PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure going to miss my 351

Morgan's Cloud
01-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Well guys, we enjoyed a good 16 years together and with good maintenance the sweet little thing ran just about as well as when I got her as the day I took her out... and that's in pure salt water.. no FWC on her !

As I was removing the final traces of wood from the transom yesterday it occurred to me that I better get some advice before I go too much further.

I'm leaning heavily in the direction of a complete new Volvo 350 package.... probably the 350/280 hp with SX Drive.I know that thet leg height is the same as the old Alpha and the transom cutout is the same...(not that it matters as I'm putting in a completely new transom)but here is the question..

How does the engine mount height compare to the old Ford 351's ? I do know that the new one (Volvo's) is about 3.5 inches forward of the old one but nothing do I know about the mount height difference.

I'm kinda looking at the stringers hoping I have enough height ..

Thanks for the help .

Steve

olredalert
01-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Steve,

-----I dont know if this would help or not but an old friend of mine from Cape Cod installed a new V8 Volvo dual-prop package in a St.Tropez back about 1994. The boat was about a 1967/8 or so,and Volvo/Holman-Moody new. I know his kid loved it.Havent talked to him since 1996 but if you think you might need info,I can track down his number for you............Bill S

mphatc
01-12-2004, 07:42 PM
I have a Volvo 290 with trim, rebuilt upper, new lower that is perfect for your application. Save yourself some bucks. This unit is complete, everything needed including the bellhousing back. You can also buy my brand new Volvo Ultra !

MPHATC

Morgan's Cloud
01-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the offers guys.I am however looking at the whole shebang.A lot of the parts other than the engine were older than 16 years and would have been just another weak link if I only put in new engine.I am curious about the new engine's motor mount height.... all of you 'installers' out there.... any advice ?