PDA

View Full Version : Our new project

Arie S
09-10-2003, 09:32 PM
My father and I picked up an older donzi last winter. It needs lots of work and we are hoping that we could get a lot of information to restore it. We don't know what we have on our hands. It had a ford with a real strange mounting system with no outdrive. We think it had a volvo 250. The first thing that needs repair is the deck core. Its completly rotten. We have read about members that have repaired the balsa core in the deck and were wondering if anyone has some information on doing this task. We are new members to the donzi board. Our last restoration project was a 16 Sutphen outboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/acfeec.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/donzi_6.jpg

rockindaboat
09-11-2003, 09:38 AM
arie,i just did a deck core repair on my 16 last year.what i did was drilled about 350 1/4 inch holes threw the top layer of glass around the port side stern vents.i used a mix of expoy resin cabosil and micro ballons.then injected it into the core made clamps to hold together.sanded it then sealed with gel coat came out real nice!i took pic of repair if intereasted.e-mail me if i could be any help and have fun with it ,GOOD LUCK

CDMA
09-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Nice project.

I am guessing by the emblems it is a 69?

Does anyone else see hook in the back chine?

Chris

Rootsy
09-11-2003, 07:56 PM
man i saw that photo and i thought i was crossin the mississippi into st. louis eek!

GEOO
09-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Arie S,
Nice Donzi. Gotta love those old ones. Enjoy the restoration. A few of our boats have been apart so feel free to ask any questions.

Chris,
I often thought of adding hook back in to mine chine. My logic was it would help the boat get on plan quicker, allow you to stay on plan at slower seeds, stop slow speed porpoising, and would be out of the water at high speeds so it wouldn't force the bow down. :rolleyes:

Arie S
09-11-2003, 08:54 PM
lucky we found it :D http://www.donzi.net/photos/donzi_12.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/acf1379.jpg

BERTRAM BOY
09-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Arie,
Check out this link. It isn't about the core, but you can clearly see the difference of before and after.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D wiring and recore (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008211#000000)

BigGrizzly
09-11-2003, 09:39 PM
It looks like a 1967 due to the step lift length It has the same hook that our 16 has. It looks like it had H&M exhaust that have been replaced and the holes plugged. I need to s4ee the inside of the engine compatment to see the rear mounting to the outdrive. It lookes to be a 200 drive. The hook 3as put on thoes boats so they would plane faster and cruise at a slower speed. The have little or no effict at high speed. All the old 16's had them. We removed them on Andy's boat and it took for ever to pland and porposed all the tim at a cruise. He ended up putting planes on it than sold it.

mattyboy
09-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Nice find good luck with the project, I would think it might even be older than a 67 judging by the lack of clam shell vents,I looked at an 18 in maroon on Lk Hopatcong had the same scoop on the hatch a few years back.keep us posted

Matty

Arie S
09-12-2003, 07:09 AM
We found it near Lk Hopatcong. It had a 302 car motor in it and no outdrive. It had been outside a long time and the rear deck by the seat looks to have sagged a bit from the snow load. We are currently trying to get a title for it before we doany work to it. we dont know age of the boat. Sorry about pictures. how do I resize them.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dcp01228.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/acf22.jpg

BillG
09-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Looks like it had an Intercepter in it originally. They had the 90 deg. outlets on the risers, so the outlets were a lot father apart. Not earlier than a 68 because the lower stake stops short of the transom.
Bill G

HOTFOOT
09-12-2003, 08:54 AM
This looks like a similar project to my 67. If it's been out in the weather the chances are the balsa core is saturated with water in which case the deck needs removing the old core removing by cutting out the inner layer of fibreglass. Then recoring, I did mine in Baltek contourcore balsa due to better compressive strength than foam. Then reglassing over the core. After recoring ensure that ALL holes drilled into the core are sealed with epoxy. In areas of the deck where thru bolts or screws would be placed I installed 1/2 inch marine ply instead of balsa for better holding strength. Check the wood in the transom and stringers too, if it's anything like mine this will need replacing too. Good luck.

mattyboy
09-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Arie S
check for hull numbers up by the bow eye that's where we found mine. my 16 is a 67 16-410 it was an eaton 289 boat and had the holes plugged when re powered in 69 to a 351w and volvo 250.
Bill I didn't know you could tell be the lifting strakes the year a boat was?? my inner strakes stop short of the transom too, I thought they only went to the transom on a sharp keeled boat?
learning more every day.
Aire if you need a hand or have any questions drop me a line I'm not to far from you in Greenwood Lake NY.

Forrest
09-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Nice find, but what's that white stuff the cockpit is filled with? :D

The last picture showing the Merc water pick-up leads me to believe that your Donzi may have once had a Volvo "speedmaster" lower unit. All the other Volvo drives have the water pickup located in the drive unit except the for the speedmaster.

Best of luck!

olredalert
09-12-2003, 09:55 AM
-------You got it,Forrest,the Speedmaster makes sense.Prior owner probably took that as one of the few things of any value in his mind.Had it been a standard Volvo there really wouldnt have been much reason to take it off!
-------Womder how the little bugger ran,and if he ever got the combo figured out.........Bill S

Rootsy
09-12-2003, 09:59 AM
matty i think all of the 16 bottoms, from then til now have had the same strake arrangement.. outer extend all the way back.. inner end about 6 feet from the transom... round keel...

my hook is NOT that pronounced.. more of a dip...

mattyboy
09-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Rootsy ,
that is what I thought as well, but Donzi threw some curves every once and a while!! so I wouldn't bet on it.
like my standard volvo doesn't have the pick up in the drive it is in the bottom of the hull?? not a speed master for sure???
no deck coring either pvc pipe for support, Tony Sporer's boat is the same 10 hulls apart. Seems just like you get them figured out and bam another curve, 18's have 2 grab rails well maybe not the new ones have wrap arounds like the 16??
just when you think you've got it figured out the change the game on you wink :D
Matty

Dredgeking
09-12-2003, 11:08 AM
gotta love a good project. best of luck. give us plenty of progress updates and pics.

McGary911
09-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Cool boat. Welcome to the board. Looks like a great and involved project. What's the plan for that scoop? staying or going? you may want to check the hull bottom trueness to see if it's deformed from sitting on that single roller trailer for so long, especially with all the snow weight.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BERTRAM BOY
09-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Matty,
The only sharp keeled boats are 18 Barrelbacks.....
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

mattyboy
09-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Cliff,
yes I know but,
Thought I saw a sharped keeled v drive 16 might have been an 18 brrelback though.The mind is going :rolleyes:

less post more work wink :D
call me if you need a hand

Matty

Max Continuous
09-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Nice find! I do not know if you are going for an original resoration but I am about to list my 460 King Cobra and freshly rebuilt cobra drive for sale. Both are out of my 22 classic which is being repowered. I loved the 460 but am repowering to 500+ HP. The 460 has around 100 hours on it and was a rebuild in 98 it is strong and complete. The rebuild on the drive is almost complete. Location is Beaufort NC. Hopefully everything will still be there after the hurricane.
web page (http://fgoudey@infiltratorsystems.net)
Ford goudey
MAX CONTINUOUS