PDA

View Full Version : PBM 22 Special Edition test

MOP
01-18-2004, 06:12 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, do you think the boys were spooked by the boat. Interesting what thier top tester had to say about the keel.

http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2002tests/jan1.php

Dr. Dan
01-18-2004, 06:30 AM
:D Phil we have talked about this before...but its always a good Winter Topic........anyone who knows how to "Actually Drive" the boat seems to not have a problem........unfortunately when you read this article it does not paint a favorable picture of the 22 Classic and its attitude and true handling capabilities on the water! Which for me is very disturbing....I read Powerboat religiously....and have for close to 15 years or so....this article really bothered me....I think maybe for our next Owners Rally we need to bring those guys for some rides in Sarasota...driven in Donzis by their owners....Whadya Gonna Do? :p

:cool: Doc

Fish boy
01-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Driver sounds sceeered to me! Puehaps he should stay on the porch with the pups and let the big dongs run in the tall grass.

Fish

MOP
01-18-2004, 07:54 AM
I totally agree testers do not own the boats and do not get enough seat time, just run the crap out of them for a day or two and give their god like criticism. Let them have the boat for a month their minds would change. The 22 to me was the best all around boat with the best looks, yours and Robs a little more than some others got me hooked. There was a very nice cross section of boats, 16 to 30, a jet, an A drive, a Black Hawk and last but not least very nice originals, I would needs two pages to give my thoughts on each boat there would be no negatives just variables. But being left out of some of the 1000 Islands running with my 16 due to the "Victory at Sea" conditions was the clincher. I was glued to watching how each boat preformed, I liked the 22 a the best with a close follow up by Ole reds El Pescador. Frank and a other bigger boats did it a tad better. EM's 30 Black Widow laid waste to the chop, I felt like I was riding in the committee boat. That being said it is like all things a matter of taste, I like the classic over modern the lines. The later bigger boats afforded more creature comforts and did their job exceptionally well. Now lets see if I can get my project 22 done in time to play with it this winter threw me a foul blow.

MOP
01-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Another thought if the guy played with it a bit he would have posted a better top end and really got scared :D

DS88
01-18-2004, 08:12 AM
What do you make of the prop selection - 14 5/8" X 25" 3 blade. Seems to me the 500EFI can turn a bigger prop then that. Wonder if they were bouncing off the rev limiter.

- Just a thought

Dave

terry
01-18-2004, 08:21 AM
That is the correct prop for that boat.......
good thought though.... :)

harbormaster
01-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Notice they did not give the name of the test driver.... They did not want to embarass him.

Air 22
01-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Bob Teague needs to make the driver tests on 22 Classic...we know he can drive... wink

Barry Phillips
01-18-2004, 02:35 PM
I have that issue and I thought Power Boat must have asigned family boat guy, I've never heard of a serious go fast power boater suggesting less hp. The 22 SE is really a nice ride. PB's as tested top speed of 74.9 mph also conflicted with factorys 78+ rating, I guess they forgot to trim the drive out.

Fish boy
01-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Geoo's would call for a change of shorts.. and a plastic surgeon to remove the smile from his face