PDA

View Full Version : Donzi gasoline deck cleaner!

DFLOWER
07-24-2000, 08:07 PM
Is the person in charge of the donzi web site & t-shirt distribution also in charge of the gas receptical location as in dead center of the bow? Also how do they manage to get the gas to over flow all over the deck before or in sync with the gas over flow vent? It is so embarassing when this happens on land or at a gas dock.

Does anyone have a good technique to avoid this problem?

Thanks Dave

Tony
07-24-2000, 10:34 PM
The first time I filled my pride and joy I overflowed bad...very embarassing! Silly me, I presumed the automatic shut off on the pump handle would do its trick.

Since then I climb the tongue of the trailer and lay on the foredeck, with a towel uust in case, and position my ear as close to the opening as possible. Then, pumping the gas in at about medium speed, I carefully listen for an "almost full" sound.

One day I asked at a marina why the shut off thing doesn't work, and some gal tells me to try this trick: Plug your air vent and the shut off feature will work! So, silly me, I try this...and I get a gas overflow 3 seconds after starting to pump!

Blewbyu
07-25-2000, 03:32 AM
Betcha ya got the cleanest ears in the m
marina tho.....
Regards-Uncle Jeffrey

------------------

Tom on Lanier
07-25-2000, 05:13 AM
Dave,
The person who selected the fuel filler location,got paid to do that. Our Harbor Master does what he does, for all of us, without monetary compensation.
I think I'll just accept the "Wax on, wax off" theory!
Tom

FASTEDDIE
07-25-2000, 06:09 AM
I am happy to report that the gas filler neck has been moved to the extreme left (passenger) side on the new 2000 Classics.

Christopher Gentile
07-25-2000, 07:58 AM
Keep a dry cloth handy and go slow man. My 16 has a center fill up. It only seems to spout gas off the top at first. I let the gas guy do it, I warn him and if he makes a mess. Well its his clean up.

Donn Booth
07-25-2000, 03:07 PM
HELLO ; You cought my attention on this one. Here is a good winter project (for those above the frost line, those below are on there own!). Find yourself a piece of unfinished pine board, about 1/2" square and
3' long (any softwood will do.) Empty your fuel tank (should be done at least once in the boats life.) Have in memory the capacity of your tank. Now add 5 gallons of your engines favorite fuel, dip the stick (this is where it got it's name 'dipstick') all the way to the bottom of the tank and pull it out. Do NOT let it stay in the tank too long. When you pull it out you will note a wetted area. Cut a notck or groove at the top of the wetted area. Repeat for 10, 15, etc. gallons. Now when you pull into your engines favorite fuel stop, you can 'dip' the tank and (with a little subtraction) know how much is needed to bring the level to where you want it, and maybe not clean your ears at the same time !!

Hotboat
07-25-2000, 06:13 PM
Ok for the 16's but will not work on an 18. The hose on a 16 has a straight drop to the tank. The 18's have a inlet hose that snakes aroung the front ski storage (or whatever that canal is for). A staight piece of wood will not make the bends.

------------------
Hotboat

Donn Booth
07-25-2000, 07:17 PM
I'm learning !! I stand corrected, I was thinking 16'. thanks

------------------
1969 Sweet '16'(C-509), HM 289, Volvo 270

Hornetman
07-26-2000, 09:24 AM
I saw an add somewhere a few years ago that there was some type of inline device that could be put in line with the vent line from the tank that would whistle when the tank was aproaching full. Has anyone ever heard of such a product??? Or has anyone tried one out?

GeneD
07-26-2000, 12:05 PM
I am embarrassed to say that this has never happened to me.
My fuel tank was custom built for my boat and I made sure that the hose inlet was in such a position that the hose bend was very minimal. I get a straight shot into the tank and yes, I do listen for that "full" sound. Most times, I look at my fuel gauge and figure out how much fuel it's going to take and then watch the pump dial. When I'm close, the ear goes to the deck.
I've done this on all my boats, from my 15' Checkmate to my 30' Sportfish.
It works.
You can also whistle a tune while waiting for the fuel to fill up, "Bad to the Bone" is a good one. In some of you guy's boats, this may be a few hours considering the fuel capacities some of you all are reporting!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

RickR
07-26-2000, 01:33 PM
Hornetman
I use a gas whistle on my 18 and it works like a champ. When the gas reaches the whistle (in the vent line) the whistle stops and you quit filling.
I have been looking for one to use on my 22 but I cannot find one through the regular outlets.
I guess I'll try the Racor Check Valve.
Has anyone had any experience with the check valve?
Should I use the big or small one?
Our toys pollute the environment enough, we don't need to add to it by spilling fuel, especially in the water http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
RickR

riverrat
07-26-2000, 06:34 PM
I've got the 1st boat with the fill on the side.. it's a '99. they patched the hole in the center of the deck!! I inquired about the patch before I bought the boat & as usual the dealer knew nothing about it. so I called the factory & got the answer. the patch was done at the factory. and they have caught alot of flack about moving it from the center of the deck. I for one am happy it's where it is. you still have to watch the fill process however...

sd