PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy a used 22 Classic but...

DonziMon
01-12-2004, 07:34 PM
New guy with a few questions; I've searched the net and previous posts at this board but may have missed the info that I'm looking for.

I've found what appears to be a mint, all original '97 22 Classic that I must have! It looks like a two year old boat (went for a fun ride yesterday after a 4 hour drive to get there), interior is perfect, 454 runs strong (380 hrs) and looks clean, everything works, he's the second owner (first was for only 6 months), has complete Donzi service and maintenance records with a price that seems to be under market. Anybody can tell that this boat has been loved and cared for. So what do I need to look for or ask about? He did say that the prop had a nick but it was "filed out". What would a replacement cost? I noticed that the right exhaust outlet had noticeably more heat discoloration than the left. Not as much as the pipes on my Buell X1 but is this a concern? I haven't been able to find any service interval info yet; what is the status of a 380 hour motor/drive? Are there any "shocker" costs associated with owning these boats? For example, the $5,000 cam belt replacement quote from the Ferrari dealer for my (now ex) '82 Mondial coupe?

Any info, tips, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MOP
01-12-2004, 07:59 PM
My advice always stays the same, compression test and get an oil sample from engine and drive. Oil sampling tells the tale of the inerds.

Speed-Racer
01-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the board!

DonziMon
01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks, and a compression check is in the works from Donzi Marine.

Woodsy
01-12-2004, 08:37 PM
DonziMon...

Welcome to the board! There is plenty of info here, just search. These guys are the best, and there be lots of them southern type Donzi owners more than willing to help out.

Its my advice to have a licensed marine surveyer go over the boat. It will cost you a few hundred, but its money in the bank. Doesn't hurt to present that to the insurance co either to help establish value. Looks can be decieving! Definitely have the oil sampled, compression test, leakdown test and the general condition evaluated by a professional. You didn't say what the price is, but you might want to throw that up here for for a concensus.

380hours is definitely getting up there, was that taken off the computer or the hour meter? You can have any Merc dealer plug in the scan tool and read the actual hours as well as any error codes. What 454 is it? MAG EFI (385hp) or the std 330hp model. The MAG motors definitely command a premium, as the have much better internals, forged pistons, better heads etc. The 454MAG in my 97, (yes guys STILL for sale) has approx 205 fresh water hours. 380 hours in salt is pretty steep. That just gives you reference. I think that about 500hours or so, your looking at a new motor, depending on oil changes, salt water vs fresh etc. If there is some discoloration on the exhaust tips from heat (similar to blued chrome) then I would think that motor was overheated at one point, most likely due to a blockage of some sort. You might want to ask.

Anyway, enough of my rambling... Welcome to the board! Good luck with your purchase... and get a surveyer!

BTW, its great to see a fellow Buell owner here on the board... I have a Limited edition 99 X1 Lightning Race Stripe... it rocks!

Woodsy Von Outboard...

Fish boy
01-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Hey Donzimon,
welcome to the donzi boards. Can't add much to what woodsy said above, but still wanted to welcome you just the same. Always happy to add to the SEADOG family (southeast donzi owners group).

fish

Digger
01-13-2004, 05:45 AM
welcome aboard! (hint: do what Woodsy said)

Morgan's Cloud
01-13-2004, 10:05 AM
The only thing I can add is that if those hours are in salt you DEFINITELY want to check and see if the exhausts are original.I came about 2 weeks away from loosing a 502 (2 years and 154 hrs) with the stock exhausts.
This is a MAJOR issue that dealers never bring up,you only find out the hard way .."experience".

Welcome,I know your'e gonna love that boat !

Steve

DonziMon
01-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks all for some great info. The exhausts manifolds and risers might be an issue but not a deterrent. Asking price right now is mid 20s for The One (http://www.donzi.net/photos/BlueDonzi05.jpg)

Love my Buell but she may have to share for my attention for awhile wink

Barry Phillips
01-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Nice boat! The advice on the previous post are solid, if the motor has problems use it as a bargining tool and drop in an HP 500, yahoo. Anyway welcome.

SO-SLO

chucknoonan
01-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Good looking boat, Donzimon!
But Barry, doesn't an HP525 sound even better!?

DonziMon
01-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Here's the results of the compression test:

140, 150, 135, 150, 140, 140, 140, 150

Are these good numbers for a 380 hour 454 Merc?

BUIZILLA
01-20-2004, 09:46 AM
I see nothing wrong with that, should be a good 87 octane motor anyways

J :cool:

DonziMon
01-30-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty excited right now! I bought this boat for a real good price and the owner is delivering it next week. Right now it's in the shop (Julington Creek Marina) having an EMI Thunder exhaust system installed. WooHoo!!!

boldts
01-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Congratulations DonziMon. Welcome to the Registry and the Donzi family! She looks like she's been well cared for. Hope to see you at a Donzi gathering somewhere in the country. Good Luck with your Classic and many great memories! :)

gcarter
01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Good luck with your new Donzi!!!
And welcome aboard:)

George Carter