PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Options ?

Sam
04-07-2002, 11:00 AM
It looks like I need to replace my Thunderbolt V ignition due to the built in rev limiter. It shuts me out after hitting 4900 rpm. I can go with another Thunderbolt system, version IV or an after market unit. I was looking at a Crane system witch has an ajustable rev limiter and a variable curve slection. Another bennifit of the Crane is that I can use my existing distributor. So... give me your thoughts, I would like to make a decision early this week.

THX
Sam

Klingon
04-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Try one of the MSD's for your type of motor. They have several ones with a "soft limiter" When to get to the limit point it just makes the engine feel like you are backing off on the throttle and keeps the engine running smoothly.
Alan

MOP
04-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Can't resist, why are you trying to get the R's up so high? I have 40 years of building and maintaining. The 23 seems to hit the mark about as good as one could expect. Marine engines do not last at high RPM's. Its fine running them up there if you don't mind rapid replacement for rapid speed.

Phil / Long Island

Donzified
04-07-2002, 08:23 PM
53 m.p.h @ 3800r.p.m.
56 m.p.h @ 4000r.p.m.
Does it get any better?

Sam
04-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Phill, I would like to be in the 5000-5200 range well within the limits of this motor as it is configured. I know there is more there and I just have to find it. I have no wish to spend another penny if I don't have to. I have come this far so I would like to complete the project to it's fullest potential.

Sam :cool: