PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bunks

RickR
07-27-2000, 06:52 PM
Anyone have any opinions on where to mount trailer bunks?
I just ordered a Rolls for my 22 with the bunks uninstalled. On my 18 I installed them in between the strakes. The 22 has them on the chines.
The 18 loads easier and I feel the bunks support the stringers and engine better.
The only advantage I see to mounting them at the chines is to enable the boat to be lifted with a fork lift
(My Donzis DO NOT get lifted with a fork lift) http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

RickR
BTW My old trailer is in the For Sale Forum

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 07-27-2000).]

Hotboat
07-27-2000, 09:51 PM
I like to put the bunks on 22" centers so they will sit under the stringers. I think this gives the hull less opportunity to distort. Remember, our boats in TN spend the majority of their life on the trailer.

------------------
Hotboat

Scott Pearson
07-28-2000, 07:24 AM
Rick,
I have a Rolls Trailer. Its a single axle and rated for 3500lbs and will hold up to a 19 foot boat. I have an 18 2+3. I set the bunks up right under the stringers. A Rolls Trailer you can adjust the bunks up or down and tilt them + or - 30 degrees. Before I painted my hull I loaded it on the trailer and set it up...worked out great!

You will love this trailer.

(NJ) Scott

Forrest
07-28-2000, 09:11 AM
I agree. Under the stringers but not on the lifting strakes.

------------------
Forrest

wbateman
07-31-2000, 08:13 PM
Rick,
I was next to you in Orlando with the 16 on a Rolls. I put them under the stringers. Better hull support that way.
Are you coming to the Labor Day meet?
Bill

Tom on Lanier
07-31-2000, 11:31 PM
Rick, I have a 22 with a bunk trailer set up for the boat from the factory. Teal 22 at Orlando.The trailer is called "Vanguard." If you think it would be helpful, I would be happy to take some measurements from the trailer and pass them on.

------------------
Tom

RickR
08-02-2000, 07:15 PM
wbateman
I will not be at the Labor Day Event, I am self-employed and Holidays are very busy for me.
Tom
My current Performance trailer is factory and has the bunks on the chines. Is that where yours are mounted?
I am working on a 23 Mirage Plus, the seller also has a Hydromotive 22 (in Atlanta), have you ever tried one?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Murphy
08-02-2000, 09:06 PM
RickR

I've been experimenting with props on my 1986 22 Classic (Tempest 300/Alpha 1)this summer. The stock prop was a Quicksilver 19x15 cleaver. I was getting about 55mph (speedo) at WOT of 5400 rpm but handling was so-so. Porpoising in rough water and bouncing around alot. I tested a 22x15 Spinelli and found that it ventilated badly at low to medium rpm. Finally tested a friend's Mirage+ 23x15 and it was great. RPM at wot dropped to 4800, top speed increased to 62-64 mph, no ventilation during acceleration. The best change was handling. No more porpoising, much better stability at all speeds. Yanks skiers out with ease. Even passangers comment that the boat rides better. I'm searching for a used one to buy.

Barry Phillips
08-03-2000, 07:14 AM
My trailer is a Performace and is custom
made for my 18. It has 4 2X6 bunks on
the flat, the outboard pair are positioned
between the chine and the outboard
strake and runs about 1/3 the lenght
of the hull. The second pair of inboard
bunks are positioned between the center
of the boat and inboard strake. There is
no roller or support under the bow. This
setup works great the boat self centers
when loading. If you store the on the
trailer the wide flat bunks offer good
support. The Performance trailer also
offers wide wheel spacing which makes
driving on and off much more forgiving
in tricky wind conditions, I see so many
boats going down the road rubbing the
inside of the fender wells.
SO-SLO

Tom on Lanier
08-03-2000, 07:37 AM
Rick,I think the 22" prop would be way short of where you want to go. While I haven't tried the 22" prop you mentioned, I have tried a Powertech 151/4 X 22" I stopped trying when it got to 5000rpm as the speed was only 58.7 at that point. My boat has the 454Mag 350 hp carbureted motor with Bravo 1 at 1.5:1. I also tried a Merc Rev 4 23" but really couldn't turn it well(4500 rpm). For me, the Merc Mirage 23 and Mirage Plus 23 seem to work best. The plus keeps the rpm just at 5000 under optimal conditions and gives slightly better speed than the original Mirage 23.I also tried a Merc Rev4 in a 21". Acceleration was great but it topped out at about 63 at 5000 rpm. Incidently, a friend has a 22 with a 502EFI and he runs a Merc Mirage 25" in case you go to the other motor.
Regarding my trailer: I have two sets of bunks all of which are 6" wide. The inside set are 160" long. They are just 19" apart at the back measured from the top, outside edge of the bunk. At the front, they narrow somewhat and are 18" apart , again measured from the top outside edge.
The outside set are 120" long and are 43 1/2" apart at the back. These also close a bit at the front to 40 1/2". The outside set are just at the strakes just before they reverse. I didn't get inside this morning to see where the stringers are but this would seem to come pretty close to supporting on them.

------------------
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom on Lanier (edited 08-03-2000).]