PDA

View Full Version : Kudos for Mercury Marine Customer Service

Tidbart
09-11-2003, 12:18 PM
I'll try and keep this short.
Last year, I replaced the impeller in my raw water pump in the 18 (1996, 350 Mag). I rebuilt the pump with new gaskets etc. I torqued the bolts per the Merc Manual and proceeded to put hairline cracks in the plastic housing. :( I did a quick calculation and found a misprint in the specs. What said 30 lb-ft, should have said 10 lb-ft. I needed the boat and the cracks weren't "life-threatening", so I put it back in service.

Last week I noticed a slight leak coming from the pump when I ran it in the driveway, but the pump still worked :D fine.

Last weekend, I dediced to contact Merc and explain what had happened and about the misprint in the manual. I wrote asking if there was anything they could do for me to help in the replacement of the housing, maybe a discount on a replacement part.

I got a reply the very next morning. Here is the reply:

""Mr. Wilson,
Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate you bringing this misprint to our attention. As you have pointed out, this should have given the
spec as 10 lb-ft. We would like to replace this housing by sending you a new one. If you could just let us know what address this would need to be sent to we can put the order in and get this out to you. Once again, thank you for allowing us to assist with this issue.

MerCruiser Consumer Service""

Fedex delivered a complete, brand spanking new pump today. :D Now that is customer service!!

Bob :D

mikev
09-11-2003, 01:00 PM
to bad you dont get customer service like that from anyone else my chevy dealer should take note.

Morgan's Cloud
09-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Wish my merc customer story was a happy one like that....
I will NEVER again own a black motor ! :mad:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Merc replaced my fuel injectors for me this year after the motor warranty expired 6 months prior, no ZCare needed, no questions ask.
I think Merc has great customer service.
Bryan