PDA

View Full Version : 502 MPI Oil Filter

RedDog
01-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Yesterday I tried to pick up an oil filter from the local auto parts store (actually 2 different ones). I had the Mercruiser part number (35-802885T) that is currently installed but they couldn't cross reference it to anything.

1) should I stick to the Mercruiser brand filter only - I suspect Wix, Hastings, Fram or someone makes them for Merc?
2) if OK to use something other than Mercruiser, what after-market filter will work?
3) the parts counter man said Frams are no good - I've always used them. Any thoughts on this?

Rodger
01-12-2004, 08:06 AM
I have heard much bad info lately about Fram oil filters. I saw a study recently on oil filters. Several brands were tested and cut open for inspection. I guess the Frams don't have much filter material and their anti leak valve is functionly poor. Can't you just use a Chevy filter on your 502? That's what my 454 uses.

Rootsy
01-12-2004, 08:14 AM
i'll agree that fram stinks... i've cut many apart...

on my motor i run blue (AC Delco) which is manufactured by some tier 1 i am sure... same with motorcraft, etc.... as far as teir 1 and aftermarket go, WIX makes good filters...

i believe, but don't hold me to this, that the remote filter takes an FL-1A motorcraft...

Greg K
01-12-2004, 08:58 AM
I've been using the Purolator Pure One filters on my 502. Not sure if it's the same size as what's on yours though.
My part number for the filter I use is PL34631
From what I've read, they are rated as one of the top oil filters.