PDA

View Full Version : New Classic 22 502 Mag MPI

Pismo
09-11-2003, 11:20 AM
I just took delivery of a new(used) 22 Classic with a 502 Mag MPI 415hp, Bravo, and Mirage Plus 25p prop, switchable exhaust. It's a beauty.

What kind of experiences have you all had with this boat. Top speed?, any easy upgrades(Performance or otherwise)would you recommend?, favorite props, engine upgrades, muffler ideas, steering upgrades, where can I order a good mooring cover and a new cockpit cover (which I need), any typical problems, etc.......

Anything would be great to know.

I am now a proud Donzi owner....

Thanks very much,
Steve

Ranman
09-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Welcome Steve and congratulations on your new boat.

The 502 (414HP) 22 Classic will run 70-73mph is stock form.

The Mirage Plus is a good prop, but a Precision Propellers Turbo One may provide slightly better top end and handling.

Lose the mufflers unless they're required where you boat.

Upgrading to full hydraulic steering is popular on the 22 Classics, especially if you plan to modify the boat to go any faster than it already is. Full systems will run you around $5K when it's all said and done.

For the best in cockpit covers, contact Built-Rite Upholstry (they are listed in the "where to get Stuff" section on this board). Built-Rite may also do mooring covers, but I'm not 100% sure.

As far as problems go, the only problem you'll have with that boat is wiping the smile off your face. Good luck and keep us posted.

HoleShot
09-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Pismo:
I just took delivery of a new(used) 22 Classic with a 502 Mag MPI 415hp, Bravo, and Mirage Plus 25p prop, switchable exhaust. It's a beauty.

What kind of experiences have you all had with this boat. Top speed?, any easy upgrades(Performance or otherwise)would you recommend?, favorite props, engine upgrades, muffler ideas, steering upgrades, where can I order a good mooring cover and a new cockpit cover (which I need), any typical problems, etc.......

Anything would be great to know.

I am now a proud Donzi owner....

Thanks very much,
Steve

HoleShot
09-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I just installed a 502 HO in my 22 this year, it is the best thing I have done since I bought the boat, I just found a Spinelli 4 blade and it made the boat handles like a dream, I don't know what the top end is yet but I had no problem getting to 70 with very little trim,I had a Hydramotive Quad IV before but there is no comparison I would suggest k panes and definately Hydraulic steering, I have a lot of other add on's but can't say there was any major changes with any of them, the boat is great as it is just enjoy it for a while and you will know what you may want to chnage after that.
Jim

RickR
09-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Overtons has a custom Sunbrella mooring cover for the 22Classic. Do yourself a favor and get the optional tiedowns.

The Turbo gave me .9 more MPH over the Mirage Plus. The Turbo runs a little lose. I prefer the Mirage Plus for rough conditions and spirited handling situations :rolleyes: .

Pismo
09-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Has anyone ever tried a sternjack on a Classic 22 with a 502 Magnum?

Thanks,

Steve