PDA

View Full Version : Hull HP Ratings?

Kikwear
09-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Why does Donzi list the max HP for the 16' Classic at 260hp? Obviously, there are more with in excess of that. Does it produce a structural stability problem if you go too much?

HyperDonzi
09-11-2003, 06:43 PM
I would think mostly for insurance and liability issues. The average James dosent need to go 76-79 mph in a 16 classic, while other James... wink

Edit: Rootsy, it just had to be said wink

Rootsy
09-11-2003, 06:50 PM
:D

MOP
09-11-2003, 09:46 PM
I got wet 1 hour an 1-1/2 putting it away! :D

You got the red out from under your nails yet?

Had to have a bit massaging that sweet tractor!

wink :D

Rootsy
09-12-2003, 10:01 AM
rubber gloves solve that problem MOP wink

330 + propshaft HP and a 16 with one TINY TINY stress crack :)

wonder how she'll do in excess of scorpion territory wink

mattyboy
09-12-2003, 11:03 AM
remember the Winnie Monster 16 over 600hp and 2 foot k planes eek! :p wink :D

matty

CDMA
09-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Guys its not about the power its about the abuse.

Jamie, Yeah you can run 330 Pshp but most of your boating is in a calm small lake.

I gaurentee you I could break that thing in half in 2 days on Winni.

In my opinion its not so much about how much power these boats can take it is about how you use it. If you have 400 hp but only use it when it is calm out you are set. That being said you try to use that 400 hp in the wrong situation you will not only break the boat but you will break yourself.

Chris

Drowning in a sea of containers....

Ranman
09-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Dude,

What the hell is that college teaching you? :D :D :D

Brake - A device for slowing or stopping motion, as of a vehicle, especially by contact friction.

Break - To cause to separate into pieces suddenly or violently; smash.

...huket ahn fahnix wurked fore mee!

mattyboy
09-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Chris ,
my filosofee ( i gradeated from hook on fonics 2)
in life is what good is power unless you can abuse it!!! :p wink :D

Matty

CDMA
09-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Hey man why do you think I go to college for math...

Cause I can't spell...

Well if its twist you are talking about then I think GEOO has proven, there really is no limit. wink :) :)

Chris

Rootsy
09-12-2003, 12:49 PM
true chris,

i do most of my boating in 2 feet or less seas with short period waves... but there has been more than one occasion where i have tried my best to be just like DORK wink

and i agree the pounding will twist, flex and crack things apart until, if violent enough, something will give... but i think we were talking BOUT pure twist from POWER under the hatch wink

now get your ass out there and get me a project... screw that cargo ship!!!! :D :p wink :D

Dredgeking
09-12-2003, 12:56 PM
read my signature. wink

GEOO
09-12-2003, 02:16 PM
I think Donzi puts the HP rating because it's a Coast Guard requirement. There may even be a formula, length, width, hull displacement.???

Greg K
09-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Funny..how this turned into I wanna be just like Dork..LOL :p
So I miss a few occasionally and how I enjoy 15-20 mile runs wide open at the request of my son, just so he can get me to re-power and attain more top speed wink . Give me 3 to 4 foot chop and I'm happy as can be flying at 60mph while other boats chug along struggling to get thru it.

Machines break and machines can be fixed.

BERTRAM BOY
09-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Poodle,
I think there is a white goat in South Jersey....

HyperDonzi
09-12-2003, 09:55 PM
GEOO:
I think Donzi puts the HP rating because it's a Coast Guard requirement. There may even be a formula, length, width, hull displacement.??? I think it also might be for insurance purposes.

MOP
09-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Mr. Poddle! Looking at that thing on the map I'm thinking it is time for you Floridians to make tracks for the high ground. Been watching this one, may be a real bad one.

mattyboy
09-13-2003, 08:13 AM
white goat??? that won't work I think you need chicken feathers and blood. :p wink :D

I will now refrain from the obligatory bashing of my southern brothers, for the price they pay to live in paradise.For the weather here has been great the last couple of days, today a lil rain but tom. back to sunny mid 70's all the summer people gone I have had the lake to myself, and the 16 handles all 290+ hp I have quite well, but a 9 mile lake can get small quick at WOT wink

Take care down there and no hurricane parties!

Matty

BigGrizzly
09-13-2003, 07:02 PM
The CG does have a HP requirament. As of yet there is no formula, it initally was a weight situation. The manufactures make numbers, from their stand point is the Liability issue. If you have an accident and the ibsurance company finds out they are off the hook for any liability!