PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Area Donzi Meet....

Riley
08-04-2000, 10:27 AM
Hey all of you Great Lakes area Donzi owners.....Why don't we have some type of gathering before summer is over? I'm sure there are enough of us here in Michigan and in Ontario to have a pretty good party! Heck, we've got 5 Classics and 2 Zx's right here in town.

If enough interest in generated, I'd be willing to put something together here in the Les Cheneaux Islands. We've got 36 beautiful Islands, miles upon miles of protected channels, and bays big enough to "blow off a little steam". We are also about 15 minutes to Mackinac Island, for you tourist types. What do you guys think?

I'd be willing to arrange lodging, a breakfast, a dinner, and of course a cocktail party! It would be a chance to meet some new people, enjoy some of the finest boating in the country, and play with our toys. Anybody interested?

Varyak
08-04-2000, 08:46 PM
Riley,
I noticed you were from Cedarville, and it brought back memories of when my family vacationed there in the mid-1960's. In fact I got my first-ever traffic ticket there. But mostly I remember crystal clear water...
In fact, while setting up an event for the Jekyll Island Club, GA, the woman at the club working with me transferred to the resort on Mackinac Island. I asked her to send me a packet because I thought the Upper Pen was a great summer idea for Donzi's. Within weeks I got a great packet and immediately turned it over to Nick Miller (Donzi factory) when he had the Jacksonville Poker Run in early May. I strongly suggested they do an event like the Orlando meet at the hotel under the Big Mac bridge. This one would definitely NOT be a trailer show.
Depending on the dates you select, I do believe I might tow all the way from Florida just to attend. Please keep me informed.
Mark
Sweet 16, but about to receive a 2001 Classic 18 with the new 6.2L motor.

Riley
08-04-2000, 10:34 PM
Hey Mark, where did you and your family stay up here in Cedarville? Do you still have family or friends in the area? Yes, the water is still crystal clear!

I really think we could have a great meet up here. I'd like to do something small either August 19-20 or else over Labor Day this year, with the idea of doing one or two bigger events next year. I've got some solid connections in the Food, Lodging, and Entertainment business here in the Les Cheneaux area, and they are all up for a Donzi event. We could make a trip over to the Mackinac area for a day, but in all honesty the boating is much better here in the Islands.

What's the stroy on the new 6.2 liter engine? I haven't heard anything about that one yet!

I'll keep you informed on our progress up here....maybe I'll have a chance to hear about that traffic ticket in person!

Thanks for your interest....Chris Riley.

Murphy
08-05-2000, 12:11 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I live in Central Illinois but used to summer on Burt and Mullet lakes near Indian River. I'd enjoy a chance to get back to the tip of the mitt.
Depending on the date, count me in.

Murph

Riley
08-05-2000, 08:22 AM
Hey Murphy, we are looking at either the weekend of August 19 or else Labor Day Weekend. You brought up an excellent point about Burt and Mullett Lakes....I'd love to take a group of Donzi's thru the inland waterway from Cheboygan to Crooked Lake. Maybe we'll try to incorporate that run into an event for next summer. Keep an eye on the forum, I'll be letting you know how things develop. There are an awful lot of Michigan, Illinois, and Ontario boats listed in the registry, so I hope we can generate some more interest. Look forward to meeting you, Chris Riley.

Tom on Lanier
08-05-2000, 11:50 PM
Hello Chris, I'm a Michigander living in Georgia. We have seen and lived in many areas of the country and can verify, the area out East of "The Bridge" is just beautiful! We have family in Traverse City, Charlevoix and Sault Saint Marie and will be heading that way right after the Lake Eufaula Labor Day gig.In fact, going to Mackinaw Island on the 10th for a NASBLA meeting (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators). Did the trip from Crooked Lake to Cheboygan and back in my outboard skiff a couple years ago - very neat trip.I envey you, boating in that beautiful area and clear water - in the summer time!
Stay Cool,

------------------
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom on Lanier (edited 08-06-2000).]

Varyak
08-06-2000, 01:11 AM
Chris,
Like Tom, I'm already committed to Lake Eufala for Labor Day, August 18 is a wee bit short fused for me here in Florida. But I DEFINITELY want to attend some sort of event there.I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
THe 6.2L/320hp motor is new for 2001. I really don't have any specific details yet, but I'm going down this Thursday to the factory to take a tour and see how my boat is coming. Perhaps I'll have more info on all the 2001's for everybody. I know that the gauge bezels are now silver for all Classics, vs the red blue yellow white etc to match the hull color. White, red, blue are the only hull color choices now. For those getting the V6 in the Sweet 16, the 210hp 4.3L EFI engine is the standard vs the 190HP 2bbl of previous. MTF (more to follow)

Chris, have you ever met a Dick Bond? He lives east of the town in a cosy log house on one of those small finger pennisulas. It has been 35 years since we were there, but Dick lives there year 'round. His parents, Earl and Millie (both dead, now) were personal friends of my parents, and school teachers who summered up there at this log house. Everyone was from Cleveland. I may bring my Dad to the Donzi Gathering you decide to hold up there. I only have to put up with a few days of "But why can't we fish from your boat?"
Mark

Riley
08-06-2000, 08:53 AM
Tom on Lanier, let's try to get together for a dinner, drink, or coffee when you are up here on Mackinaw. Send me an email: rpmco@lighthouse.net......We'll try to set something up. I travel to T.C., Charlevoix and the Soo all the time for business, and in fact my girlfriend is from the Soo! I'd love to sit down and chat with you for a while.

