PDA

View Full Version : Wierd water issue

Bad Dog
07-24-2000, 04:14 PM
Okay, so I get off the lake after about 3.5 hours of wakeboarding and pull the plug on my boat as I always do... water gushes out. More than I've ever had (by far), gallons and gallons.

I put the boat in again this weekend and searched for water leaks around the engine and drive. I couldn't see or hear any. I had the boat in for about 10 minutes at varying speeds and still no sign of water.

The only thing I can think of is that when I first put in last week the water was very choppy coming toward the ramp from behind the boat, 1-2 foot waves that hit the exhaust manifolds. I don't know if water could go in that way.

I was also wakeboarding with the boat listing severly to port to make the wake better, but I can't imagine what impact that would have.

Anyone got any thoughts or had issues like this?

I am baffled.

Bret

FrequentFlyer
07-24-2000, 05:08 PM
Wierd!

I came to the site to ask the same question! I was out yesterday, very chopy, and I also took on a lot of water.

I hope someone out there has some insight.

BERTRAM BOY
07-24-2000, 05:18 PM
Guys,
I was having the same problem, then I discovered that the bilge pump outlet was mounted to low, and I was taking on water that way. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.
BERTRAM BOY

Craig
07-24-2000, 08:25 PM
Never thought of the bilge pump outlet, but that sounds like a real good possibility. I have had more water than I thought I should have after skiing (and wakboarding, and tubing, etc.). I do think turning when you're barely planed like you sometimes do, skiing with kids, for example, or wakboarding = pretty slow and sometimes not even quite planed,that you get more water in the boat than you'd expect. Even possibly thru the back air vents or if your deck to hull seam under the rubrail (trim) is getting old (i.e. cracked allowing holes/leaks).

Gearhead99
07-24-2000, 08:51 PM
I would look at the seam where the rub rail is. I have had on Donzi's water come in at the seam between the side of the hull and the topside. Where the joint is. Look under the rub rail at the seam and see if it needs sealing. Same on the transom too.

FrequentFlyer
07-24-2000, 08:57 PM
Interesting.

A friend and I were discussing this (he has had the same problem in his '76 18 2+3) and we came up with the same two theories. I offered the bilge outlet theory and he came up with the seam theory.

The next time I'm headed out I'll plug the bilge outlet and see how much water I take on.

I'll report back later this week.

oldLenny
07-26-2000, 12:15 PM
how are the bellows???

digitalMan
07-26-2000, 05:22 PM
I think it's the bilge pump outlet. I towed a 25 footer about a mile other day and I hooked the tow line to the aft cleat on the same side as the pump outlet. I know, there are better ways to do this, but it was midnight and I was tired. The force pulled that corner of the boat real low in the water.

When I pulled the plug at the launch ramp, a couple gallons came out. Also the bilge pump kicked on automatically a couple times on the way to the ramp.

My boat's an outboard so up until now I figured the water came in through the seals on the 2 deckplates in the splashwell. That never made total sense but... Now that you guys mention the bilge pump outlet I'm sure that's where it came from.

FrequentFlyer
07-26-2000, 06:07 PM
Lenny -

I was away last week on business. Since I was away I figured I'd use the "down time" to have some overdue work done. The marina had the drive off to fix a bad shift cable. When I returned I was told that the bellows were fine. Since the water problem existed before the shift cable repair was done and since the bellows were verified as OK I don't think it's likely they are the source of the problem in this case.

FrequentFlyer
07-30-2000, 08:08 PM
Crappy weather on Long Island this weekend. Test will have to wait until next week.

FrequentFlyer
08-11-2000, 11:52 PM
Taped up the bilge outlet and went out on a roght day. Still lots of water in the bilge so I guess that's not it.

Blasted the underside of the rubail at the stern with the hose while my buddy had his headunder the hood. Not a drop.

This is really starting to bug me.

oldLenny
08-12-2000, 12:01 AM
digitalMan...I didn't realize you had an outboard. Is there any chance that the water is coming in from the openings for the shifter/steering cables within the well opening. I am not familar with a Donzi outboard layout, but any outboard creates a lot of reverse spray from the leg/shaft while traveling. Just a guess...cheers