PDA

View Full Version : Hatches, We Don't Need No Stinking Hatches!

Dr. Dan
01-21-2004, 05:06 PM
:D O.K. Troops...what ever happened to the idea of getting custom made Hatches for people who needed just a tad more clearence? I really do not want a scoop,maybe a 22 Classic version of the "Humped 18 Classic Style hatch", I am looking at some alternative power arrangements and I thought well what the hey...it does not hurt to ask? :p

:cool: Doc

oldLenny
01-21-2004, 05:56 PM
I offered my services a while back. There was some interest in the 16, 18, 22, but so far no luck. I need three donors of these hatches to begin with. Simple stuff, but I need the patterns...VERY affordable as well.

roadtrip se
01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Tall hatch for a tall deck? Hmmmmm.

I'm not up for the donor clause, but I would buy one to have around, just in case something else might find its way in back there.

So how much in rough numbers Lenny?

oldLenny
01-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Without shipping (I would send about 10 at a time in two packs, I figured about $200-250 US each in white gel...$50 more for cored. (1/2" Balsa) Isothalic resin throughout ( NOT general purpose polyester) Coring in or out, I don't care. These need to be straight hatches with the correct curvature as what you give is what you get... :D

harbormaster
01-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Lenny Let me know what you need.

oldLenny
01-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Stock 16, stock 18, stock 18 raised, 22...That's it. Simple stuff, but ship them WITHOUT hardware, preferably gelcoated and NOT painted, 7" stripe (or 12") in place and a decent camber to match the boat. Some of these are depressed, and Ridalyn won't fix that. These need to be STRAIGHT as they are what everyone gets. The 3-4 donors are shipped as Promotional Items between Countries, and the journey going south again has been offered up by Boxy and his border intricacies... easy stuff,,,but at this point all I can provide is a GT21 hatch, an X-18 hatch, a Formula Junior hatch,...and,,...well,... :rolleyes: we all know what happened to the 16 "hatch"...

Barry Phillips
01-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Doc, I owned an 18 and I always liked the hump back style hatch, I thought it looked really cool. My 18 looked really aggressive from the ass end, especially with Bravo 1 and the large diameter through hull exhaust. I'm not sure how much clearance it actually provided looking from the underside. I've seen older OMC boats with really raised hatches, not sure why. There was a guy at Lake George who had Miami Boat show special edition 18 from the 70's, which had a really raised hatch to accommodate a hi-rise intake manifold. The owner was pointing out crudely this thing was installed. The under side of the hatch was merely cut out freehand with a jigsaw and the raised hatch section was screwed, not even glassed in. You could still the pencil marks on the underside of the hatch. I’m not crazy about putting air scoops on classic Donzis, but there are a lot scoop styles in the automotive market and a low profile scoop properly installed and glassed in would probably look OK. I always thought a frenched in air intake would look cool on my 18.