PDA

View Full Version : 24' Donzi Spitfire

boldts
01-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Just looking for information gentlemen and yes, I've seen the picture in the model list. That of course is what has prombted my questions.

Does anyone have a catalog or maybe know someone who owns one? I'd like to see more pictures - Cabin if there is one, engine compartment, etc. What engine or engines and drives were used Anyone know where one might be for sale - just asking, not serious at this point, but always collecting data! :D

1996Z15
01-15-2004, 02:35 PM
I would also like to see some "real world" pictures of a Spitfire. I have always thought that they were hot looking boats but, other than the picture posted in the Model List, I haven't seen any other photos.
From the lack of photos and discussions about them it would seem to me that they are every bit as rare as the Criterion, Minx, Corsican?

smoothie
01-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes...it would make a good Erie boat :D
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007297;p=2
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007779#000000
And left-hand steering no less. :cool:

boldts
01-15-2004, 03:00 PM
There ya go! Thanks Smoothie :) We have a member of the MWDonzi Club with one up on Lake Erie, but I've never met the owner or talked to them. I asked for a picture, but haven't received one. Maybe I'll bug him again and see if I can talk him into coming down to KY in May. I for one would like to see a Spitfire in person. Looks kind of like a larger Classic with twins. Especially the way it appears to be sitting in the water in the model list picture. Wonder how many were built and especially, how many were blue and white :D

Ranman
01-15-2004, 03:39 PM
There used to be a member here by the handle "elramone". Never posted much. He lived two streets from me for a while, then moved out to Lake St. Clair. He had a partially restored Spitfire in his garage. Big Block and SSM III. The hull looked beautiful, but the boat was mostly de-rigged. I wonder if "elramone" is still out there and if he's made any progress on the boat.

Also, if I remember right, he was buddies with another member here "Spitfire Dave". Anyone remember???

TuxedoPk
01-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Scott- I can't say for certain how the Spitfire came powered, but the twin engine Doral came with engines up to 320hp Chris Craft.

I sent Poodle a 1973 magazine article reviewing the 24' Donzis when they were first being released- I don't recall if it gave the 'standard' engines for the Spitfire or only the Doral.

Scott, if you still have that email could you please post it- my original is somewhere in transfer boxes now.

Rich

Cuda
01-15-2004, 05:12 PM
I posted this one a while back. I don't remember if it was a Doral or a Spitfire.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffq24.jpg

mattyboy
01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Cuda think that is a spirit 24

There was a 24 spitfire on greenwood lake back in late 70 early 80's lived right near the chicken boat, had twin worked 327's and volvo 280 with e drives the boat was named Jameseyboy a tannish color with brownish interior and big high back seats if I recall right it had a green tinted windshield( and yes it did look good), would I love to find that boat now.

Matty

olredalert
01-15-2004, 06:08 PM
------As some of you may recall from former posts of mine the molds for the El Pescador as well as the Spitfire were bought by Sonic around 1978. They are now languishing in mold purgatory behind the Sonic factory!
------ Sonic built Spitfires almost exactly like DONZI but called them Super Sports. The very first one out of their mold was powered with healthy twin 454s. Drives were Marine Power System. I have a water-test from "Go Boating" on that boat. The claim was that the boat should have hit 80mph but was propped wrong for the test,and only made it to 75.
------There was some sort of front compartment with berths but it was claustrophobic and very hard to get to,as you had to crawl under a deep full width dash,or drop thru one of two front deck hatchs.
------Had a 98 gallon tank,although one could extend that quite a bit as my El Pescador has about 120 gallons. I have also talked to a fella down in Ohio that has one with 3 tanks totaling around 200 gallons altogether.
------That first SS belonged to a friend of mine when the article was written,and he liked the boat a bunch. Unfortunatly,a while after the test someone offered him way too much money and he sold it. Literally a week later the boat came back to him shot full of bullet-holes(He was in the fiberglass repair business). Hey,he lived in Ft.Laudedale. Bullet holes wernt all that uncommon. He patched it up and never saw it again.
------Do I like the 24 hull? OHHHHHHH YEEEESSSSS.It handles the same water a 27 Magnum SS will,and yet you can trailer it with relative ease. Just what the DONZI doctor ordered!......Bill S

Dr. Dan
01-15-2004, 06:45 PM
:D I resemble that remark? :p

boldts
01-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks Bill. Donzi are you reading? Might be a place in your line-up for a 24' Classic with twins? Guess I will have to keep my eye out for a 24' Sonic late 70's, early 80's wink

half fast
02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/4/65279694.htm

Cuda
07-02-2004, 09:50 PM
I was just looking at threads about the Spitfire. This is a 1981 Sonic, is it the same hull as the Spitfire?

olredalert
07-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Cuda,

-----Cant be sure from the pic but I dont think so.........Bill S

EricG
07-03-2004, 12:14 PM
I haven't had time to do a search yet....but does anyeone remember the pictures of the McSpitfire that was posted a couple of years ago? I can't remember if it was real - or someone's sick Photoshop joke...

-EG