PDA

View Full Version : X-18's

Tony
07-23-2000, 11:02 PM
Recently someone asked about the differences between the X-18 and the 2+3. Below is a link to a good picture to illustrate them...notice how the deck flares up just fore of the cockpit, and another, sharper one, just aft of the engine hatch. Also, supposedly, the bucket seats have higher backs. Is there any truth to this? I wonder why?

'73 X-18 (http://www.donzi.net/hull/DMR180820873X/Mvc-003s.jpg)

AVickers
07-24-2000, 05:46 PM
The X-18 I saw had front seatbacks that were half a foot taller than those on this boat. Also, the rear seatback didn't wrap around like on this boat (or on the Classics). The rear cushion was like a bench seat -- straight across.

Maybe they played with the interiors and railings on these boat over the years of production...

Still way-cool looking!

Hotboat
07-24-2000, 09:22 PM
My '74 X-18 also has high back seats, 2 vents, and no side rails. But it does have a long handle under the rear seat for the passengers to hang on to. My Classic 18 does not have that, but a very neat idea. Rail(handle)is mounted with the same supports as in the center of the side rails of a Classic.

------------------
Hotboat

bverd
07-25-2000, 09:24 AM
I was curious about the interior as well. I have a '78 X18 that I love. It has the bench seat with the straight back rest, w/rail below the bench. High buckets in front that don't swivel, side rails, two vents to the engine compartment. It is at the shop right now getting the finishing touches on a full face life. When I get it back I have all new chrome and stickers to put on it. Can't wait.
I was curious about the rail under the bench as well. Did any of the other classics ever have it. I have not seen it on anything but the X-boats. Granted I have not been in the back seat all that much but it seems that it using as a grab bar seems a little difficult?
http://www.verd.com/photos/donzi/donzi.jpg

Brad

[This message has been edited by bverd (edited 07-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by bverd (edited 07-25-2000).]

Forrest
07-25-2000, 11:26 AM
The X-18 actually has a lower deck than the 18 2+3, but the dash and gunwale around the cockpit raise up to the 2+3's height. The engine hatch is lower than the 2+3's, especially toward the stern. For that reason, you will often find X-18s running jet-boat type aluminum-log exhaust manifolds and risers since the standard I/O installation does not easily allow center-rise units. On the other hand, the Stainless Marine exhaust systems are lower the other's center rise systems and will usually work without hatch modifications. My '77 X-18 came factory equipped with the Mercruiser 280TRS package, which was a 350 Chevrolet with power steering coupled to a big 'ol TRS outdrive. In order for the factory to get the proper X-dimension, they had to mount the engine so high that three fiberglass engine-hatch "bubbles" had to be used to provide clearance for the flame arrestor AND exhaust risers. The hatch was also hinged from the side not the rear. This configuration made the hatch very weak and by the time I bought the boat, the hatch a rather large crack from people standing on it to get in and out over the transom. I have since glassed up the holes left by the riser bubbles, relocated the hinges to the rear, and re-gelcoated the entire hatch. The center bubble remains for the flame arrestor remains, though.

If I can get my butt in gear, I'll have my X-18 running in a couple of weeks. Right now I'm trying to sort out a rats nest of wiring with "rigs" done by the past owner through the years. I don't think that I'll be bringing it to Lake Eufaulla - but who knows. Now, if Bilt-Rite would hurry up and finish my upholstery for my 16 . . . I dropped it off in April . . . other than that, the 16 is ready to go.

------------------
Forrest

RickR
07-25-2000, 11:29 AM
My grab rail in front of the back seat was installed by the original owner(90 Classic 18)
It sure comes in handy when I am in the back seat and my wife is driving http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
RickR

Blewbyu
07-25-2000, 03:54 PM
I have a 74 X-18-no rails on deck,dash,or bench seat.Seat is straight bench, high buckets swivel,4 vent cowls,rear hinged hatch w/round/rare? lock on hatch.Also has pop up cleats which serve as mini grab-bars for passengers to use during airtime.Believe last owner added those.Anyone know if they were option? The one thing that stands out about the X-18-it's REAL easy to take a few gallons of water on- right in your lap if you're not paying attention when it's a bit rough out or a large boat passes-need to keep the bow UP w/throttle and either broadside to the wave or straight into it. My boat has 25 gal tank.Anyone have bigger tank? Would think the 40 gal tank wd put the nose in the water when full?
Regards-Uncle Jeffrey
------------------

[This message has been edited by Blewbyu (edited 07-25-2000).]

Hotboat
07-25-2000, 06:07 PM
My X-18 & Classic 18 are sitting side by side in the basement. It appears that the front deck on the X is flat until it starts to raise. The Classic has a crown to it. Also the front of the engine hatch is 2 inches higher on the X when measured from the lowest point of the bilge. Could not measure the aft end of the hatch but it does appear to be lower on the X.

------------------
Hotboat

harbormaster
07-25-2000, 06:23 PM
ooooooh Braaaaad.....

Since you couldn't send a photo of your X-18.
I snagged it off of your website and put it on your registry page.

And Mr. Baxter.... where is the registry entry and photo for your new X-18??

The Harbormaster keepin' tabs.

Tony
07-25-2000, 10:00 PM
All this talk about X-18's makes me think of the other rare classic, the Corsican. (Even rarer than the X-18, only 56 built compared to 176) I think I'll start a Corsican link...

GEOO
07-26-2000, 09:41 AM
Blewbyu,
I have a 1975 X-18. I replaced the 25 gal tank with a 41 gal tank from Donzi. I had to remove the deck and move the rear bulkhead back 12" or so. I also had to remove the storage tray under the floor hatch. Most of the foam in these older boat are full of water. I took out over 200lbs of wet smelly foam. I installed small drain hoses up to the drain holes, in the ski tray, above the tank, so water would not drain on top of tank. I also install small drain tubes to the gutter, for the engine hatch, so water would drain down to bilge instead of dripping on my trim pump and engine. GEOO

Forrest
07-26-2000, 02:48 PM
I guess that I should register my other two Donzis, too. I'll take some pics of the X-18 this afternoon if it's not raining (again).

Scott, all X-18's came out of the same mold. I bet the they used some aluminum log manifolds or some one came along and filled the holes and removed the bubbles. Scott, I saw pictures of your X-18 including the engine pics. Like me, I'm sure that you noticed that there is 4" to 5" of drip lip cut off of the rear port side of the engine hatch opening. My X-18 still has that area cut away since it's relatively easy to repair the engine hatch but very difficult (for me) to repair the hatch opening drip lip.

------------------
Forrest

GEOO
07-26-2000, 04:06 PM
My rear seat flies out of my X-18 at speeds over 60mph. Does anyone else have this problem ? More importantly a cure? GEOO

AVickers
07-26-2000, 05:46 PM
Duct tape?

AVickers
07-26-2000, 05:47 PM
No really.

How 'bout attaching a couple of Velcro strips.

Blewbyu
07-27-2000, 04:20 AM
GEOO-I have 3" wide velcro under bottom cushion of back seat, one on each end running parallel to the keel.Never have had it fly out or even come loose.Marine 5200 used under strip atchd to fibreglass, Monel staples used on wood bottom(cushion).
Sounds as if the tank change is more than I would care to attempt now, but a slow month in the winter may change my mind.Was most of the 200 lbs. of wet foam in the bow?
or was it all over the place?
Regards-Jeff

GEOO
07-27-2000, 03:23 PM
Jeff,
The bow foam was soaked!! The foam under the floor, on the outside of the stringers also heavy.
Duct Tape!!! I thought that was for engine water hose repairs?
I was thinking of Velcro but was trying to think of a different method. Some Cigarettes used a plastic snap under the cushion. GEOO