PDA

View Full Version : what's the draft of the 22 classic???

CLASSIC 22 WITH A 502
01-20-2004, 07:03 AM
Can any one tell me what the draft on the 22 classic is, trim up and down. Just orderd my new dual ram steering system yahoo and I have three props lined up for testing this spring, bravo 1 24 pitch 4 blade, mirage plus 23 pitch 3 blade and a 25 as well. If anyone has tried, or is running any one of these props currently I would love to know what you think about them. Did you see any gain in your top end, how much?? is it worth changing from my mirage 25.

Thanks Ryan C.22 W.502

Dr. Dan
01-20-2004, 07:36 AM
wink Draft is listed at 33" (down)and I have been told 16" (Up)....... according to my Brochure... I would not run fast under 3' or 4' of water...things happen pretty quickly down there..and its e$penSive!!! eek!

:cool: Doc

Ranman
01-20-2004, 07:54 AM
I would not run fast under 3' or 4' of water...things happen pretty quickly down there..and its e$penSive!!!
Lake St. Clair would definatly make you nervous then. The motto out there is "keep her up on plane and you'll be OK." At least the bottome is almost always sand.

Actually, it's a great boating lake and is plenty deep in most areas. Any plans to come out to the MADCOW gathering?

...makes me wonder how they get those 40 footers in the bay to form the "Aisle of Flesh"...

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-20-2004, 03:46 PM
CLASSIC 22 WITH A 502:
Can any one tell me what the draft on the 22 classic is, trim up and down. It depends on how fast you're going. I once saw an outboard that ran over a dam without getting a scratch. Apparently it was trimmed to the moon and haulin' ass, and there was enough water going over the dam to float it. I wonder what he was thinking when his boat suddenly dropped four feet! eek!

FR :D

catch 22
01-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Ryan, I have a 22 classic with a 454 mag mpi, I just replaced the stock exhaust with stainless marine exhaust. Before the new exhaust I ran a 23 mirage plus 70mph @ 5000rpm. I also tried a 25 mirage plus 70mph @ 4800rpm. I also tried a hydro 4 23 pitch 68mph @ 5000rpm. And last but not least I tried 23 turbo and ran 71mph @ 5100rpm. After the new exhaust I was not able to try the turbo again, but the 23 mirage plus ran 71mph @ 5200rpm. I wasn't able to try the 25 mirage plus but I will soon. The 23 hydro 4 ran 71mph @ 5200rpm. There might be a little more left but I need to get the rpm's down to around 4900-5000. I love the way the hydro 4 runs on the boat. Just wondering why the hydro 4 picked up and is running as good as the other 3 blades. Jim :confused:

boldts
01-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Jim,
Looks like you could have ran a 24" Turbo 1 before the new Stainless Exhaust. Should be a little faster yet even with less RPMs. Now with the new exhaust, you may even be able to run a 25 or 26 Turbo 1. The Turbo should be faster than any of the other props your running. The 4 blade will be the best handling prop due to more blades in the water, but it should be slower for the same reason.

I am suggesting the Turbo 1 because the company sponsors our annual gathering and the prop was an amazing improvement on my 1998 22 Classic that has the 454 Carb with 1.65:1 Bravo 1. Because of my drive ratio, I could only turn a 22" Turbo 1 at 4900 RPMs. I had a Mirage on the boat before hand because it came with the boat. The Mirage was a 23". I tried a 21" Turbo to get more RPMs, but I didn't gain more speed with more engine RPM so why run the engine harder than necessary. In my case, the Mirage was at 65 GPS and the Turbo 1 is at 68.9 GPS.

Add 2" of pitch to the Turbo 1 and try it again. I'd be willing to bet you find even more speed at less RPMs. Sorry, got off topic, but I'm always willing to push a product that works and at less $$$ out of my pocket.