View Full Version : Back from the scales, UPDATE

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Total rig 14440
minus truck 7020
Trailer/Boat 7420

Trailer GVWR 7000 I am over by 420
Capicity capability 6160, again 420 over
no matter how you look at it, and she will be heavier loaded up.

Subtract 840 for trailer the 26ZX NO TOYS completely stripped, full tank of gas
weighs 6580

So POODLE what do you think I should do? Am I close enough not to sweat? I plan to call my dealer and FASTLOAD today.
Bryan

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellscales01.jpg

Sam
04-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Drink lite beer ! sorry man I couldn't help myself.

Sam

GEOO
04-06-2002, 01:05 PM
I have a simular problem with X-18. I try and do all my long distance trailering with an empty fuel tank. Also check the tire ratings. I was able to change from a bias ply to a radial and gained alittle load rating for the tires. GEOO

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-06-2002, 01:13 PM
What gets me is I will probably be the one to eat the cost difference for the correct trailer if I want to move up.
Dealer points to FastLoad
Fastload will likely point to DONZI's advertised weight of 5000 pounds not 6000.
Therefore the problem will land in my lap.

I will just wait and see what happens.
Bryan

JimG205
04-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Bryan-Trying not to get too technical,but is your trl. now box beam construction or c channel?
Also,how many leafs in your springs?Is an upgrade possible? Good luck,my opinion-it's always better to go with more than less. Jim

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-06-2002, 07:39 PM
JIMG, that is a bit technical! :confused:
An upgrade is one option. My dealer has already offered to give me all my money back for the trailer and I can replace it, he will let me know more options late Monday.

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Thanks Poodle, won't know anything until Monday.
Minus a full tank I am inline so for now I will keep the gas low for trips.
Thanks
Bryan

Last Tango
04-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Bryan,
I'm certain you will keep us posted on this trailer thing. I looked at a 2000 26ZX today witha 502 and lots of special graphics and do-dads. No trailer. I, have been waiting with special interest to see how the scales measured you. I can always get a stronger trailer, since I can pick one. But I am woried that the boat will be too heavy for my tow vehicle. My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD, V8, is rated for 6500 pounds. I, too, believed the Donzi Catalog as rating the 26ZX at 5000#. Hmmmmm. Must be that the catalog listing of "Hull Weight" means just exactly THAT - without the motor, drive, and running gear. If that is the case, perhaps I'll drop a note to Donzi in the ASK the Factory thread to clarify that point. That also means my Porsche Cayenne S with a tow rating of 7700# won't be strong enough either.
Maybe I'll just have to make do with the C18 and the Z3250.
Mark :cool:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-07-2002, 10:00 PM
Tango, I just traded my 01 Grand Cherokee for an F250 PSD, she could get her to where she needed to be but was unsafe and way out on towing capicity which we knew then. But we delayed upgrading the tow rig because of the out of pocket for a new boat. The first time the Cherokee slid down the ramp a foot while launching was enough for me!!!

5000 was the weight in 2000. The 01's and 02's are much heavier, and Donzi will gladly fax you the preformance sheets which show the weights.
Yep, new brochure, no update on the weight! Not sure why.

On a positive note, how many 6600 pound boats can run 67/68 MPH on a single BB???
I am proud of this and the weight makes the rough water ride SWEET! She rocked the bay today! The twin step design is awesome, Donzi did a great job designing the 26ZX for total package performance.
We launch again Monday morning for another bay run and lunch.
Bryan

Digger
04-08-2002, 07:23 AM
Bryan, I'll be very interested to hear what the dealer says. I hope they work with you-

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-08-2002, 09:29 AM
Thanks DIGGER, I hope to know something today, I am letting the dealer handle things for now.
Meanwhile we are of to hit the ocean rollers and a nice lunch, and no children today!
A fun day is planned.

Talk to ya soon, Bryan

FRANK C, what trailer is your 26ZX on?
I have gotten a few emails from other 26ZX owners, trailer size varies.

pmreed
04-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Just an idle question here. I was just over at the Donzi site doing a little research and ran across this tidbit of information. The listed dry weight for the new 38'ZR is 8,200# for the race version and 8,700# for the custom version. How do they add 12 feet, a BB and outdrive, etc., etc. for less than 2000# :confused: ? O Well, too much time on my hands I guess.

Phil

Shanghied Again
04-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Bryan, I am on a QuikLoad alluminum trailer rated at 7500lbs good trailer, But not my next choice. I pulled her to Sarasota and back at 70-75 mph with no Issues. And after the Poker Run I was just at, They can keep there Sonics, Sunsations Bajas and Velocitys. The only boat that had a single engine in that run and took me in the roug water was a Pantera. The Sonic and Velocity looked like a bouncing ball and the Sunsation was bouncing from side to side and that was at 45MPH The Baja was a 29 Outlaw and he looked like a rag doll those guys couldn't get to 55 like I could. The water was 4-6ft and was a pure washing machine We got wet! But she rode straight tight and Strong! :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-08-2002, 09:56 PM
PMREED, I sure can't answer your question!
My dry weight (no gas) is 5950. I only know what my baby weighs.
Above was the scales tickets and I have it from the factory in writing that they weigh 6000 pounds off the floor and out the door. eek! What does the website say a 26ZX weighs (5000, I just checked)?

FRANK, glad you had fun. I knew you would love the ride. We rocked the bay again today, were all sunburt and tired etc...
It was fine day until I blew a rear tire on the trailer on the highway...
So, things to do tomorrow, buy a new tire for one!
I need a new jack and it is time to change all the fluids.... it never ends! Having fun is hard work! wink

Stay in touch FRANK, we'll talk soon.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-09-2002, 08:08 AM
I just spoke with my dealer, he admits I am on the wrong trailer!
He is looking into getting me a new one maybe a different make and having it delivered.
Bryan

Digger
04-09-2002, 12:25 PM
thats great Bryan! if he's looking for suggestions I'm very happy with Owens and Sons, 727-323-1088. keep us posted-

Sean
04-09-2002, 02:33 PM
I had a 1999 26ZX and hauled it 700 miles round trip a number of times on a Loadmaster aluminum trailer. They're not a beautiful trailer but many commented on the fact they wish they had one. No rust and it pulled great. I agree the new 26ZX's are made heavier than the '99 I had. I hit the side of my '99 and then a 2000. What a difference. At least Donzi is striving to make improvements. It just appears they need to keep the catalog current. Not worth taking a chance. Get something that will make your pulling comfortable and take a load off of your mind.

RH
04-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Sounds as though your dealer is standing by you all of the way. That is how it is supposed to work in a perfect world! I know that is is all a hassle taking care of these things, I'm just glad that you won't get stuck springing for the upgrade! Now get out and enjoy it. We are finally getting some decent weather in Iowa, now if we could just get some nice spring rains to raise the lake levels....
RH

SundanceKid
04-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Bryan,
If you do go with another brand of trailer, go with either a Loadmaster (http://www.loadmastertrailer.com/)or South Florida Trailers (http://www.southfloridatrailers.com/). They make some of the most durable and the finest trailers available.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys.
He said he would get me in the right trailer, we didn't cover the delivery or if he was footing the whole bill, I think he will, he was shopping today for one.
I will keep you posted.

Great speaking with you today Mr Poodle. Your a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.
Bryan