PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor Advise

Team Jefe
01-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Yes, I said OUTBOARD. I know "clamp on's" are the red headed step-children of the Classic world, but I have to repower Jefe's Revenge and would like any advise you have.

I am in the process of buying two new (Used) motors which should bolt right on and use the same controls I already have. They will come with Controls and I think, I'll like those better, so any advise:

1. installing
2. connecting Hydraulic steering
3. Intalling new controls
4. Syncronizing (these are counter-rotatitng)
5. These are fuel injected, should I use the oil Injection system, or get rid of it (can I get rid of it).
6. What have I not thought of?

Thanks;

BUIZILLA
01-14-2004, 09:15 PM
It would prolly help the audience, if we at least knew what brand you were contemplating??

Fish boy
01-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Jefe,
you have mail.

BTW, you can run without the oil injection. More of a pain in the a$$ w/o it, but at least I know that I always have oil in my mota.

fish

Fish boy
01-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I guess I was typing while poodle was posting. I don't use the injection, but my motors are carbed. I certainly defer to what the madpoodle suggests.

Fish

Team Jefe
01-15-2004, 07:58 AM
What Brand....DUH? sorry

Current Set up: 1998 Johnson 225 HP OceanRunner (Carbed), twin counter rotating

To spill it all, I toasted one of them a few weeks ago and was looking to rebuild it, but I found:

2000 Evinrude 225 HP OceanPro, FICHT, twin counter rotating.

Poodle/Fish - Thanks for the advise, I thought I would need to keep the Oil Injection system on these motors.

JimG
01-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey man! Don't sweat it... you just take a big glob of 5200 and glue 'em on. :)

Seriously.. when you get ready to do it, Bill, Spencer, Keith and whoever else we can grab will drag Revenge over to Clayton's barn, hoist 'em, mount'em, wire 'em and fire 'em! Hey I like that, it rhymes... :D

No biggie, Amigo!
JimG

Woodsy
01-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Jefe,

As long as you have it all dialed in for the Winni Run, all will be fine! Looking forward to not being the only "clamp on" in the run!

Woodsy Von Outboard :)

Team Jefe
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Dave - If I don't have that thing dialed in by the end of February, I'll go postal and never see the light of day again eek!

MOP
01-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Jeff if you don't already have it borrow the service manual and go through the sync and link procedure on both, many times they are close but no cigar.

Team Jefe
01-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Thanks Phil, Evinrude Maintenance Manual is in the mail.

Cuda
01-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Was that the first year of the FICHT motors? I seem to recall them having some sort of issues with the early models. I could be thinking of the Mercs though. I repowered my fishboat in 2001 and looked at a lot of outboards.

MOP
01-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Anyone know what year Bombardier took ove OMC? I had heard that the problem with the Ficht's were fixed before then Bombardier even made them better.

RPD
01-27-2004, 08:56 PM
The problem with the FICHT was that OMC tested it at idle and at WOT but never did any durability testing at partial throttle, ie cruising speed..... in the field the engines cooked themselves at cruise.... it was a simple matter of rejetting and they made every one of them good, if you only told them about it, but the PR damage was done.... under the intense pressure from the likes of Yamaha, they just couldn't recover.....

As to oil injection, I have always had it on my Donzi, I have had several, and still have two boats, without it..... I sure do prefer it even if it is just one more thing to break.... (1) you burn less oil and, they say, pollute less and (2) it's a hell of a lot easier and (3) you have to check the oil regularly on a 4-stroke (OB, IB, car, truck) and the oil pump could go out on a 4-stroke just like on an oil injection 2-stroke.... so what's the difference?

Team Jefe
01-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the further info.

Yes, 2000 was the first year for FICHT (my understanding). And Yes, they did have problems that required a recall. So, these two have been reworked as follows;

1. New Computer
2. New injectors
3. complete new lower ends

The man who owns them is buddies with an Evinrude dealer and had him go through them pretty good.