Varyak, yes I do know Dick Bond, however, the proper spelling is "Bohn". Dick's cousin, Greg Bohn is one of my oldest friends, and is the new owner of the bar that we will use for "Headquarters" once we get our Donzi gathering organized. Dick's sister Sally is married to the owner of the largest Marina in the area, Cedarville Marine. Is this a small world or what!?!?

I'm impressed and flattered that you guys from down South would haul all the way up here. My original intent was to get a few of the guys here in the Mid-West together for a party this summer, and try to grow the event for next year. I personally think there is enough good boating around here to host 2 events per summer. How about a poker run up the Saint Mary's river from Detour to Sault Ste. Marie? With a little imagination and planning I think we could make Northern Michigan one of the national hot spots for Donzi gatherings.

Thanks again for your interest......Chris.

Varyak
08-06-2000, 07:22 PM
Riley,
I'm really motivated to attend your event. If the schedule doesn't doesn't work this year I will definitely be there next year.
Tell Dick and Sally I said "Hi" and look forward to seeing them when we get up there. My Dad will LOVE this event! I actually baby-sat for those two once (early 1960's) when our parents where out together in Cleveland.
Whatever events you decide to hold, I'm certain that the rest of the Donzi Registry attendees will be pleased and amazed at how beautiful it is up there in the summer (and it sure beats the heat here in Jax in July and August.
Mark Laszlo
Mark Laszlo

Tony
08-06-2000, 10:30 PM
I just got back from a week on the beach(Nordhouse Dunes between Ludington and Manistee) and am thrilled to read about your idea for a gathering in the Les Cheneaux Islands. Count me, my '67 16', and my wife in! Will you have enough time to throw it together this year?

Earlier this summer I cruised from Crooked Lake to Cheboygan, via Michigan's Inland Waterway. Great trip, but the trouble is out of a 5 hour total ride time...4 of it is no wake river travel! Too slow of a pace for me, but I was glad to do it once.

Riley
08-07-2000, 06:33 AM
Hey Tony, thanks for the interest. I was wondering when some of the Michigan boys were going to reply to this post! Yes, there is still time to get something together, but it has to be either the weekend of the 19th, ore Labor Day. Hopefully we'll get some more interest over the next couple of days, and I can set a firm date. I know a lot of the guys are going to Lake E. for the Labor Day meet down South, but I still think we can get 8-10 boats together up here for some fun. What date would work for you?

Tony
08-07-2000, 08:54 AM
Labor Day weekend works best, since we have both Friday and Monday off!

Ranman
08-07-2000, 12:35 PM
Riley, I might be able to swing something on either of those dates. I will keep watching the posts to see what happens.

Riley
08-07-2000, 01:42 PM
Hey Guys, I've been doing a little research today, trying to figure out how many potential boats we could get together up here. The numbers from the registry work out as follows: Michigan- 28 boats, Ontario-14 boats, Ohio-9 boats, Illinois-6 boats, Indiana-4 boats, and Wisconsin-2 boats. Thats a total of 63 registry members within a day's drive of the Les Cheneaux Islands.

If we can get 8-10 boats interested in coming up, I'll throw some events together for Labor Day weekend. That date seems to work out best for everybody, and gives me a little more time to get my act together.

So tell your boating buddies to leave a note here if they are interested in getting together over Labor Day. It should be a blast! Chris Riley

Riley
08-09-2000, 04:29 PM
Okay Guys, here is the story: I've got a few things lined up for Labor Day weekend, as far as food, lodging, and entertainment is concerned. Not to mention boating! However, I need to know how many of you are SERIOUS about coming to the Les Cheneaux Islands. Either leave a note here, or else I will be posting some details in the next few days on a fresh post and you can respond there. Look forward to hearing from you! Chris Riley

Tony
08-09-2000, 10:06 PM
Bad news from this front. My neice is coming to town and wants me to partner up with her fiance for a beach doubles volleyball tournament. Apparently she thinks I can still play! So, over Labor Day weekend, I will be in Muskegon. Still bringing the Donzi, but it will be on a different Great Lake. I am definately planning on visiting the Les Cheneaux Islands, but it will be next summer...probably for a week or so. I'll get a hold of you for some tips on lodging, and someone to cruise around the area with. Sorry to bail out...hope it still goes well for Labor Day weekend.