get madison out of the sun. maybe a classic 22.

the good news is there are plenty of family boats with a bit of performance in your size and price range. let me know what you find out since i'm in the same situation.

AVickers
09-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Watch out on Cobalts of this vintage for transom rot!

I have a friend with one that's been lift-stored in a covered slip all its life. I don't think it's ever been in the water overnight. His transom has areas around the ladder running over to the drive that are very soft and in need of replacement. The rest of the boat looks perfect. It's going to cost him a couple of grand to get it fixed.

As for maintaining the lifestyle w/ a new kid: fuggedaboudit! I had to wait until they were teenagers before I could take up any of my old hobbies. Now, with college tuition and bills on the way, I can't afford, nor do I have time for any of my old hobbies...

Pegasus
09-15-2003, 10:03 AM
We have a Donzi GT250 at the marina for sale with a trailer. 1990. I love my GT230 and use it for weekending. The 250 which has considerably more room has an enclosed head and a refrig etc. Nice room in the cockpit as well as inside. It's Red and White.

Pegasus
09-15-2003, 10:04 AM
PS...since it's Jackson's boat they may take the trade......

PaulO
09-15-2003, 10:35 AM
My kids (2 and 4) love my Formula F206. Unbelievably built boat with the 350 mag and the silent thunder exhaust that gives you a quiet rumble. Nice low, molded, easily accesible swim platform that makes getting them in and out a breeze on the beach. Fully upholstered interior that takes all the sharp hard spots away and beautiful tall windshield that keeps them dry and away from the howling wind. Actually, a great little performance boat too that you would enjoy driving and can pull up proadly to almost any dock.
PaulO

Cuda
09-15-2003, 11:40 AM
The 206 would be a fine boat for what you want. I was looking for one a couple years ago, and I ended up buying a Formula 20 SC, which I'm pretty sure is the same hull, just a larger cockpit area. I have both a Minx and the 20 SC, and the 20 SC is about twice as big as the Minx, even though they are the same length. Lots of freeboard, a cuddy with a v berth and a head. The ride is unbelievably smooth. It's pretty heavy boat, but still runs well. I put a 330 horse 355ci in it with closed cooling. You can sometimes find the 206's or 20 Sc's at good prices. I've completely taken apart the interior, and all the wood and hardware is still in great shape. Some of the 22 year old bolts and screws still look like new. My 20 Sc should be done and may be for sale around the time you will need it.

Good luck with the new family addition!

BUIZILLA
09-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Stix, if your serious about a family boat, you NEED to buy my Four Winns 205. It runs within 2 mph of my Minx, has full canvas, v-berths, head, fold down sun seats, platform, windshield, stereo, cockpit cover, full cover, Solas SS 23" prop, tandem alum trailer w/brakes and washouts... yada, yada... 30 hours on BRAND NEW 350-310 power. First class boat that runs PERFECT like no tomorrow, ask Poodle or Islander or anybody that went to Dora how it runs... I'll trade ya even $$$ for your Minx, no cash either way, you get literally a new boat. You won't be dissapointed. Then you can hang your SS drive from the back of your new 'toon boat :D

J

I'm DEAD serious..

mphatc
09-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Keep the Minx!

Don't get a Cobalt! They ride like crap!

My father had a 1990 23' Cobalt that couldn't get out of the water, and would destroy my back in a 25 mile ride across Winni! Poor trim and vinyl rotted in 5 years!

We also have a 23' Chapparal which we have used as the "daily driver" boat for 5 years, it continues to impress me with it's rugged build quality and rough water performance. It's only down fall . . it is a wetter baot than my Corsican! Lots of crosswind splash :( and no fun after the Donzi!

Present your Minx to your wife as an investment that doesn't depreciate. (Most any other boat WILL depriciate at a higher rate) In the meantime drive it with caution, new mothers need a comfort zone with the kids, especially after the 1st one is born!! :)

Save the wave jumping and 60+ mph blasts for the time when you are out alone. :D :D
MPHATC

Stix Magill
09-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I have sent private messages to a few of you and will send a couple more soon after I research models. I would really like to stay with a fresh water boat.

I have ridden in the V-hull Cobalts on my water and I love the ride. My neighbor has had one for 12 years, a late 70's model, and it has held up perfectly.

The Four Winns and the 250 and the Formula all sound nice and worthy of a look.

Thank you again. You have all helped with all my issues and concerns!

Scott Smith

BUIZILLA
09-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Scott, you NEED to look into my 4 Winns, if you can see thats in ever been in salt, I'll pay your roundtrip fare 100%, plus hotels.

J

Jim
09-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Scott,
I couldn't help but give my 2 cents. I use to have an 18' Classic and I too agree the seats probably were not deep enough to handle a infant.
With a Minx I would think you would be fine, the only thing your missing is if you want to put the baby down for a nap and you really don't have anywhere to get him or her out of the sun. Nothing a shade umbrella couldn't take care of.

We bought a 1988 Z21 about 3 years ago and the additional area for storage is really nice, plus the guys love to climb around in the cabin. We have yet to get them to take a nap in the cabin but if you bought a boat with a cabin I think with one baby you coud probably get it to work for you.

Long story short, keep the minx or look at a older Z series. I don't think it would be that far out of your budget, our feeling is if you get rid of your boat its easy to just not get another.
Our kids love the boat and every morning their pointing at it in the driveway and keep saying boat. I'm not sure if they like helping me hook the trailer up more then going out in the boat buts all fun which is the most important part.
Good luck, Jim

First pic is when they were just over a year old, 2nd pic is fairly recent, 2yrs 3 months.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky6.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky26.jpg

2biguns
09-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Scott,

As Amy is due 11/30/03, I know what you're going through. We're afraid it is going to be a tough transition--going from every weekend on the water to occasional boating trips.

I think we can get Jim to send us his specs on installation of car seats and rig our boat to handle multiple babies. You'll just have to travel to Cullman and boat with us!

Stix Magill
09-17-2003, 07:52 PM
More good suggestions guys. Thank you. There is a little more to the story. 1. My wife has never warmed up to the Donzi experience. 2. I would personally like room to move around after the baby comes. 3. Seating for more than 5 would be very nice! 4. Captain's choice is very expensive and through hull is not baby ear candy (I personally love the sound! biggrin. ) 5. The allure of the Cobalt is that it is very quiet, roomy, and stable.

I will not rush into anything and will consider all options.

Thanks again to all of you for your help and comments.

And by the way, I found out today, IT'S GOING TO BE A BOY!!!

Scott

SS18
09-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Jim,
Those pics are classic! You are a rich man!

FJB20
09-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Gotta Real Nice 2000 Donzi Z22 Bowrider for sale.
GPS Speedo - 4 Speaker Stereo w/cd - dual batteries - pop-up cleats - custom bow cover -
5.7 250 HP - resonable price- quiet,roomy & stable
FJB20@aol.com