PDA

View Full Version : I measured, it will fit!

terry
01-12-2004, 08:24 AM
If I put it in before the deck goes back on the X-18, it will fit.....should I do it?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Vipereng.jpe

MOP
01-12-2004, 09:57 AM
That thing is not that heavy and exhaust is available, question is what to hook it to. I think a bravo will go away real fast.

ToonaFish
01-12-2004, 11:42 AM
And the Viper will be powered by?

Bunches,

Celene 'thinking Ted wants better fuel economy in his daily driver'

smokediver
01-12-2004, 12:04 PM
if you do it ... are you gonna put it in the saltwater or just shoot yourself twice ?

BUIZILLA
01-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Ted, my opinion of you has changed....

you went from being a sick pup...

to being an insanely sick pup.. :D

now, you need an RT-10 to tow it in style :p

J

getting out the popcorn for the manifold and riser comments

roadtrip se
01-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Our friends at Illimor(sp?) and Skater have been working on a marine application of the rt-10 engine for over a year. Closed cooling, CMI headers, revised torque curve, and the works.
They just happen to be a few miles from where I live.

But THAT, does not look like one of theirs! I saw one of those at the car show under the hood of a viper and a ram. Going to do your own marine conversion?

HMMMMM,

Todd
"Horsepower always gets my attention, real or wished for!"

terry
01-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Smokediver, good point...I guess I will buy a box of bullet's and go for it.
Celene, that did not come out of my Viper...I am crazy but not that crazy!! :p
Buizilla, actually there is a marine package available from Ilmoore....got the tow vehicle thing covered too, but its a GTS not an RT-10 :D Poodle I would sell the New Scorpion 377 still in the box for $6800.00, killer deal eek!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tedviper1.JPG

terry
01-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Todd, I think your spelling is correct......mine was off.
I would do the conversion myself.... bet that is going to be fun :rolleyes: Also need to come up with the computer box to make it run.....

MOP
01-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Do it Do it! You go where I dream! A good cooling system, conversion stuff and some preventative corrosion work it should be fine. Definitely a heart stopper when you open the hatch not to mention it may actually run :D

BUIZILLA
01-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Scorpion for my Minx???? eek!

payment plan? :D

J

oh what have I gotten myself into now...

mattyboy
01-12-2004, 02:36 PM
HPV10X18,
I would go for it!!
so what's another screen name! wink
I heard the ilmor marine version is like 40k!!!!!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/MV10S_left.jpg

Matty

Ed Donnelly
01-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Electromotive have your computer box,ask for Fred..Ed

Speed-Racer
01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Hmmmmm.....

olredalert
01-12-2004, 04:11 PM
-----I was at a small wood boat show 2 years ago in Algonac and a very clean fiberglass 38ft. Chris-Craft cabin cruiser showed up with two V-10 Dodge truck engines beautifully converted to marine use in it. Guy said he was in the process of making the conversions commercially viable. Said he was from Canada,but someone in the USA also had a lot of input as well.
-----A bunch of us there that day kept coming back just to stare at the engine compartment it was so nice! Havent heard anything about this guys conversion package since. I remember him telling us that all he really had left to do was exaust-manifolds. The ones on the two we were looking at were fabricated and too expensive. also said that the truck motors were really well suited to marine use because of the fantastic torque band the V-10s had.
-----I say go for it as long as Im not writing the checks!........Bill S

terry
01-12-2004, 06:48 PM
As light as the 18's are I think a Bravo XR would handle it no problem,
Just need to see if those stainless headers and coolers are available seperatly...

N2DEEP
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
YES YES YES!!!! Torque, HP, and way cool unique :cool: The only draw back I see is not having the V8 sound. The Viper can sound a bit flat, but with marine exaust, man o man it should scream. Raises the hair on my neck just thinking about it. eek! Where are my keys, I NEED to go for a drive. Good luck on your project!!! Greg :p

Fish boy
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Sick!!!!! Not you, I am feeling sick... I think it is envy. Always did have the coolest toys, but my slot cars were still faster LOL

terry
01-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Fish, thats true! :D You know the weird part is I still have most of them and my Hotwheels too!

Dont get too excited about it yet guys......still alot of problems to be solved.... it sure would be cool though.......

rustnrot
01-13-2004, 08:38 AM
I've seen this guy's ad in one of the classic boating magazines. I at least I gotta believe it is the same guy, from Canada not far from Detroit, has a pic of the engine, nice water cooled manifolds, etc. I can dig up the mag if anyone needs it.

terry
01-13-2004, 09:42 AM
rustnrot
Yes please try to find it for me, it might be very helpfull,
Thanks

riverrat
01-14-2004, 09:59 PM
hell yea!

your the man Ted!

the rat :D

terry
01-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Well, I got no where with Ilmore :(
They will not sell me any parts to make it work, just a complete engine for 36K,
Todd who do you know there? Can you check with your friend there and see if you can get anywhere for me?
Thanks,

roadtrip se
01-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Ted,

I can certainly try. If I show up on their doorstep, maybe they would be a little more agreeable to selling or "lending" me a few parts for research purposes.

Sterling is only a few miles from here too. Jill and I were talking yesterday about stopping in there for an impromptou tour too.

Anybody from the MADCOW want to go terrorize some engine builders?

Todd
"Strength in numbers!"

terry
01-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks Todd,
let me know how it goes. I would need the following....

1. Everything needed to couple it to a Bravo drive from the flywheel back, direct connection, not drive shaft.

2. Oil/Fuel coolers(s).

3. Motor mounts.

4. Exaust manifolds or Headers

I have access to 3 of these engines if you want to build one or two for yourself.

Thank you,

GEOO
01-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Ted,
Do it!!!! :)
If CMI makes the Headers I'm sure they would sell a set to you. I bet you could find out who makes the heat exchanger, oil cooler and other parts and just buy them direct.

terry
01-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, good news..... I did actually speak to Don Norton at Ilmore today. He is in the process of adding up the price for my parts list. eek!
We will see what happens......stay tuned!

roadtrip se
01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Ted,

Long Monday making an honest living. Let me know if you still want some arm twisting done. Happy to do it if necessary.

Todd

terry
01-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks Todd,
I will keep you updated.......they seem to be
a little more helpfull today.

Ranman
01-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Anybody from the MADCOW want to go terrorize some engine builders? Been wanting to pay a visit to Sterling for a while now. LEt me know when the date is.

...wonder what they can do with a small block?

tamburello
01-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Ted, I hope that Ilmor comes through for you. Some Mopar muscle v-10 action in the X boat would make for a sweet ride.

Todd, I'd be in for a cross state trek to check out the scene at Sterling. Let me know if it happens.

- Jeff

terry
01-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Jeff, I sure will keep you and everyone posted on this.
I am psyched!!