PDA

View Full Version : Transom Connection V.S. Muffs

Grip-it
09-12-2003, 09:33 AM
I have a 1987 18' classic. What is the positive / negative of the hose connection in the transom v.s. flushing with muffs? Please Advise.

MOP
09-13-2003, 08:20 AM
To me muffs are simpler, the kits are neater. If you go for a kit the placement of the check valve is important, with an engine pump the vavle goes in the pickup line, with a drive pump it should be put in the garden hose inlet line. I have seen caps come off and boat return at idle with some poor souls finger in the hole.

McGary911
09-13-2003, 11:15 AM
I have a thru-transom. One plus of this is that i cant leave the ears at home, or at the dock. If you forget the ears, youre screwed, but i can always find a hose to flush with. minus is that it makes another hole in the transom, and i like mine clean. Any time ive used muffs on boats, a bunch of water shoots past the suction cups. With the hose, it all goes in. Keep an eye on the exhaust, and if there's enough water coming out, youre fine. Im happy with the thru hull..

Ed Donnelly
09-13-2003, 12:22 PM
I have a through hull on mine. After 16 yrs the check valve is leaking . New one on order...Ed

Grip-it
09-13-2003, 12:27 PM
I'v been told when using the transom flush with a hose it is not as good as muffs because it sends water the oppisite way of the impeller resulting in damage. Is this true?

Ed Donnelly
09-13-2003, 12:30 PM
I have through hull water pick ups,I don't draw water through the drive. PS I have a trs drive.Hope this helps..Ed

BigGrizzly
09-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Grip it, who ever told that is full of BS unless you have a dtive with an internal water pump(like an Alpha drive) than you must run lower unit pick up. I hate eaemufs. With my system the only water to come out of the hose is out of the exhaust.

Grip-it
06-28-2004, 09:15 AM
I do have an alpha drive and understand that I shouldn't use the transom mount flush, but why did it come standard OEM in 1987? I am very confused why Donzi put it there in the first place?

JimG205
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Grip-it-Don't feel left out,my 86 minx has the perko fitting in the upper port transom,that was left with a piece of hose cut in the bilge??My alpha one is fine with the muffs,and I just watch for water going in and coming out-Oh-muffs are cheap and I always carry onboard.Good luck-Jim :wavey:

Forrest
06-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Ya gotta use muffs on an Alpha since the water pump is in the lower unit. Have you ever had muffs slide off the water pick-up area while runnning your engine and you didn't realize it until . . . ? :cussball:

For anything with the water pump in the boat, I perfer the direct hose hookup on the transom or in the engine compartment.

One thing that I did find out though with a transom connection. A good 100-foot garden hose will stretch to almost 130-feet before it snaps when you forget to disconnect it before towing your Donzi out of the driveway. :bonk: