PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

RickR
01-07-2001, 04:11 PM
My fuel pump puked out on me (literally)
I plan on using a Holly Marine on the Generation V BBC water pump/fuel pump assembly.
Have any tips, especially on bending the stainless tubing?
Thanks

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-07-2001).]

BigGrizzly
01-07-2001, 04:49 PM
Don't use stanless steel, its not compatable with the brass fittings on the carb and aluminum pump body. I ran into much trouble with deteriation and cracking of fittings. I now use braided hose. Also try to double flair the ends, I couldn't do it.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 01-07-2001).]

RickR
01-07-2001, 06:21 PM
BigGrizzly
The stock lines are stainless w/brass flare fittings.. I just need to bend them enough to fit the new pump.

------------------
RICKR

RickR
01-08-2001, 04:28 PM
The Holly cannot be used on the belt driven assembly so

The diaphram is bad on my Carter pump;
The automotive Carter costs $21.99, the Marine costs $79.95

How about buying the automotive pump and using its diaphram in the marine Carter?

------------------
RICKR

Ralph Savarese
01-08-2001, 04:47 PM
Use an automotive pump and drill out the weep hole and put a piece of tubing into it .Run a vacuum hose up to the carb and you got yourself a marine pump . I have done this for years .The main purpose is to prevent fuel from getting into the bilge if the diaphragm ruptures.

Tito
01-08-2001, 05:51 PM
That is partially right , if you take apart your marine pump you will see that it has a thicker diaphragm and spring as it is designed to pump fuel (at low pressures ) even if it fails. You can use a regular tubing bender on stainless lines, if you do not have one they are commonly available at most Auto Parts suppliers, they are used for brake lines as well, I suggest you get the one with the plastic guides and the turn screw.

[This message has been edited by Tito (edited 01-08-2001).]