PDA

View Full Version : Steering change?

Blewbyu
01-08-2001, 08:03 PM
My current steering in my '74 X-18 is the original Big-T with built in torque steer.I'm going to replace this winter with the "No Feedback" type system-cant afford hydraulics.Currently 3 turns lock-to-lock.Any recommendations from your personal experiences-i.e 3.0/4.2/4.6 turns?And-is rack and pinion better that the "circular feed" type?I have room for both.I don't think I can get the rack/pinion in the low 3.0 ratio tho.I like the current turn ratio-just wonder if the numerically higher offer such good effort reduction to offset the quickness of the 3.0 enough to change ratio?

GEOO
01-08-2001, 08:57 PM
I prefer a quick ratio for steering. It may be harder to turn the wheel but I think it's better. I have 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. GEOO

Tom on Lanier
01-08-2001, 10:58 PM
Jeff - just FYI, I installed a Teleflex NFB steering system on my fish boat last year. It did what I wanted but that was to keep the boat from turning while I tended to the rods. The system takes the feel out when the motor (outboard in this case)is not properly trimmed ie; no feed back. The turning effort seems about the same as before but there is a little extra effort needed to initiate each movement of the wheel.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

AVickers
01-12-2001, 05:51 PM
I put hydraulics on my 18' and the lock-to-lock number of turns was higher -- I think I went from 3 to 4 from the Big-T to the hydraulic helm...

I loved the helm -- no more torque steer and no more hopping around in the lake. It literally transformed the boat and was worth every penny of the $700 or so that it cost to do the deal. As it is, my only complaint was that the helm was too slow.

The ONLY thing I would have changed is to have installed a higher-capacity helm pump -- which would have reduced the number of turns to about 2.7.

Blewbyu
01-16-2001, 08:38 PM
Yup-I hear yuh.Now-I need to knock $500.00 off that price and still get 2.7 lock to lock,and with no torque steer.That pretty much eliminates hydraulics-even part by part on eBay!Anyone know of a used hyd. steer unit for $200.00 or less?If so-don't post it-email me!

PaulO
01-17-2001, 08:10 AM
Supposedly, there is a partial hydraulic system available for Merc Bravo don't know about Alpha (you are probably talking Volvo here). It is interesting though. It seems that you leave the original power steering setup in place but you connect a hydraulic cylinder to the control valve on the gimbal housing. The cylinder mounts outboard and attaches to the transom and drive upper just like any external hydraulic setup. Curious if anyone know anything about this.
PaulO

BigGrizzly
01-17-2001, 08:21 PM
Look at Imco they had a system like that, also trim masters.

Randy

doug
01-18-2001, 05:53 AM
Depending on who's you get the single ram
system is $1400. to $1700. duel ram is $2400.to $2700. and full hydraulic system is $3800. to$4100. The profit margin must be
pretty good at when you get over a $1000.
for a small hydraulic cylinder even in stainless.
Doug

------------------
old Yeller