PDA

View Full Version : Barnacles?

Fish boy
01-22-2004, 08:14 AM
I friend of mine asked if there are anyone know of any "miracle" products that remove barnacles caked on the bottom of a boat? I have always done it the old fashioned way- paint scraper, wet sand, buffer... (including the bloody knuckles), but it got me thinking.

Anyone have any experience with any products that make the chore easier?

Thanks,

Fish

Cuda
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Yep, I scraped the big stuff off then wiped it with muriatic acid. Smooth as a baby's butt.

boldts
01-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry couldn't resist since you guys always get us for living in a snow covered area of the country.

Move to a fresh water lake! :D :p :D

Rootsy
01-22-2004, 01:48 PM
heck scott... then'll you'll have to scrape off the pesky zebra mussels... :rolleyes:

hmmm my solution? keep it on the trailer wink

JimG205
01-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Just curious???? How long does it take for the barnacles to attach in those warm waters where no snow flies?? :)

Fish boy
01-23-2004, 09:14 AM
thanks cuda and HP 600sc.

Scott, you are right, but I guess it beats scraping snow every morning wink

Rootsy, definately right about keeping it on a trailer- I don't let mine sit, but some of the boats that are the best deals have not always been cared for like they should have been by the provious owners.

JimG depends on the weather. During winter when it is colder (I know, relative term), it can take 6-7 days before you start seeing little nubs growing. In the summer, more than 2 days and growth will start. They start really small, but still have a tremendous effect on speed.

MOP
01-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Had to jump in on this one, was visiting a buddy in Boca years back mid July, we used his rack stored boat the day I got down there. When we got back to the marina he told them leave it in that he would be using it a lot over the next week or two. That night we hooked up and ended up in the Keys by car with the babes for the next 3 days. The day after we got back we went out with the babes in the boat which now mysteriously would not go on plane. Mind you it had been in the water 4 full days after we used it, he had it lifted out to check maybe props etc. I could not believe the entire bottom looked like 40 grit paper, had a gazillion minuscule barnacles. Been there Seen That!

mattyboy
01-23-2004, 09:23 AM
this is a lil OT but does anyone remember the words to "I'm Barnacle Bill the sailor"
seems I have the verse stuck in my head now
" yada yada yada wind up in jail yada yada...I'll knock the down the walls with my 20 ton balls,
I'm Barnacle Bill the sailor.......

Please it's winter this could drive me over the edge this weekend if I can't find out

Matty eek! :confused: :rolleyes: wink :D

Fish boy
01-23-2004, 09:50 AM
matty,
found several different versions:

Transcribed from Louis Jordan's Elks Rendezvous Band, vocal by Louis Jordan, recorded December 20, 1938.
From Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, 1934-1940; The Chronogical Classics, 636.

Who's that knocking at my door?
Said the fair young maiden!

Well, it's only me from over the sea,
Said Barnacle Bill the Sailor,
I'm all lit up like a Christmas tree,
Said Barnacle Bill the Sailor.
I'll sail the sea until I croak,
Drink my whiskey, swear, and smoke,
But I can't swim a bloody stroke,

Tell me when we soon shall wed,
Said the fair young maiden.

Uh-uh!
I got me a wife in every port,
The handsome gals is what I court,
With my false heart and flattering tongue
I courts 'em all both old and young,
I courts 'em all, but marries none,

So good-bye,
Good-bye,
So long, toots,
I'll see you again!

SOme of the versions I could not post (warning, some words you cannot say on television in these songs), I do not recommend these for the ladies:

bbill1 (http://www.geocities.com/squadron400/barnacle.htm)

bbill2 (http://www.diamondgeezers.org.uk/sounds/lyrics/barnaclebillthesailor.html)

bbill3 (http://cube.kv.k12.in.us/LSC/chanty.htm)

Cuda
01-23-2004, 09:59 AM
The rate of barnacle growth depends on the water temp AND the amount of water flow. If you are in a fairly stagnant area and the water is very warm, they will grow like wild fire. I left my first boat in a slip in August while I was working on the trailer. Three days later, my brother and I decide to go fishing. The boat wouldn't plane off, I thought we had spun the prop. There were barnacles on there about three quarters of an inch tall.

Some of you St Pete boys know the marina, it's Huber. It's a dead end waterway with no flow at all. I remember the time well. It was when Hurricane Elena hit, and I had no trailer to put it on. :mad:

Fish boy
01-23-2004, 10:16 AM
been there, no water flow at all. Same with Maximo.

Probably the worst part is the growth that happens inside the lower unit where water gets in through the water intakes. :( as Rootsy sadi, best to keep them out of water if you can.

Just a tip while we are on the subject, if you find barnacles on your boat and it has not been in the water very long, pull near a beach (3-4 ft of water), grab a rag, and wipe them off. They come off easier while alive and in the water than dead and out of the water (if realtively small AND the boat has not been in the water more than a few days).

mattyboy
01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
fishboy
thank you
udda man!!!!

Matty

Marlin275
01-23-2004, 12:06 PM
These bad whitecaps have hurt my boat performance far worse than simple barnacles.
I changed props many times, I changed the oil and I changed my mind and went back home.
Loud bang everytime I tried to get on plane? http://www.donzi.net/photos/gabeler313.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/gabeler115.jpg