PDA

View Full Version : Engine Alignment

RickSE
07-31-2000, 05:13 PM
I had to R&R my engine for a cam change and decided I would try and re-align it myself, 18-Classic w/350 & Alpha. I put the engine back in, bought the Mercruiser tool, read my manual and spent 4 hours Saturday trying to align it with no luck.

Am I doing this right by tightening down the rear mount bolts and moving the front of the engine up and down? There's no adjustment in the rear mounts right?

One thing I will try tonight is to slide a piece of 1" dia. rod up into the splines and try to visually align it with the inside diameter of the gimbal bearing. This should get me close. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

RickR
07-31-2000, 06:58 PM
RickS
Make sure your gimball bearing is in straight. If your tool has the metal plate that goes against the bearing give the tool a good smack on the end with a hammer and the gimball should srtaighten out.
You are correct the aft bolts do NOT adjust.

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 07-31-2000).]

RickSE
08-01-2000, 09:21 AM
I worked on the alignment again for two hours last night. I finally noticed that if I center the 1" rod in the gimbal bearing and turn the engine over the rod moves and is no longer centered. To me this means the centerline of the flex coupling is not in line with the centerline of the crankshaft. So either the flex coupling is bad or I screwed up somehow and installed it off center. I think it has to be bad to be off this much.

GeneD
08-01-2000, 09:56 AM
Rick,
This happened to me also. At least it sounds that way.
What I did was find two flat washers and put them on top of the springs and it was enough to bring the motor up to the correct hieght.
Then adjust the two mounts in the front so that you have slip sliding away perfect alignment with the tool.
Give me a buzz, phone number in the email!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

RickSE
08-02-2000, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, finally got it aligned last night. What finally worked was

1) I machined a greater lead-in or chamfer on the front of the alignment tool.

2) Used a piece of pipe to work the gimbal bearing loose. I didn't realize the gimbal bearing was spherical and mine was tight, worked it back and forth to loosen it up.

Now my new problem is getting the drive back on. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif