PDA

View Full Version : Stereo/ANR & intercom etc. ?

tailwind
04-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Having built and flown numerous Experimental Aircraft such as Pitts Specials and even Super Cub rebuilds in Alaska, it has always been a goal to provide an adequate sound system within the cockpit environment. Realizing the decibel range of both motor and stereo combined, it would perhaps be a fruitless idea unless we would like to keep our hearing intact.

For this reason, and having tried makes such as "David Clark", "Bose", Teleflex" and other intercom manufactures, Is there any data out there, within the DONZI net? This could lead to the best of both worlds. Hey "Digger" here is one for you -What do you use in the helos? My best auto squelch unit is hopeless in the wind noise.

RH
04-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Tailwind, I sell a noise cancelling ear muff that was designed for the Armed Forces. It has a unique capability to cancel the excessive noise while picking up the voice conversations. They also have voice activated swing down microphones that you can use for conversation with another wearing the radio headset. I have used these Communication devices in industrial applications and they work great. The manufacturer and myself used them in a paving machinery company in their test cell. When they build the concrete paver, they test all of the hydraulic lines. Three men on the machine, following and looking for leaks and pressure testing. Sitting next to an unshrouded revving diesel, the noise is exteme. I have not tried these in a high speed scenario, so I am not sure how the wind noise would affect it. The company is Peltor, and this is strictly from their industrial side of business. I will ask the rep if they have something for this application. The noise cancelling capabilities is unique. They have a decibel limit that saves your hearing from further degradation.
RH

Looped
04-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Tailwind,
Have you looked at http://www.racingelectronics.com under the Online Catalog link? I have a pair of their best scanner headsets (not the 2-way ones though) that I use at the Winston Cup races and they really deaden the sound even when you are right next to the cars. They also have the 2-way or more communicating headsets that are more on the lines of what you are looking for.

Good luck!
Craig

Dalelama
04-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Tailwind,

I use the Flightcom DENALI ANR in my 300hp. aerobatic biplane... they cut out most all of the low freq. "rumble" that is most uncomfortable, and similar to the "rumble" out of my 4" Minx exhaust. My Acroduster Too is similar to the Pitts S-2-S, but more power, and with elipitical wings. Faster.... slightly slower roll rate, until I extender the airlerons and added large spades.

You might wanna try these out... they come in blue or yellow only. 9v battery gose in a switch box located on the cord.

Digger
04-09-2002, 12:19 PM
Interesting topic. Tailwind, in the VH, or VIP aircraft (whitetops) we use D. Clark headsets, no ANR, because the sound suppression integral to the aircraft is very good. In our fleet aircraft, the CH-46E and CH-53E, we use standard Navy/Marine helo helmets. There is no sound suppression in either of these helicopters. Our helmets have no ANR. It's a cost issue mostly.

But to tell the truth I would not want ANR. Helicopters make a great deal of noise, yes, but some of that noise is indicative of the "health" of the airframe. After a couple years flying these things around, engine problems such as compressor stalls, transmission problems, blades coming out of track, the inception of retreating blade stall, a host of other problems--- even ordinary things, like how much power is being applied--- all these things make a peculiar sound, normally in advance of any gauge or indicator showing a problem, that once heard, prompt you into the proper immediate action. If I couldn't hear all that I would be very uncomfortable.