PDA

View Full Version : motor rebuild

riverrat
01-15-2004, 06:02 PM
If you pulled your motor down & forgot to tag the holes the pistons & rods came from what would be the best approch to getting it back together again.?

lets here some feed back..

the rat :D

BillG
01-15-2004, 09:52 PM
The rods are usually numbered, so it is not hard.
Just make sure you put the caps back on the same way they came off, unless you are going to use new bolts and have big end resized.

Bill G

Cuda
01-15-2004, 10:40 PM
BillG:
The rods are usually numbered, so it is not hard.
That's what I thought. I had always worked on Fords which are numbered. The sbc I am building does not have numbers. I ended up buying another set anyway, they aren't numbered either.

When I was thinking of using the original rods, I tried matching them up by looking at the casting and lining up any lines or scratches etc. I'm pretty sure I had them right.

MOP
01-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Take the block and pistons to a local machine shop let them Mic things up as all cylindrs wear differently. They can match the pistons by allowable tolerances, that is more important than the original holes, you will honing to break the glaze in the cylinders anyway. They can also boil the block pull the oil gallery plugs and check the restrictors which do get pluged up over time. Also when buying bearings no matter who's insist on full grove mains, that will insure good flow to the rods which run hotter.