PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice ?????

JimG205
01-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Sold the 16 Classic and am going bigger guy's.Have come across two private deals in the Northeast- a 20'Minx and a 22 Classic 2+3.Let me have the pro's and cons of each--I know you guys will leave no stone unturned,Thanks in advance Jim wink :D eek! :D

Morgan's Cloud
01-19-2004, 01:55 PM
:D If you buy the Minx you can always step up to the 22 later :D

Dr. Dan
01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
:D Jim....Do yourself a favor and use the "Search" feature to explore the previous threads on both of these styles. Although you will get endless opinion and commentary here, non of which has not been discussed before...the 22 Classic has always been hotly debated....the Mynx being substantially more limited in availability is discussed less. It is also a good idea to attend an Event...such as the "1st Annual Scott Pearson don't even think of moving my Fu*%ing Boat Festival and Opened Tuna Can Hunt" aka. Spring DustOff at Lake George.. many of the members drive both of these styles...Joe Wilkes has a very nice Mynx, and there are quantities of 22 Classics of all varieties....... Good Luck and hope to see ya there! wink

:cool: Doc of Atagonists!

Scott Pearson
01-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Doc,
Your killing me......... :D :D ! Should be a great time like always this year up in Lake George...cant wait!

(NJ)Scott

Woodsy
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Jim,

The biggest difference between the two boats is the available power pkgs. I am pretty sure the Minx was powered with the SBC/Merc Alpha as its top power. The 22 Classics almost always came with BBC power, the earlier ones in front of Alpha's the later with Bravo's. Some 22 C's like Dr. Dan's came with a BBC in front of an OMC Cobra. IMHO, the power pkg to have in a 22 Classic is the 454 or 502 MAG EFI with the Bravo I drive.

It all comes down to what you like and what you can afford I guess. Either boat is pretty cool... of course I am slighlty biased towards the 22 Classic.... :D

Woodsy Von Outboard

mattyboy
01-19-2004, 06:19 PM
yeah what Doc said get to lake george you won't regret it!
yeah what Woodsy said too!!! wink :D He has a nice one for sale too!, I am looking to go bigger from a 16 probaly at the end of next season and think the minx is nice but a 22c is the way to go!

Matty

JimG205
01-19-2004, 07:21 PM
The minx seems to have a higher freeboard where you sit lower in the boat(or does the deck configuration just make it appear that way)and the 22 appears to be bigger in the cockpit area.My biggest complaint with the 16 was I felt like(I'm 6'3" tall)I was sitting on the deck!I would like to sit down more in the boat which equates to a dryer ride and have legroom.It's not exactly test drive weather here.Jim :D

RPD
01-19-2004, 07:34 PM
The "sitting on deck" feel is a characteristic of the 16, everyone feels it.... I'm 5'8" and shrinking and I feel it....

Barry Phillips
01-19-2004, 08:08 PM
As mentioned above the Minx is rare, being produced only 2 years, compared to the 22 which has been in continuious production since the 70s. The Minx has more freeboard but it is also 2.5 feet shorter. Again almost every Minx you will find will be running a 260 hp small block with an Alfa drive. Unless you are planning a big block repower they are not blistering fast boats, 55 to 60 mph range depending on set up. The 22s were produced with varity of power packages from 350s to 502s in the earlier models. They also sported everything from Mecruiser Alfa 1, Bravo 1 and TRS drives to OMC King Cobras depending on the year and power you are looking at. The Minx is a handsome boat and very rare but the 22s are longer and faster, so the choice is yours. Either way you can't go wrong.

Verdugo
01-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Sitting on the Deck? :confused: don't feel bad I am 6'2" on a 16 foot classic and it looks like i am driving a go cart.

What can i say I love the dam thing.

Lowenski