PDA

View Full Version : Lake Erie

RickR
01-08-2001, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have experience boating around Cleveland.
I am planning a trip with the 22 before Lake Cumberland.
What to see and do by boat?
Where to launch?
Thanks

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

boldts
01-08-2001, 09:14 PM
RickR,
Not sure which major hwy you will use to get to North OH, but I71 & I77 both end at the lake. If you take 71, follow it north until you hit route 6 and go left or west. If you come up 77, you will need to get on I90 west until you either come to 71 or you find a exit that goes to route 6. I have not come up 77, so I'm not exactly sure how to get to 6 off of 90. Follow 6 to Lakewood and their is a state launch ramp there. The ramp is right next to a marina, but I can't come up with the name of it. Once you launch the boat, you have 2 options. 1. Go out the channel to Lake Erie and tackle the bigger H2O or 2. Stay inside the breakwall. In either case, head east to the Cyahoga River. It will be the next large inlet on your right. There is a railroad bridge that passes over the river where you enter. This area is called The Flats and is the Hot Spot for boaters in Cleveland. There are many restaurants and clubs in this area. If you want to relax, continue on up the river. It is no wake until you get up past all the marinas and basically civilization. I'm not sure if it is still no wake, but we got tired of going slow and got into it. One word of caution... If a coal barge comes up the river, take the boat out of gear and wait it out. Those things churn up some large debris from the bottom. Logs... Their bow thrusters really churn up the mud also. If your not into that and your done checking out Shooters for lunch, you can continue east behind the break wall and see the Cleveland Browns Stadium and the Indians baseball Stadium - The Jake. Now if you want to go back out onto the lake, you can access it also from the river, but you won't be able to stop at a small inlet to check out the stadiums. If you decide on behind the breakwall, it continues east until you get to the lakefront airport. This is where the Cleveland Grand Prix is held for the Cart Indy Cars. I believe there is also a sub docked along the shore in this area also.

Let me know when you are coming up. Maybe I can meet you along the way depending on how you come or just meet you at the launch ramp. I love to bounce the Donzi around for a day. Only problem is when I do it, I spend the next weeks free time tightening all the screws, nuts, and bolts. (Usually just the rub rail screws, but if I replace that this winter the way I want to, I should eliminate that hassle.)

Scott Boldt

DonziDave
01-09-2001, 06:56 PM
Just check to make sure the Cyahoga river is not on fire when you go in!

Actually - since they cleaned it up, the area known as the "flats" is really cool.
Dave

Stromer
01-09-2001, 08:32 PM
Rick,

Wromg way buddy! The warm weather is in the south! When are you going to be on the FL west coast anyway?

RickR
01-10-2001, 07:06 AM
boldts
Is the marina at the State Park, on the west side, Whisky Point?
I have had rough water experience (in the Gulf) but am unfamiliar with Lake Erie. What is the normal weather pattern for that time of year?
I am going to visit my father and stepmom in Wooster. They probably wouldn't be in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but they might like the Flats. Can you tie up and have a meal on the river?

Stromer
Be there soon, still working on the 22 (waiting on parts) but she's almost ready for the (stock http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif) engine. Is the dredging of Stump Pass done? I plan on Lake Dora, you going?
How come you need gelcoat?

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-10-2001).]

Stromer
01-10-2001, 08:24 PM
Rick,
Get that 22 done!
As for the dregging of stump pass - I don't think it's done http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

When is Mt Dora? Whith the OMC CH11 - I may have time to travel!!!

I needed gel coat ...well it's a long story. When I originally rebuilt my boat, I never put tabbing on the deck to hull. After some abuse, I noticed the gel cracking on the bottom of the hull. I found the stringer tabbing was "dry" or cracking - so....I re-did it all - re-tabbed stringers and fixed the cracks!!!! AHH OLD BOATS!!!!

Blewbyu
01-10-2001, 08:28 PM
Rick-for weather info,contact the Edmund Fitzgerald Memorial Foundation

boldts
01-10-2001, 08:46 PM
RickR,
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I had to wait until I got home to pull out the map. My wife, daughter, and I went to the Columbus Boat and RV show tonight.

It looks like both I-77 and I-71 both run into I-90. I looked up Wooster and it looks like you will use I-71 north to get to Cleveland. You will take I-71 to 42 north. 42 is not a blue interstate, but it is a red divided highway. Follow 42 to I-6/20 and go west. 42 ends at 6/20 and looks like there is a on ramp to 6/20. Take 6/20 west one exit. As you get off, you will see the entrance to the state park which is named Cleveland Lakefront State Park. From what I could tell, it looks like you will take 83 out of Wooster to I-71. I didn't see Whiskey Island listed on my map so I'm not sure where that is on Lake Erie in conjunction with Cleveland. If you get to Lakewood on 6, you've pasted the state park and gone to far west.

RickR
01-11-2001, 09:21 AM
Stromer
What is tabbing?

boldts
Thanks for the info, I'll pic your brain more @ Cumberland.

blewbyu
I think the Edmund F was in November.
"When the gales of November come calling"

------------------
RICKR

Stromer
01-11-2001, 08:44 PM
Rick R,
Tabbing is the "extra" glass (woven or mat) that is typically 4" to 10" wide and is used to overlap the cloth that was installed up&over the stringers to the hull. It overlapps the cloth glass at the stringer to hull.

Does this make sense????

Blewbyu
01-16-2001, 09:10 PM
RickR-Had a Senior moment and didn't notice the date earlier in the post.Yer right about November-but I'd sooner take on the North Pacific in a blow than Lake Erie!Them big lakes back there jist gimme the Jimmees with their TALL,STEEP ones with bottomless troughs!

boldts
01-16-2001, 10:20 PM
blewbyu,
You are very right about Lake Erie's temper! See my post in "z this and that" I've experienced it. I tried to play Jr. Offshore racer in my 18' Classic and almost lost everything. What a experience!

Scott Boldt

RickR
01-17-2001, 09:19 AM
I lived on Lake Erie in the late 60s. Thats where I learned to ski http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif.
We boated out of Rocky River in a 27" Lymann.
You're right, is can sure can get sloppy in a hurry.

------------------
RICKR

boldts
01-19-2001, 10:47 PM
RickR,
I found an article in a "Trailer Boats" magazine that offers a free Cuyahoga River Guide. It is offered by the Flats Oxbow Assoc. at 216 - 566-1046. The small article is in a Special Central Section of the mag. (Page C8) The article brings to the recreational boaters attention how and what dangers are caused by the freighters using the river.

Scott Boldt