PDA

View Full Version : Hey Forrest, Broke in my Crane Cam Last night!!

RickSE
08-04-2000, 09:43 AM
Forrest,
A while back you'd mentioned that you’re using the same Crane cam as me on a new engine, 272/284 dur. & 454"/480" lift. I finally got my boat all back together and broke the cam in last night; my neighbors really love me. It sounds really good, has a nice idle with a hint radicalness, stock 96 350 w/650 carb & Performer manifold. Now for the real test, I'm going to lake Powell this weekend to see what the numbers say. Have you fired your's up yet?

GeneD
08-04-2000, 09:55 AM
Ricky,
This sounds great and I can't wait to hear your numbers.
I'm betting that you are going to get a nice top end out of this camshaft/carb combo.
Remember, you might be in the market for a new prop after this!
Maybe even a Alpha SS!!!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 08-04-2000).]

RickSE
08-04-2000, 10:41 AM
I'm taking a 19P Tempest (too small) and a 21P Revolution-4. This is all I have since I sent the 19P Revolution-4 back. Mercury Rep. said I may want to try a Laser-II, but thought the 4-blade would be a good fit. I want to try another 3-blade but I'm not sure which one. I'm afraid the Mirage+ will be to close to the Revolution-4. I may end up trying the Laser-II. If I hit 60 MPH I will be happy, it's tough at these altitudes.

Riley
08-04-2000, 06:09 PM
Rick, I'm by no means a propeller expert, but I think if you are looking for max top end you might be barking up the wrong tree with the 4 blade wheel. Back in the early 90's I had a Checkmate Strobe 201 with a 350 mag, and ran a Lazer on it with great results. In fact, I spent a fortune on a custom aftermarket wheel from Spinelli Bros. (great company to deal with, by the way), and the Lazer would run within 1-2 mph of the Spinelli. If you can get your hands on a 21" pitch Lazer II I'd give it a try. You'll be amazed at the bow lift those props have! Good luck with the cam, please let us know how it goes....Chris Riley.

Forrest
08-04-2000, 08:42 PM
RickS, you descrbe that Camshaft like a fine wine!!! Man, that sounds great! Congradulations. I hope to start my X-18 this weekend. I've been a little slow in getting around to finishing everyting. Today I was hooking up a new power-trim pump and noticed that I had pinched one of the hydralic hoses that's inside of the boat between the transmission and the transom plate when I installed the engine. I had to lift the engine a slight bit to free it for replacement. Then it was a real SOB to feed a new hose up there. Anyway, it's done and tomorrow I hope to button up the rest of the loose wires and the fire it up. Glad that my neighbors like me . . . at least for now!

------------------
Forrest